Author Topic: How Baha is changing my life  (Read 4239 times)

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
How Baha is changing my life
« on: May 05, 2011, 06:40:40 am »
I've had my BAHA (Ponto Pro) almost a month now. While it does not "fix" everything, it sure does make a lot of things better. Meetings and low- to -middle-noise social situations are so very much better. Almost normal, in fact.

In fact, apparently it is working too well. I am in San Francisco for a conference and last night I called down to the desk for a wake-up call. I kept punching buttons on the phone, but the darn thing wouldn't work. It took three tries of hanging the phone up and trying again to say to myself:

"Oh yeah, I'm deaf on that side. Dumbass." The silence on the phone was deafening....until I put it on the other ear.

I have not done anything like that since surgery. The fact is, with Baha, I, and others, notice that I do no longer automatically angle my body to the person I am talking with so they can speak into my right ear. I can more or less look people in the face dead-on. I also don't have to twist my neck 100 degrees if the person sitting to my left wants to say something to me.

This really is a big improvement for me.

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: How Baha is changing my life
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 07:35:58 am »
Oh, I am so excited by your story!!!  The abutment for my Ponto Pro will be put in during AN surgery next Wednesday ...... should be a processor in August.  I can hardly wait.

Loved the part about the phone wake-up call!!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

grega

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 07:50:39 am »
Glad for ya, Tod! Keep up the humorous side of this ordeal   ;D  I've had similar positive experiences as you.

And Clarice, wishing you the best with both AN and BAHA ..... won't be long now  :)

Greg
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 08:01:03 am »
It really makes a difference...mine is in the shop for 3 days now, and my wife has to TALK REALLY LOUD, and I have to turn my head to listen, and cup my hand around my good ear to hear the TV. And yes, I've tried to listen to the phone on my bad side. There is some humor with ANs....we'll never make the Leno Show, but I appreciate or pitfalls! I have had people ask me about that thing on the back of my head, and I had told them that I can't tell them what it is...but I work for Apple, and walk away.

grega

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 08:04:02 am »
James ....... when people ask me the same. I look around quickly and start swatting, as if chasing away a flying something-or-other.   Usually gives them a chuckle!
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 11:23:51 am »
I've probably said it a million times in the past 3 years, but I'll say it again just for kicks.

Getting a BAHA has probably been one of thee best things I've done in my life; no contest.

I've never regretted having the surgery and I don't think I ever will.  It'd do it again in a heartbeat.  My BAHA has made a huge difference in my post-AN life.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ksiwek

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 12:55:26 pm »
So glad you are having a great experience!!!!  I am sure that your neck is enjoying the break  ;D

Happy Hearing!!!

Kris
Translab 6/4/10 for 4+ cm left AN.  Drs Friedman and Schwartz at HEI saved my life!
BAHA surgery on 10/7/10 with Dr Battista of Chicago Ear Institute (Oticon Ponto Pro)

heyct

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 01:39:00 am »
Love the comedic stories. I hope that happens to me soon! I'll have to think of something for myself:) Just had BAHA surgery earlier today & feeling good, except I can't sleep:)

People/doctors/etc just don't quite understand. I'd swear my migraines are caused from my balance compensations & constant neck craning to hear people. It's a very subtle position, but constant. Maybe the BAHA will even help with this!

Glad to hear so many positive stories.
Carolyn
Diagnosed 2/09
9 x 6mm
Translab Surgery: 5/20/09, Stanford..it was a Hemangioma!
Almost complete removal, will have to do update MRIs.
BAHA Ponto Pro 5/9/11

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 03:33:54 am »
Carolyn, it would not surprise me that your migraines could be caused by "balance compensation & constant neck craning", it makes sense. Of course, I am not a doctor so I don't actually know anything.

Congratulations on your surgery....BAHA can truly be quite helpful.

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

Lynn Mc

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 08:55:07 am »
Love this post!!!!  Can't wait till July for my turn!!
Translab 01/22/10.  12 x 11.7 x 8.2 mm.
Dr's McKenna/McCall at Mass Eye & Ear,
Dr. Barker at MGH. 
SSD - No other significant problems post surgery, just some minor inconveniences!  Yipee!!
BAHA implant 04/08/11 Dr. Merchant
BAHA Gotcha 07/25/11
"Life is Good"