Author Topic: Derealization etc.  (Read 7952 times)

mrmel

Derealization etc.
« on: April 02, 2011, 08:32:48 am »
I am interested in hearing from anyone that has had anxiety, depression and cognitive issues since their surgery, like years after. I am also interested in hearing from someone that might have had some testing and effective treatment done that helped those symptoms. I have to believe that somewhere in the world the medical community is progressing in this area as it is becoming more widely accepted that acoustic neuroma surgery causes more problems than, facial nerve, eye, and balance issues. The problem is that the surgeons are not trained in the neurological aspect and effects and the neurological community has not had enough referrals to want to train themselves on it, or research it, but I think it is coming. If anyone has had these problems long after surgery I would like to hear from you. My surgery was 14 years ago.
                      Mel

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Derealization etc.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 10:35:55 am »
What is "derealization"  ???

I've never heard this term before.

Thanks,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 12:58:25 pm »
Jan ~

This entry (from Wikipedia) explains the condition quite clearly: 

Derealization (sometimes abbreviated as DR) is an alteration in the perception or experience of the external world so that it seems strange or unreal. Other symptoms include feeling as though one's environment is lacking in spontaneity, emotional coloring and depth.  It is a dissociative symptom of many conditions, such as psychiatric and neurological disorders, and not a stand-alone disorder.  It is also a transient side effect of acute drug intoxication, sleep deprivation, and stress.

Derealization is a subjective experience of unreality of the outside world, while depersonalization is unreality in one's sense of self. Although most authors currently regard derealization (surroundings) and depersonalization (self) as independent constructs, many do not want to separate derealization from depersonalization.  The main reason for this is nosological, because these symptoms often co-occur, but there is another more-philosophical reason: the idea that the phenomenological experience of self, others, and world is one continuous whole. Thus, feelings of unreality may blend in and the person may puzzle over deciding whether it is the self or the world that feels unreal to them.

Chronic derealization may be caused by occipital–temporal dysfunction.  These symptoms are common in the population, with a lifetime prevalence of up to 74% and between 31 and 66% at the time of a traumatic event.

More, here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derealization

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 01:12:45 pm »
Thanks, Jim.

Should have known I could rely on you to define big words for me  ;D

As I said in my first post, I've never heard of derealization. 

Appreciate your response,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

mandy721

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 01:25:28 pm »
I am interested in hearing from anyone that has had anxiety, depression and cognitive issues since their surgery, like years after. I am also interested in hearing from someone that might have had some testing and effective treatment done that helped those symptoms. I have to believe that somewhere in the world the medical community is progressing in this area as it is becoming more widely accepted that acoustic neuroma surgery causes more problems than, facial nerve, eye, and balance issues. The problem is that the surgeons are not trained in the neurological aspect and effects and the neurological community has not had enough referrals to want to train themselves on it, or research it, but I think it is coming. If anyone has had these problems long after surgery I would like to hear from you. My surgery was 14 years ago.
                      Mel

Where are you located?  As my husband mentioned in his post on the other thread, he has many of the same issues that you are dealing with and they have been linked to his surgery.  If you are in the northeast, I can give you the name of my husband's neuropyschologist.  Even if you aren't, his office might be able to refer you to someone in your area.
Miranda
Husband diagnosed 5/30/09 with 3.2cm right AN
Surgery at  Columbia Presbyterian 8/4/09
Platinum eye weight implant - 8/17/09
17 days in hospital and rehab
SSD, facial weakness, some tinnitus, headaches , balance and eye problems

Cheryl R

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 04:25:33 pm »
Mel, are you taking any meds to help you with the anxiety and depression?         Many do here.  I am one and took 5 different meds to get the right one for me.       I am NF2 and have been thru 4 surgeries over the last 10 yrs.         My anxiety issues are not from the NF2 as much as my personality and were around before ever had the older adult onset of NF2.     My forgetfulness has been worse since the 4th AN surgery 3 yrs ago.       I will be 59 in June.               When I talk about some of my forgetfullness to to my same age nurse friends, they say they have some of the same issues and never have been thru a major health condition.       
I have been to soon to be 5 AN symposiums.      One session I did go to was a psychologist talking about cognitive issues and he had no good answers other then you have to learn how to cope with what ever areas are bothering you      Writing lots of lists to yourself,  avoid getting too tired, avoiding crowds.      Each person has to think about what bothers me and see what way to deal with it.            This was not the answer I was expecting to hear and whether he was a very smart person when it comes to these issues I do not know.                     I do know that people can react very different to illness.    I am a  retired nurse and have seen the whole gamut of how a person reacts to his illness.        I would not be surprised if how the surgery was done that long ago was more prone to causing some brain damage that could affect one.      This is just my opinion and now the long term effects might be  watched more and causes known.                     I do hope you could get some answers and help that is possible.
                                                               Cheryl R

Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

nftwoed

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 08:31:28 pm »
Mel;

I'm 60 and had first sx of NF-2 at 19. Unknowingly, in 1969, the beginnings of the first AN were manifesting themselves. The first manifestation was disorientation/derealization. That AN was removed in 1977. In the meanwhile, it was thought I had anxiety so was given Valium. Now, that produces a different type derealization as is a sedative/hypnotic drug. Oddly, ENG on the "good" side was not entirely normal in 1977.
  At 44, I felt as though I would fall off chairs while sitting. Derealization presented again, along with increased motion intolerance ( oscillopsia ), and, hearing loss as before .
  With the second tumor, the cognitive issues really grew worse, but have been present since the 1st AN. AND, I was given Valium again.
  Valium does smooth neural impulses and does cause one to care less and notice their sx less.
  Derealization is certainly a weird feeling though and sort of produces anxiety of it's own in some.
  There is an actual psychiatric Dx called derealization/depersonalization, but the AN caused derealization/depersonalization is cognitive, and probably caused by vestibular dysfunction.

latirus

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 09:48:21 am »
I would visit your doctor and ask him about trying one of the newer antidepressant (SSRI) drugs.  Many people have anxiety and perception issues that don't seem 'justified' by their problems, even without an AN!  Sometimes this gets worse with age.  If you try one for about 6 weeks and it doesn't help, you won't have lost much.