Author Topic: Shows growth, treatment time... ugh  (Read 4186 times)

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
Shows growth, treatment time... ugh
« on: April 05, 2011, 05:11:54 am »
Went for my MRI yesterday in Boston, the tumor has grown, more impacted, firmer and Dr. McKenna says time for treatment.  The two options are surgery and FSR of which I am seeing Dr.'s next week, there are pros and cons with both.  I would do radiation in a heartbeat if I thought there would be absolutely no swelling of the tumor because of the impaction the pressure right now is about all I could stand anymore and I would surcome to bed and pills, that is what makes me nervous,  Hell the whole thing makes me nervous. Glad we have this sight, this is where most of my learning comes from.......thanks to all for your time and information.
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!

sunfish

Re: Shows growth, treatment time... ugh
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 06:24:36 am »
Sorry to hear you're going to have to deal with this now.  Read everything you can get your hands on, and get a couple different opinions, if you haven't already.  My tumor was/is about the same size as yours, and up against the brainstem.  It's been a long slog for me this year, but it looks like CK killed the tumor and my side effects are rapidly diminishing at this point.  I haven't missed much time from work this year, other than doctor's appointments.  The greatest loss for me this year was a general lack of energy and an inability to do some of the recreational things I love.  Small price to pay, I think, and I'm just about back to normal now.
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

Derek

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 07:44:37 am »
Hi Cindy...

So sorry that the 'little bugger' has apparently decided to flex it's muscles and given you a dilema re future treatment options. Not sure just how much growth has occurred since your last scan but if it is minimal, there may be a possibility, notwithstanding that the AN is described as 'more impacted and firmer', that the increase may be down to the imaging equipment tolerances being at variance to your previous scan which is a common occurrence. If the increase is very minimal and pending medical advice, it may be that you can consider having a further scan in 6 months then re-assess the situation. Very best of luck with whatever decision you evenually make as it WILL be the right one for you.

Best Regards

Derek
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 11:25:36 am by Derek »
Residing UK. In 'watch & wait' since diagnosis in March 2002 with right side AN. Initially sized at 2.5cm and now self reduced to 1.3cm.
All symptoms have abated except impaired hearing on affected side which is not a problem for me.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 01:10:43 pm »
Hi, Cindy ~

I'm so sorry to learn that the recent MRI showed growth and increased density of your AN but we're pleased to offer whatever information we have as well as our support, Cindy.

Dr. McKenna has a fine reputation in the AN field so I think you can trust his opinion.  However, Derek makes a valid point about seeking other medical opinions if you feel conflicted.  His suggestion that you have another MRI in six months to validate growth seems reasonable and, in my opinion, worth discussing with Dr. McKenna.  As you may know, I underwent debulking surgery followed by FSR and both procedures worked out very well with little-to-no complications.  However, I presented with a large tumor (4.5 cm) so my situation may not be analogous to yours.  The reality is that whether you opt for surgery or radiation, both procedures carry inherent risks that must be considered.  Even so, risks are not guarantees, only risks.  As these forums demonstrate, many AN patients have few complications from either procedure and most of those who do find the problems are temporary and can be alleviated with therapy, medicine and, in many cases, time. I trust you'll be able to make an informed decision that is right for you.  Meanwhile, know that you have a lot of friends here that will be thinking of and praying for you as you deal with this latest chapter in your AN saga.       

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Jackie

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 08:25:25 pm »
Hi Rivergirl,

Sorry to find out your MRI results weren't the ones we all pray for, but I know you'll make the right decisions for what is best for you!
Thinking of you and sending you my best,
Jackie
9mm x 11mm Right Side AN mild Tinnitis, and 60% hearing loss
Diagnosed 02/04/2007
Nov.13th, diagnosed with 5mm Meningioma
9/24/08 diagnosed with Aneurysm
Wait and watch per ENT's advice and researching my options!!! What's next???

nftwoed

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 06:11:24 pm »
Rivergirl;

Do you have severe head ache pain? If not, my feeling, tumor density is a non issue for you re, Tx modality. Reason being is the maximum diameter listed for your AN is but 1.5 cm. That in itself kind of places debulking as not necessary and potential edema as being manageable should it occur.
  Best wishes here! If it were my body, and there was hearing to spare and the tumor was in the IAC, I'd jump at FSR. Just my opinion for myself. Every person relates to their situation a little differently.