Author Topic: Baha research study  (Read 2309 times)

ombrerose4

Baha research study
« on: March 23, 2011, 11:16:24 am »
I just found this open research study being done at NY Eye and Ear Infirmary. If anyone in NY is interested in participating in this study, it means getting it at no cost to you, have your doctor contact the physician listed below:

NY Eye and Ear Infirmary

Bone Anchored Hearing Aids

Principal Investigator: Christopher J. Linstrom, M.D., Carol A. Silverman, Ph.D.

Enrollment: Open

Objective: Individuals with adult-onset single sided deafness experience significant communication difficulties. These difficulties impose a major handicap in modern society, which greatly values communication. Recently, a titanium bone-anchored hearing aid (BAHA) was developed which represents a new device for the rehabilitation of single sided deafness. The BAHA is a bone-conduction hearing aid that is implanted into the mastoid process of the temporal bone behind the ear during a routine surgical procedure. The goal of this investigation is to examine short-term and long-term efficacy of the BAHA in adults with single-sided deafness

Overview: Persons who participate in this study will receive the BAHA and receive otologic and audiologic follow-up to determine any short-term and/or long-term changes in sound localization, speech recognition in noise, and patient satisfaction with the device.

Eligibility: Research subjects are being recruited for this study. If you are a physician treating unilateral adult-onset deafness, please contact Dr. Linstrom for participation details.

Contact Information: Christopher Linstrom, M.D., (212) 979-4200
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Baha research study
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 07:57:47 am »
Lauren -

thanks for posting this information.

It sounds though like the NY Eye & Ear Infirmary are a little behind the times.

The statement "Recently, a titanium bone-anchored hearing aid (BAHA) was developed which represents a new device for the rehabilitation of single sided deafness." puzzles me.

BAHAs have been implanted in Europe for decades and were approved by the FDA here in the States years ago.  They are covered by Medicare/Medicaid and a lot of insurance companies.

While I encourage everyone I know who is SSD to at least consider a BAHA, I don't want them to get the impression that the BAHA is something new - or (gasp) experimental.

So for all those considering a BAHA, please know that they are tried and true - not "recent" developments.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways