Author Topic: AN Survivors and Alcohol?  (Read 7977 times)

ANdaughter84

AN Survivors and Alcohol?
« on: April 09, 2011, 01:57:20 pm »
I'm concerned about my mother -- she is in her 50s now.  She was diagnosed and had surgery to remove her tumor almost 10 years ago.  Her coordination and balance are still "off" and she is deaf in one ear.  She also has trouble remembering things and gets mixed up easily.  In addition, it seems as though she's not as mature as she once was.  Sometimes her reactions to situations are similar to that of a teenager's.  I don't know the full extent of her condition because I had just moved away to college when she was first diagnosed and have not lived at home with her since.

She has recently decided to divorce my father and promptly moved out of their home into her an apartment.  Since she's moved out, she has started drinking.  By "drinking" I mean a glass of wine here and here.  Maybe two glasses of wine at the absolute most.  At first I didn't think much of is -- she's never drank before, but I know this is a stressful time in her life and she never goes overboard with it.  However, then I thought about all of the prescription medication she is on (I have to get a list of them -- I can't remember what all she takes).  On top of that, my father mentioned to me that after her surgery nearly a decade ago, the doctors had told him that she should never drink again -- not only because of the medication, but because her brain has experienced such trauma with the surgery.

My mother's sister said something to her about this, but my mother sort of "blew it off" and said that no, it's fine for her to have a drink or two every now and then.  I plan to get her doctors' names and numbers and contact them soon to ask them about this.  Could the alcohol cause her to have a seizure or stroke?  I'm worried about her, especially because she is now living on her own for the first time in her entire life with no one to look after her.

How do I talk to her about this?  I don't want to treat her like a child but with the way she acts, sometimes I feel like I have to.  Do you have any experience with this?  Any advice?

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: AN Survivors and Alcohol?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 03:04:10 pm »
Hi ~

This is a difficult situation and not one that I have any experience with but I think you should speak with your mother's doctor(s) before confronting her about drinking.  She may not be open to your concern because she obviously doesn't drink to excess but if her doctor advised against it, that would probably carry some weight and keep you from being viewed by your mother as attempting to 'control' her.  FWIW: I don't normally drink alcohol but once in awhile I will have a small glass of beer (usually with pizza) or a glass of light wine with a meal.  I'm talking about once every few months.  I have never felt any ill effects from this but of course that is simply one person's experience and proves nothing.  However, it's really all I can offer you, except my previous suggestion that you talk to the doctor first before you broach the subject of drinking with your mother.  I'm not a doctor but doubt that your mother drinking a glass of wine every so often would precipitate a stroke.  Still, mixing alcohol with some medications can be risky so it's worth checking out.  This is why a discussion with her doctors might clear up the issue for both of you.  Please let us know how this is resolved.  Thanks.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 03:36:23 pm »
I had AN surgery almost 4 years ago, and while I rarely drink, I was never told by either of my doctors (neurotologist & neurosurgeon) that I could no longer have alcohol because I had brain surgery.  I know lots on this Forum who drink alcohol - at one time we had a thread going about wine - so I don't think I'm an exception to the rule. 

As someone who went through a divorce, I can say that it's definitely no picnic, and it may be what's leading to your mother's increased drinking. 

You are right to be concerned if your mother is mixing alcohol and drugs and/or she is using alcohol excessively.  IMO you should talk to her about your concerns and urge her to get help if she needs it.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Cheryl R

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 06:16:55 pm »
As a retired nurse, I do not feel what she is drinking would be any problem.            The AN surgery while is called brain surgery is not where the gray matter of the brain is cut into.          In this case I would think that there might be a problem for some people.
 I have been thru more than one AN surgery and no doctor has ever mentioned no alcohol.              Now her meds could be another whole story.      If you could find out what she is taking and then ask at the pharmacy where she gets them.     You might even just ask that pharmacy if any of her meds restrict alcohol use.      Medicines come when first given or occ with every refill of info about that drug and will say no alcohol use.   You might need her OK to get pharmacy advice due to the HIPPA laws.          I am more concerned about her changes in behavior and if that worsens,then should have a mental health evaluation.      Some changes in her might be from her not able to be her true self when married, some from just stress and maybe depression.         I am surprised about a dr telling her not to use alcohol unless they were thinking of her having the balance issues and more chance of falls with poor balance and alcohol use.                    Seizures and stroke can happen to any one and unless she had some specific previous health condition, she should not be more likely than any of us., esp this far out.      I am 10 yrs out from my first one also but have NF2 so more than one tumor over time.     I am in my late 50's.        I have my share of forgetful moments and several of my same age friends say they do also.                        I would also be concerned if she is drinking more in secret at home and that is the cause of many of her cognitive changes.              Keep us informed how it goes as am very curious.     
       Personally I do not think she is at risk for stroke or seizure unless had some other condition making her more prone to them.    Also which dr who said this as a regular general dr does not have as much education about AN surgery as her surgeon that did it.
                                                    Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Doc

• “Shake off the BooHoo and get with the program”
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 03:54:57 pm »
I enjoyed a cold Beer with the guys before my AN Surgery and that hasn't changed a bit. The only difference between then and now, Beer dribbles from the left side of my mouth when I try drinking it from a bottle...facial paralysis sucks  :P!  There's no discernible difference in the effect a few Beer's has on me now than it did before...I still have to pee after only two cold ones!

Take Care!
  ;)
Doc
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

Doc

• “Shake off the BooHoo and get with the program”
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 04:01:35 pm »
...sorry, forgot my point...Beers...! My mother was about the same age when she packed a bag a left my Father. Her experience was similar but she soon pushed the nightly glass of wine aside for a good book. My Mother eventually died (last May) from the effects of Alzheimer's. Perhaps what you're seeing are signs of mild early dementia? You should maybe get your Mom in for a checkup...go with her if she'll allow you?!?

Take Care!
  ;)
Doc
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 08:07:23 pm »
I too think your moms problem has nothing much to do with her AN business.   Is probably something else.  I agree with the above post, and I applaud you for seeking the source of her problem, if there is one.  Best of luck...
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode