Author Topic: How long does it take to get your balance back?  (Read 14768 times)

Mei Mei

How long does it take to get your balance back?
« on: April 30, 2011, 06:34:28 pm »
I was at the store today and fell down half a flight of stairs and
landed on the first floor.  lucky I didn't break anything but I think
I sprained my small finger and side of my hand so I have it taped to
the ring finger and on ice.

I'm doing some vestibular exercises and keep working on this problem.
how long does it take to get your balance back?    I fell a few months ago back in Jan in front of a car in the parking lot.  I feel fine and not dizzy but I suddenly falll.   Do any of you fall without being dizzy?
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: How long does it take to get your balance back?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 08:04:22 pm »
Yup.  Never know I'm going down until I hit.  I have learned to be super careful and never venture more than an arm's length away from something solid.  Figure a broken bone or stitches I do not need.  Like you say, it is a weird feeling ..... almost like my center of gravity gets messed up without me knowing it.

Please be careful!  I still marvel at the ones who are back bike riding, standup paddleboarding, running, etc.  But remember, I have no working vestibular nerves so my situation is permanent.  One sided ANs should have no trouble once your brain adjusts.

Try keeping your gaze firmly fixed on something that is not moving ..... that helps tremendously.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

ombrerose4

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 08:34:18 pm »
I fell three months post op down the stairs in the subway. I ruptured 2 ligaments in my ankle and was in both a soft cast and then a hard cast. Since then I am really careful going up and down stairs and almost always hold on. I say almost because last week I fell going up the stairs in the subway, but thankfully I only skinned my knee and hurt my neck (I was on my way to PT for neck therapy when this happened,lol). I remember feeling alittle out of it and having a loud roar of tinnitus when I fell this time. I think my mind was wandering and I was beginning to feel safe on the stairs (like pre AN). Well, I've learned that I'll never be safe again, so I will remember to keep holding on and concentrating when I am going up/down stairs or anywhere there is a step. Hope your hand is feeling better:)
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 09:41:03 am »
My balance is so much better as I get physically stronger. Keeping your leg muscles strong is an extremely important part of balance with the loss of the vestibular function.  So sorry about your fall but I'm glad you didn't hurt yourself more.

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 02:42:45 pm »
Mei Mei ~

I was dismayed to learn that you'd fallen down a stairs and suffered minor injury.  No fun - but glad it was nothing requiring splints and casts.  

As you know, we're all unique and there is no 'normal' for regaining control of our equilibrium following AN surgery.  Vestibular exercises usually help but how much varies with each person.  I don't really have any balance problems in normal activity (I walk a lot) but on the rare occasion that I stumble, I usually have a difficult time regaining my balance unless I can immediately grab something to hold on to. I've had a few minor falls in that circumstance over the past five years but was never injured.  However, riding an escalator (up or down) without using the handrail is no longer a problem and stairs are relatively easy (I rarely use the handrail) so, for all intents, my balance is quite serviceable .  I believe that over time, as your brain adjusts to the unilateral input, your balance will improve, even if it is never exactly what it was, pre-surgery.  I also believe that the folks enjoying biking, stand-up paddle-boarding, etc are (a) motivated (b) fortunate and (c) force their other senses to help them retain their equilibrium while engaging in these balance-intensive activities.  I admire them and, were I a bit younger, would probably be doing something similar.  I trust that, for you, with more time and 'practice' falls will become a thing of the past.  

Jim
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 01:35:38 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 05:43:58 pm »
Oh, Mei Mei, I'm sorry to read about you having these falls.

As you well know, we all heal differently. Your surgery was the month before mine, and I would say mine is probably about as good as it needs to be...and probably as good as it is likely to get unless I keep pushing. However, I still, quite unconsciously, do things like door- and wall-checks (where I verify what I think I see by touching them). Like many others here, when I am very tired my balance starts to go. Sudden changes in light can also damage my balance, or hypoxia from the occasional coughing/choking fit.

Please be careful..

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 05:58:13 pm »
Mei Mei,

I feel your pain!  I am always tripping, falling or toppling over, my husband calls me "Big Bird" and my sons  just shake their heads.  I got a new bedroom set in October and at least once a week I smash the outside of my left knee.  I do not give myself enough room to clear the foot board in the middle of the night when I have to go to the ladies room.  Oh you should see my leg, its purple, blue, green and yellow all the time.

Talking about balance......can anyone relate to this, it happens to me all the time.  I can be in the grocery store looking around, and since I do not hear on my left side, I turn left and I'm smashing into someone or a buggy.  I get a lot of weird looks, I apologise and giggle to myself.

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Mei Mei

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 01:26:42 pm »
Thanks everybody for the kind wishes and advice.
I had an x ray this morning coz it was worse...I ve got a fracture below the pinky and osteoporosis.   My doctor sent me to hand doctor and he put a two week cast on it.
I chose purple and at least it's a fun color but now my typing is hindered.   Leaving for Istanbul next Tues.   Too bad this happened.

MM   ::)
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 01:38:45 pm »
Thanks everybody for the kind wishes and advice.
I had an x ray this morning coz it was worse...I ve got a fracture below the pinky and osteoporosis.   My doctor sent me to hand doctor and he put a two week cast on it.
I chose purple and at least it's a fun color but now my typing is hindered.   Leaving for Istanbul next Tues.   Too bad this happened.

Mei Mei ~

I guess I was a bit too optimistic with my first post.  I'm sorry you have an injury and I hope it won't be too painful or interfere with your trip and whatever activities you have planned. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Mei Mei

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 03:04:20 pm »
Thank you, as always...Jim.    Can't type too much right now...Will talk later.
MM
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

cin605

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2011, 02:21:50 pm »
Sorry foryou fall meimei....Enjoy your trip and send me pics please...HUGS
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

Mei Mei

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2011, 05:24:13 pm »
I loSt my phone, but will call as soon as I get the new one in the mail,  hopefully tomorrow.

Will be thinking of you.   Wish I could take this cast off.   It is pretty in purple.
Hugs,
Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

keithk

• Cochlear Awareness Volunteer (Chapter Leader)
    • Retrosigmoid Surgery
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011, 01:37:18 pm »
I am almost 8 months post op and still have problems with balance. I can get around the house without much trouble except when I tripped on a suitcase that was in the hallway. I was on my way to the floor before I knew it. When I leave the house I always use a cane. The only thing that bothered me was walking on ice. Living in Wisconsin we have winter about 14 months a year. I kid with friends and family that I can not pass a field sobriety test. Like Jim has said we are all different. I think my balance is as good as it is going to get and it doesn't get me down, I just to deal with it. Good luck to you be careful.
AN surgery 8/19/10, 9.5 hrs
8mm x 5mm left side
Retrosigmoid, Drs Reichert & Harvey
Severe hearing loss in the left ear before surgery. SSD after surgery. Balance issues. Tinnitus (mild). Buzzing in left ear.
BAHA implant surgery 11/17/10
BAHA activation 2/1/11

Cheryl R

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2011, 05:13:29 pm »
Keith, I did try once and got rejected which happens to most.      I did not appeal for several reasons but now think of trying again.     Having to watch it in the winter also applies to Iowa and there is no way I can do ice.     Even too much snow is also a problem.   I am a no balance nerve person so very little hope of it getting any better than it is.    I am pretty good inside on carpet.        Some other surfaces do bother me too.                 There have been a few on here who did get the SS disability but took them quite a long time.         Age and education can play a role in it too.                          Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Mei Mei

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2011, 06:24:11 pm »
Oh, Keith were you the one I just wrote to about SS Disability?    Cheryl and Keith, don't give up.   I got my County and State approved in 2 months and my SS I just got a few months ago with back pay to July 1.   I just documented and sent files like crazy.  The lawyer said that the documentation and all those doctor visits helped a lot, so don't give up.   Perseverance is the key.

I get my purple cast off the day after tomorrow.   With this heat,  I can't wait....whew!!
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo