Author Topic: Gamma Knife at Jackson, Ms?  (Read 12209 times)

AnnR

Re: Gamma Knife at Jackson, Ms?
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2011, 12:52:04 pm »
Hi Emma......the staff at the GK center in  Jackson were wonderful as you probably have already read about in my earlier posts.

Returning to work was not an issue for me since I am retired. If I were still working, the GK would not have kept me from returning  to a clerical job.  I took the advice of many as well as some of the info on the hospital website  to take it easy for a few days which I did enjoy that .  I took some down time in my hammock out in the back yard.

In My GK experience it would not have interfered with a clerical job.  The procedure was done early in the morning and I was discharged by noon.  I live in Petal, Ms about 90 miles south from Jackson and during the ride back with my husband, I took a nap. I also took two Ibuprofen that was simply for a dull headache which it the Ibuprofen stopped. My procedure  was also done on a Friday.

I think you should stay optimistic and No, I don't think iot is "wishful thinking" on your part.

I hope this is helpful to you and I thank God for this forum.

AnnR

HisHands

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2011, 10:38:15 pm »
Thank you for responding.  I'm very apprehensive (just nerves, I think), but the thought of radiation has me spending sleepless nights.  I'm worried about swelling, facial paralysis, holes in my forehead from the GK headframe and on and on; already started wearing bangs to cover the holes.  No one at work knows what I'm doing, so I hope I can keep it hidden.  I was told this week that it's a facial neuroma that's in a small area, so that's why I'm very worried about the swelling and other side effects.  I'm continuing to trust God, but the human side stays concerned.  Thanks again and my procedure is next Thursday, so say a prayer.  Emma
Emma
1.5 x 1.5 x 2cm AN in left ear;  MRI 11/16/2011;  GK on 12/16/11

...In Your hand is power and might and Your hand gives strength to all.... I Chronicles 29:12

AnnR

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2011, 09:09:22 am »
Hello Emma.....I can surely tell you about my experience with  the little holes.  Since my AN was not affecting the facial nerves I can't comment on that. 

The holes are so small that anyone else would not know they were there.  Please feel assured about that.  I don't remember anyone else posting about serious problems with the holes.

I think everyone participating in this forum can relate to your fears and I know that I had them even with the reassurance from everyone. 

You will probably have plenty prayers going up for you.  Isn't it comforting that even though at times we feel only too human and can't seem to feel the faith that is the time when others can lift you up through prayer.  HE knows us well.

Prayers and best thoughts....AnnR

HisHands

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2011, 09:42:21 am »
Ohhh...Thank You so much.  I needed to hear those comforting words this morning.  My AN is on the facial nerve, so causing more concern about the future swelling after GK.  Will continue to trust that I can do anything through His strength.  Thank you again for responding.... experiencing so many ups and downs.  Emma
Emma

...In Your hand is power and might and Your hand gives strength to all.... I Chronicles 29:12

mucomval

• Wow, it's amazing; changing poison into medicine!
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2011, 02:36:51 am »
Hi Emma,
I've posted that I've had GK on 11/25 in Kobe, Japan! My AN is 2.03 left. Finally had GK after 3 MRI's since exactly last year. I don't have the facial thing.
But do not worry at all. I think everything will be A-OK. You'll have the regular noisy MRI after the anaesthesia shots (whose headachy thing will affect u after it wears off), but that's about it really. The treatment itself is silent - ask your Doc maybe you can take along your favorite music cd! I did and gave it to him as a present later!

No problem at all:you'll be going to work Monday morning for sure is my guess. Just get over the anasthesia discomfort when it wears off:everything else is just fine.

Rest assured: you will be totally in safe and protetective hands. Appreciate everything and everyone in your life. Everything is going to just turn out fine.  ;D

MK
mri: 11/25/10 1.8cm left; 11/01/11:2.03cm;  gk on 11/25/11; around May '12 should see some results.

"When you light a lamp for others, the area around you lights up as well!"

Brewers7

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2011, 12:10:34 pm »
Emma,
I am in north Mississippi if I can support you in any way.
Susan
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

HisHands

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2011, 08:12:40 pm »
Hi Emma,
I've posted that I've had GK on 11/25 in Kobe, Japan! My AN is 2.03 left. Finally had GK after 3 MRI's since exactly last year. I don't have the facial thing.
But do not worry at all. I think everything will be A-OK. You'll have the regular noisy MRI after the anaesthesia shots (whose headachy thing will affect u after it wears off), but that's about it really. The treatment itself is silent - ask your Doc maybe you can take along your favorite music cd! I did and gave it to him as a present later!

No problem at all:you'll be going to work Monday morning for sure is my guess. Just get over the anasthesia discomfort when it wears off:everything else is just fine.

Rest assured: you will be totally in safe and protetective hands. Appreciate everything and everyone in your life. Everything is going to just turn out fine.  ;D

MK
  MK, Thank you for the encouraging words.  I will have my treatment this Friday rather than tommorrow.  I'm so appreciative of everyone on this site, because it has really helped answer questions that I didn't even know I had or even had thought about.  Glad you're doing well and I will post as soon as I can after treatment.  Thanks for the tip on the music CD!!  Emma
Emma

mucomval

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2011, 09:06:38 pm »
Dear Emma,

I didn't get to check posts till now - hope your GK was ok! Were you able to put on your favorite music ? Please post whenever you want to.

This site is so wonderful. There are so many communication levels (skype, facebook, etc.) you can communicate with people on, but here, as we share something so personal and important in life, it makes it deeper and purposeful as we can help each other.

There is one saying from East Asia that I like it says: "When you light a lamp for others, the area around you lights up as well!" (When we try to help others, we are also encouraged when it is of help!) all the best, MK
mri: 11/25/10 1.8cm left; 11/01/11:2.03cm;  gk on 11/25/11; around May '12 should see some results.

HisHands

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2011, 11:18:29 pm »
MK,  Thank you for following up and yes I burned a CD of my favorite Christian music and it was very helpful and comforting.  Below is a copy of my update that I posted in the "Post Treatment" section and have had several replies and continued encouragement.  You're right.... this site is wonderful...

Posted 12/18/11....Just a quick note to let everyone know my GK experience this past Friday went extremely well.  I will be returning to work in the morning and continue to pray for the healing process.  I'm so appreciative of all the advice and sharing of personal experiences on this forum.  The pin holes are not noticeable - as many of you can now say "I told you so"     I'm only experiencing mild headaches and just a little fatigue.  Prior to GK, I was facing "fear of the unknown".... Post GK, it's still "fear of the unknown" but it's with a different attitude.  This morning I told my husband that I just don't know what to expect going forward and his reply was "You expect your healing through your faith that has sustained you through good times and bad"...   couldn't say it better!  Thanks to all for your support and I will continue posting my healing process.  Emma
Emma

mucomval

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2011, 01:12:22 am »
Emma,

That's so great to hear! Thanks!

MK