Author Topic: Myofacial Release Therapy cured my headaches  (Read 32699 times)

Cheryl R

Re: Myofacial Release Therapy cured my headaches
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2011, 08:08:50 am »
Mei Mei, I hope this goes well for you and has been way too much pain and stress for you!     I really wish for nothing to not go right and have problems like you had in Cleveland.        I wish you well!            Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

moe

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2011, 02:19:06 pm »
Mei Mei,
Sorry to hear that you have to go under the knife again >:( Praying for a successful surgery and recovery.
And little to no headaches too!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

bell

« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2011, 01:32:15 pm »
Mei Mei,
I hope you are feeling well.
Thank you for all of your insight and advice. I went today for my first visit to Myofacail release. I am praying for some good results.
I hope you continue to see results.
Take Care,
Bell

Mei Mei

« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2011, 09:42:30 pm »
HHey Bell,  glad to hear you've started on MRT.   It's powerful stuff.
Hope you are sleeping well tonight.  I slept for two days after my firt two sessions.    ;D
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

akaltz

« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2011, 10:54:23 am »
Hi Mei Mei ..glad to see you are back from surgery and feeling great! My husband is scheduling his myofacial appointment today in NYC. Will keep everyone updated regarding results.

Best Anna
Husband diagnosed with Right side  AN 4/11.
4/10/2011 2.4 x 2.6 x 1.9 cm
CK 5/2011 @ Stanford Dr.Chang & Dr Hancock
11/7/2011

Mei Mei

« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2011, 12:29:21 pm »
Wow!   I'm glad everybody is going to MRT!   I'm so excited.   It sure will help whatever ails you.   My therapist release the nerves on my first rib.   I didn't know I had pain there, but somehow it is connected to the Cervical nerves so he knew he had to work on all the other stuff.   This was the last time I saw him...the day before my surgery.   I got a headache and he thinks it came from releasing the 1st rib.

Keep sending those great reports.

Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

Lupy

« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2011, 01:30:17 am »
I just thought I would chime in. I have been lurking for a while now. I had surgery 2 years ago and am still in daily, totally debilitating pain with my headaches. I am on a whopping amount of pain meds to cope with them but am hoping to taper some of these down over the next year… I am going to write a full update of my journey later on but, inspired by this tread I am going to see a myofacial release therapist tonight! I will let people know how my treatment goes (I’m in Melbourne, Australia…)

Thanks for the 'heads' up on this approach Mei Mei   :)

“Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved” S. Kierkegaard

2.5cm Tumour removed 1/7/2009
Retrosigmoid @ The Royal Melbourne
Debilitating headaches/migraines from 2 weeks post surgery till current.

Mei Mei

« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2011, 11:43:05 am »
 ;D  Lupy et al,  I'm so happy to hear from you that you are starting up MRT.   It's really the most powerful thing I've done to get better.  It's the best thing invented since Starbucks!   >:D   I have to thank the nurse practitioner, Maureen Moriarity, at Georgetown Neurology for prescribing it for me.   The plastic surgeon, Dr. Ducic who did my excision surgery referred me to her.   Prior to that I was doing what everybody else is doing for the Post-surgical headaches...taking pills, pills and more pills.   The pills are not a solution and just make you sick, nervous maybe, constipated and sleepless.

Everybody keep me updated on your relief.   I am delighted to read all your great news.   I get my stitches out on June 21st just after I come back from the Cincinnati Symposium.   Then I can have the MRT done on my C2 nerve on my neck that is bothering me;  until then I ice it.

In good health,
Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

Lupy

« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2011, 12:16:59 am »
OK, well I am a bit annoyed. This woman was advertised as a myofascial release therapist by her agency, but at the end of the treatment said she was only a ‘myotherapist’.  >:( Myotherapy is much stronger than myofascial and although I feel much more free in my neck and back, I was up until 5am with pain and had to skip work today. This is even after I told her to go gentle. However, I do tend to have a strong reaction to treatments the first time so will hold off on a final verdict for a few days. Meanwhile I am going to keep looking for a myofascial therapist. They are very few and far between in Melbourne! I will keep people updated.

One weird thing did happen, and this may just be me, has anyone else ever had big emotional releases during or after surgery? I was very shaky and distressed after this treatment and couldn’t stop thinking about the operation? She said something about muscles holding memories, have other people heard of this?

(I am emotionally OK now, I have drunk lots of tea and watched lots of Top Gear!)

Mei Mei

« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2011, 06:36:31 pm »
Oh, I feel really badly for you.  I had a headache once after MRT, but that was when he tried something new so with my feedback, he went back to the strategies he was using on day one.    What I do know is that there was so much tension in my scalp that during the first session, I fell asleep and started babbling in my sleep, the second visit made me just as sleepy and I came home, went up to bed at 1:30 and slept till 7:30.  The next day I also slept the entire day!   For someone with insomnia this is a miracle.

I wish I could help you find a certified person in Melbourne.   There are two men that work on me Michael and Scott.   Scott is from Australia coincidentally so I will call Georgetown PT tomorrow and get back to you in the afternoon.   In the meantime, shoot the people on the Myofacial Release Therapy website an email for possible referrals in Melbourne.

Here is the contact information:

http://www.myofascialrelease.com/fascia_massage/public/default.asp

They rank their therpists by levels of expertise.   Shoot for the top and get the highest qualified in Melbourne.   Don't get a novicel

I'm thinking of you and I promise to get back to you.
Sincerely,
Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

Lupy

« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2011, 03:53:39 am »
Hi Mei Mei,

Thank you SO MUCH for this information and I look forward to hearing what else you're able to find out. As far as my treatment goes. My back and neck feel GREAT after MYOtherapy but my headaches have been quite bad  :-\. I will give it a few more days and see how I go.

I am going to try a few more Myofascial Therapists around town and see how that goes... But, as I am taking next year off to try and get off the drugs, I may end up flying over to see your guys if needs be. It sounds extravagant but given how much we currently spend on doctors and pills it might even save us money. However, in the mean time I will keep researching in Melbourne and update as I go to help out any other Aussies.

Thanks again Mei Mei,

Lupy

Mei Mei

« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2011, 07:12:14 am »
Sure, anytime I can help, let me know.   You'll need a prescription from a doctor and these two guys Michael and Scot (the Aussie) are booked solid for 6 weeks because their Myofacial Release is so much in demand.    Please write to the website that I gave you...under "Contact Us" and ask them for any names from Australia.    I hope you find some there.   I wrote to Michael to ask Scott but he didn't write back all day yesterday.   They are so busy that they don't have time to talk with each other.

Wishing you well in your search.
Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

Mei Mei

« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2011, 05:09:45 pm »
Dear Lupy,
Right after I answered you this morning, I got an email from Michael and this is important.   He said I wasn't getting totally Myfacial Release Therapy, but joint mobility therapy of the C1 and C2 and he is what he said in part.  All of us are individuals and the therapist there in Australia has to see how you present.:

Sorry Mei Mei.  I didn't do a very thorough job of my patient education regarding treatment specifically.  Actually, it was joint mobilization more than myofacial release that provided you with the greatest relief.

Specifically you presented with a malalignment of C1 vertebrae on C2.  Once Scott and I restored the joint mobility between these two structures, you reported long term lasting results.  While we did apply MFR (myofacial release) techniques as well, the results you got from that form of treatment appeared to only be temporary.  Why addressing these two structures relieved your headaches is that these two structures are what the cranium sit upon.  Therefore they hold and guide the head in everyday use.  That's why you have to continue practicing correcting your forward head posture inclination on a regular and absolutely daily basis.  If you continue with this poor posture fault, it is very likely you can trigger the cause of the HA's to return as it disrupts the natural mobility of structures that can cause headaches.
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

Lupy

« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2011, 06:32:54 pm »
Hi Mei Mei!
 Thank you so much for that. Although I know everyone's pain and problems are individual this information is really helpful simply because I have felt for a long time my C1 and C2 are out. While my surgeons deny it, many of my therapists have questioned it. I'll keep hunting for a good Myofascial therapist and see what they think... Although, I think I am going to have a rest from hunting out practioners as my head is still in quite a bit of pain and I have a hoiliday coming up I don't want to miss out on! But I will keep people updated as to how I go. Thank you again for this information and thank your doctors for being so helpful! You are so lucky to be getting such wonderful help. I find it is hard to even get my doctors to take my pain seriously... grrr!  >:D Luckily I am far too stubborn and detrmined to let anyone or anything hold me back from what I want to do i.e., get well!  :D

Thanks again,

Lupy  :)

Mei Mei

« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2011, 06:38:40 pm »
This from Michael my MRT PT:

Mei Mei,

Likely the headaches are coming from your upper Cervical Spine dysfunction...hopefully.  Therefore I'm recommending that you take 2 tennis balls put them in a sock tied off to keep the balls together.  Lie on your back (floor) and place the balls at the base of your skull while resting your head on them...you know the spot (place we often massaged).  This contraption is to try and use acupressure to the muscles that can cause a headache (self myofascial release techniques).  You may also gently nod your head up/down stretch these muscles or gently roll head small amounts to left/right to increase pressure where needed.

The headaches have likely returned do to the dysfunctional way your carry your head throughout the day.  Appropriate posture is going to be necessary to avoid this from continuing.
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo