Author Topic: 4th MRI tomorrow  (Read 5054 times)

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
4th MRI tomorrow
« on: April 03, 2011, 09:51:41 am »
So it is has been a year already and 4 since diagnosis, can't wait until tomorrow is over.  I get so nervous before my yearly thinking this may be the year he says I need to do something.  When he tells you that you can go another year, you breathe easier and say I am going to go on as normal as I can and try to forget I have this tumor so hoping tomorrow will be just that.  I am sure all in watch and wait get these jitters.
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
Re: 4th MRI tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 10:23:48 am »
Rivergirl

Good luck tomorrow, we all hope the best for you.  Keep up posted.

TJ

Jackie

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 11:29:02 am »
Hello Rivergirl,

As a fellow Watch and Waiter, I truly understand and feel your anxiety! Will, keep good thoughts and send you Blessings for an uneventful, stable MRI.
Keep the Faith,
Jackie
9mm x 11mm Right Side AN mild Tinnitis, and 60% hearing loss
Diagnosed 02/04/2007
Nov.13th, diagnosed with 5mm Meningioma
9/24/08 diagnosed with Aneurysm
Wait and watch per ENT's advice and researching my options!!! What's next???

LisaP

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 11:31:29 am »
Hi,

Best wishes on your MRI tomorrow, please let us know what your results are.  Mine is not until October.  I am going for a consultation with Dr. Mason at his Northampton Office on April 11th.  I am still with Dr. McKenna but just wanted a second opinion.

Keep in touch,

LisaP ;D
LisaP
AN at 12mm by 7mm by 7mm,  shown no growth as of September 26, 2013, 5.5 years into this journey.  Next MRI 2015. Doctors: Mason and McKenna.  Continue to W&W

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 05:58:18 pm »
Thanks for the well wishes....Lisa P who is Dr. Mason?
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
I think I will make it!

suboo73

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 06:20:43 pm »
Hi Rivergirl,

Another W & Waiter chiming in to say best wishes that all is well tomorrow with your MRI!
[I get nervous too, when i have mine - this last go around in January, I was given a heated robe, for extra comfort. WOW!  Thought i was at the spa, instead the imaging center......... :o]

Prayers all around, and think positive thoughts!
Keep us posted.

Sincerely,

Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 04:11:37 pm »
I get so nervous before my yearly thinking this may be the year he says I need to do something.

The downside of Watch-and-Wait....but I really hope the MRI shows 'no growth' and you're good for another year, Cindy.  See you at the ANA N.E. Discussion Forum brunch on the 17th.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Derek

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 04:43:52 pm »
I get so nervous before my yearly thinking this may be the year he says I need to do something.

The downside of Watch-and-Wait....but I really hope the MRI shows 'no growth' and you're good for another year, Cindy.  See you at the ANA N.E. Discussion Forum brunch on the 17th.  :)

Jim

Best of luck Cindy...if you have not had any change in symptoms etc since your last scan, all the signs are that you will be just fine. Whilst agreeing with Jim that awaiting the outcome of the annual scan can be a daunting experience for some, I do not necessarily consider that it is a'downside' particularly applicable to being in the W & W mode as I would be very surprised that anyone who has opted for excision / radiation of the AN would not also avail themselves of an annual scan to be absolutely certain that there is no regrowth etc occurring.

Regards

Derek
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 03:51:53 am by Derek »
Residing UK. In 'watch & wait' since diagnosis in March 2002 with right side AN. Initially sized at 2.5cm and now self reduced to 1.3cm.
All symptoms have abated except impaired hearing on affected side which is not a problem for me.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 06:30:24 pm »
Derek ~

Your point is well taken but I should clarify that I meant the 'downside' of watch and wait is the anxiety of not knowing whether or not one will have to deal with addressing the tumor 'this year', as Cindy indicated.  However, as you noted, post-op/radiation AN patients usually have annual MRI scans - with the anxiety that rings.  In the long run, MRI scans are only required every 5 years or so - or when AN-like symptoms re-emerge.    I haven't had an MRI in over 2 years and have no symptoms so there is little anxiety to deal with.  I know that could change, but I'm not concerned about it.  Still, that is very specific to my situation.   Again, you are correct - but I was looking at the bigger picture, based on my own experience, which, as I admit, is specific to me and should not be considered a template for all AN patients.  I apologize for any misunderstandings.   

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

nftwoed

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 08:05:22 pm »
Watch and wait...
  Of course everyone knows a 4 mm. AN can take out hearing in a wink w/o growing if blood flow is interrupted.
  Conservative management, aka; Watch and wait, causes great anxiety. Anxiety itself removes life from life.
  So; One might wish to consider the broad range of W & W and it's psychological/physical potential, immediate, or future.
  Now; If an NF-2er is w/w, I would ask what the logical outcome of NF-2 is.

Keeping Up

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 09:22:03 pm »
Good luck ...

I agree with Derek - none of the treatments for these tumors guarantees no future treatment and or future scans.  I am on a 18 month re-scan schedule (next one in July 2011) and then the research does show just like what Jim indicated a 3-5 year rotation, unless symptoms appear, regardless if W&W, radiation or surgery. No one gets a 'pass go' with these tumors, unfortunately!

Continue to think positive thoughts ... we have such true longevity in the W&W group (I think we have a couple 10+ year people), hoping you (and me!) can stay with that group for even a few more years.

Interesting someone mentioned anxiety - I am rarely anxious about the tumor or future treatment.  It is what it will be ... I am more fearful of a terminal disease, one of my children getting hurt (had a child a the Alberta Children's Hospital for three days last week after  he fell 30 feet from a ski lift, while in a ski lesson - 5 compression fractures in his spine) or losing my spouse (he was ill last fall).  This tumor, because it is small (and thus W&W), doesn't slow me down.

I am thinking positive thoughts for a no growth scan!!!!

Ann

PS ... I, of course, will be a bit edgy in July close to my next scan.  Silly if you weren't ... it is my couple of weeks to ponder about the sucker.
dx Dec/08 - 5mm x 8mm AN
'watch and wait'

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 05:12:58 am »
Guess I will be leaving watch and wait soon.....tumor has grown, I posted a new topic, thanks for your help
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
I think I will make it!