Author Topic: Dr. Friedman at House Ear Clinic  (Read 13885 times)

BrandyDWade

Dr. Friedman at House Ear Clinic
« on: April 22, 2011, 01:17:59 pm »
I had surgery with Dr. Friedman on April 6th, 2011.  I just wanted to post to let anyone who is considering the House Ear Clinic to know that Dr. Friedman is amazing.  He has a great personality and he is just a fantastic surgeon.  My acoustic neuroma turned out to be a meningioma (they are very similar) and my facial nerve was growing on top of the tumor.  He had to be aggressive removing everything and yet my facial nerve is intake.  I had slight temporary facial paralysis after surgery, which has already returned to near-normal. 

It amazed us how personally invested he was in our case.  The other doctors, Dr. Shwartz and Dr. Steffan were equally wonderful.  The staff- the nurses, audiology department, the office workers- were also great.  We just had as good of an experience as we could have possibly had.

If anyone wants to talk to me about my experience or has any specific questions, please feel free to contact me!  I would love to share my story and answer any questions.  I had some amazing people help me out and give me tons of advice and I'd love to return the favor now.  : )

I just want to say, if you are out there reading this, and you are dreading your surgery and scared... Here I am two weeks and two days after surgery- at home and telling you how well it all went.  : )  It's going to be okay!  : )

Brandy Wade

Kaybo

Re: Dr. Friedman at House Ear Clinic
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 05:15:57 am »
I have always heard wonderful things about HEI & the Dr.'s there. Glad you had a successful surgery and a good experience all around!

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 05:38:58 am »
Glad that you had such a good experience at House. I had my AN surgery there about three years ago and still consider it to be the most amazing medical experience I could ever hope to have. Doctors, nurses, hospital staff -- they have it down to an absolute science and yet the personal touch and attention given to each patient and family member is extremely impressive.

Best wishes as you continue your recovery.

Catherine (JerseyGirl2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 10:06:52 am »
Brandy .....

I PMed you earlier.  Such an encouraging post and I'm right behind you!  Maybe I will even have the same room you did.   :D

Many prayers for a continued good recovery.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

ksiwek

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 10:15:44 am »
Brandy,

Wow!  Congrats!  So glad to see that you had a great outcome  :)  Makes me so happy to see these stories! 

Dr Friedman removed my AN almost a year ago!  Hard to believe it has been that long.  I just wanted to second your opinions on Dr Friedman and the staff at HEI and St Vincent's.  I would also have to give a special shout out to the PT staff on the neuro floor!  My PT was amazing and really inspired me to get out of bed and take those first few scary steps towards walking again!

And of course, THANK YOU, to Donnalynn, who I just saw posted above for helping me get to where I needed to be  ;D

Good luck with your continued recovery!

Kris

Translab 6/4/10 for 4+ cm left AN.  Drs Friedman and Schwartz at HEI saved my life!
BAHA surgery on 10/7/10 with Dr Battista of Chicago Ear Institute (Oticon Ponto Pro)

cindyj

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 10:33:13 am »
Yes, it is amazing the personal attention they all give out there, from the House surgeons to the hospital staff at St. Vincent's, despite the many times they do these surgeries.  So glad to hear that you also had a good experience and are doing so well in your recovery!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

JAndrews

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 08:28:08 pm »
Hi Brandy! I had a meningioma also and went to House. I had Brackmann, Schwartz and Steffan..I couldn't have been happier with the care I received. Being a nurse I can be difficult to please:) How big was yours? Did they get it all out? How are you? What approach did they use? I had translab, deaf in right ear. No balance or headache issues. I would email you directly but I can't figure this site out
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.

tichinose

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 07:07:55 am »
So glad to here it went well.  Do you live in LA or did you travel?  If you travelled how long did you stay in LA?  I have talked to Dr. Schwartz a lot and he is helpful  Thx Terri

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 12:17:45 pm »
It is always so nice to hear good things come out of stuff like this!  I had Dr. Brackmann/Schwartz at HEI and like you, I had nothing but positive experiences (Well...the silver iodine treatment on my wound wasn't quite so pleasant, but still...:) 
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

Corrin

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2011, 03:12:31 pm »
I more than 100% agree. I had the surgery about a month ago at HEI with Drs. Friedman, Schwartz and Steffan and they all are AMAZING!  :)
Diagnosed May 2011, 3.5cm x 4cm x 3.5cm
Translab June 20, 2011 with Dr. Friedman and Dr. Schwartz
Symptoms prior to surgery: right facial and tongue numbness, right hearing loss.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2011, 07:04:39 am »
Ditto to all of the above.  The whole experience far exceeded my expectations!

Clarice

tichinose

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 08:59:47 pm »
OMG...they are awesome

rvb755

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 04:25:27 pm »
Brandy this is so reassuring for me to read.  I just found out about my tumor July 17, 2011 and I am scheduled for surgery on
August 24, 2011 with Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz and Dr. Steffan.  I hope my outcome is as great as yours.  Thanks for sharing your story.

Rick
3.2cm x 5.0cm x 3.3cm Left side AN
Translab with Dr. Friedman/Dr. Schwartz at HEI
on 8/24/2011
100% tumor removal, no facial nerve damage, SSD

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2011, 07:21:27 pm »
Rick .....

Same team I had three months ago.  They are awesome.  Wishing you well.

Clarice

tichinose

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2011, 07:41:27 pm »
Brandy...the radiologist told me they trained physicians all over the world or were great doctors. I had them July 14, 2011 and it was my second surgery.  They were great and I felt like new. They take good care of you.

Terri