Author Topic: Seeking Top Radiologist  (Read 2741 times)

kpygman

Seeking Top Radiologist
« on: April 29, 2011, 11:26:05 am »
Hello Everyone,

Here is a quick recap of my situation:

27 yr. old male in the Chicagoland area. Have already had two surgeries performed by Dr. Leonetti and Dr. Anderson at Loyola, in Maywood, IL. Second surgery was highly succecssful but less than 1cm of tumor remains as Dr. Anderson spent over 10 hours trying to remove the section of the tumor near brain stem and surrounding nerve structures.

I need to be proactive in radiating the tumor left, however, am at a loss as to where to seek treatment. I am willing to fly anywhere in the country. I feel this next step for me is critical as two surgeries have left much scar tissue and my facial nerves have really taken a beating. (Although, physically, my face looks pretty good). With the exception of Pittsburgh, each reputable facility I speak with doesn't conduct phone consults. Therefore, this makes this process very impractical as one can't fly out to multiple facilities for a 30 minute meet and greet.

Loyola estimated a facial weakness risk factor of 12% with their radiation treatment. I feel this is extremely high; Dr. Konziolka at Pittsburgh estimated a risk of only 3%. Any advice you may offer me would truly mean the world to me as at this point I am struggling to make the best decision to stunt tumor growth and preseve my facial functions being only 27 years old. I welcome phone calls as well and may be reached here via email/PM.

Other institutions I am looking into include MD Anderson, Mayo in Rochester and Sloan Kettering....
Thanks, Eric

(Eric, welcome. Removing personal contact info as folks can email/PM you here for details if the so decide. Thanks! Phyl)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 04:41:59 am by ppearl214 »

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Seeking Top Radiologist
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 06:45:40 pm »
Eric -

I'm not sure who is considered the "top" radiologist - lots of different opinions out there.

My neurotologist (Robt. Battista) @ the Ear Institute of Chicago does GK with Dr. Patrick Sweeney (a radiologist), if you are interested in local docs.

If you want to go out of the area, IMO you should check out Dr. Chang @ Stanford.  He may do phone consults, but I'm not sure.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways