Author Topic: Surgery scheduled  (Read 2429 times)

Itheus

Surgery scheduled
« on: May 03, 2011, 04:10:06 pm »
I don't really have that unique of a story, but it feels good to write this (I may start a blog - my wife does one for her marathon training and loves it).

I am having surgery on July 21st with Dr. Gantz at the University of Iowa hospitals.  He came highly recommended and got my insurance figured out (THANKS Cheryl!  :) )

My initial diagnosis was about 2mm - however Dr. Gantz had me do another MRI since UofI had one with much better resolution.  He says it's actually closer to 8mm.  I spent 6 hours at the hospital last Tuesday going through tests and scheduling...and I decided to take the "get this thing out of me!!" approach.  It's been consuming my thoughts.  This is the route Dr. Gantz recommended, and I really do trust him.  He does about 60-80 of these a year. I'm 31 years old, and he feels we need to go for a long term solution.  I'm quite nervous, though I feel like this is the right decision.

He told me I should probably plan for a month off work - I've seen others that need much longer.  I have a desk job that's mentally demanding, but not physically demanding.  I know everyone is different, but what are the experiences for the amount of time needed off work?

Thanks - this forum is so helpful in many ways!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 05:08:56 pm by Itheus »

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Surgery scheduled
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 04:24:30 pm »
Itheus ~

Thanks for the heads-up on your planned AN surgery.  I'm not in your area but from what I've read on these forums, Dr. Gantz is a very competent doctor and knows what he's doing with AN removal surgery.  I believe you're right to put your trust in him.  That kind of confidence in your doctor is a crucial aspect in keeping a positive attitude prior to the actual surgery.  I'm sure you'll do well.  As for the time needed for recovery, as you noted, it varies.  The standard time doctors give for returning to work is 6 weeks.  That assumes a complication-free operation and a steady recovery.  Some have that.  Others don't.  You know this.  I would guess that you'll realistically want to assume an 8 week recovery period and go from there.  Some return to work on a part-time basis.  Even with a complication-free surgery and a rapid recovery, fatigue is often a factor in being able to return to work, even at a sedentary job.  You may be an exception.  Your youth will definitely help.  Even if it won't make you exempt from post-op fatigue, it should be an asset in your recovery. Because you have about 10 weeks before the operation, I would suggest getting as fit as you can and definitely enjoy some recreation.  Not that you won't be able to do so, post-op, but it'll be easier, now.  Please try to stay connected here and keep us updated as things progress.  Thanks.
We wish you a very successful surgery and a fantastic recovery.  

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Cheryl R

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 04:53:17 pm »
Good to hear that you will be a UIHC alumni!      I would ask ahead for at least 6 to 8 weeks off work ahead of time.     Many of us who have went there have had to hassle with Sharon to get more paperwork for longer off than what we first thought we would need.         Since you have a smaller AN you may have more wonkyhead balance feel post op as the brain may not have compensated as much as some have who had a larger tumor.      One can look like they walk fairlly good but the brain and fatigue do not always show to others.    One never knows all this till after the surgery.           Feel free to ask me any Iowa City questions or those in general to any here.      We are here to help!                       Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 10:04:22 pm »
You are definitely in great hands with Dr. Gantz.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways