Author Topic: 4yrs and finally headed in the right direction  (Read 3836 times)

Patrea

4yrs and finally headed in the right direction
« on: June 21, 2006, 11:06:03 pm »
In July of 2001, I was as normal as normal could be. A self sufficent single mom of 2 young girls just starting a new life in Texas, both girls getting to that age where I was enjoying some moderate freedoms. But by Christmas, that all changed. I had just found out that I had gotten pregnant on the pill. I had my kids and really had not thought of having more.But there were other plans in store for me. I think the hardest thing was to tell my 10 yr old she wasnt 'the baby' anymore.
During a trip driving home to Missouri, I started noticing difficulties in my health. At first I thought my age and pregnancy were colliding. But along with dizziness and nausea,normal pregnancy issues I thought, I also had facial numbness on the left side of my face. The numbness went from temple to collarbone and I broke 3 teeth eating candy on that trip.By February it was so bad, I had to quit my job, load up and high-tail it back to where my parents lived in Missouri.
In March it was so bad I woke up in the night to use the restroom and fell face first into my computer desk, tummy into a chair. No movements were felt afterwards and I begged my doctor for help.
To make a LONG LONG story short. I was finally MRIed and they found what was thought to be a melignant tumor.
I got sicker and sicker. I went from a strong independant woman to a vegetable like state where I couldnt feed myself.
In May 2002 I had the first of 2 surgeries. The doctors removed 95% of a tumor that grew from my ear to my brain stem, crushing the figure 8 into a small crecent.
In July 2002 I delivered by C-section the healiest beautiful 'life saver' I have ever seen.
I had difficulties in recovery. Walking, talking care for myself and my now 3 children came slowly.I didnt heal (surgically) because of steroid use.
We waited until Sept 2003 to tackle the remaining 5%. It was wrapped in the facial nerve. BUt the neuro team did a wonderful job removing the ear drum and saving the nerve.
Now, half deaf, left periphial vision impaired, periods of numbness coming and going. Vertigo, and all those other things we asscociate with AN. I am a survivor. My doc says its all gone. But I will til the day I die be finding things that are attributed to my bout with AN.
In August I start school throught Voc Rehab. I am trying to get back on track.
I am sorry this is such a long post. I welcome questions and can fill in some blanks I may have left open.( Sorry short term memory loss is a pain)
well wishes

I didnt know my own strength til I battled the unknown-

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
Re: 4yrs and finally headed in the right direction
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 11:13:01 pm »
Wow, you have an amazing story and your strength shines through.  You will have a lot of posts to look at once everyone sees this.  I admire your courage. I am sorry you had to go through such an ordeal. 

Sue
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Battyp

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 01:14:10 pm »
I agree with Sue..such strength!  I'm hoping to start school this fall through vocational rehab.  After waiting since February I finally got the call that I am being sent for testing to determine what I can do.  What are you going to school for?  I'm a teacher but due to the AN my tongue/throat  is numb making speech difficult which of course makes teaching difficult.

Best of luck to you!
Thanks for sharing your story  8)

cookiesecond

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 07:34:12 pm »
Patrea.
I am glad things are looking up for you.I hate it that you had to go throuh so much! You will be in our thoughts and prayers. I hope things go well for you in August.
Take care,
Lynn

sunshine16

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 12:44:17 pm »
I'm sorry to hear about how you discover the tumor. But happy to know you're doing much better.  What a courage you have there.  I have 2 young kids of my own and understand how tough it could be sometimes. 

Keep it up and take care. 

Pembo

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2006, 07:19:19 pm »
Welcome Patrea and what an amazing story.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2006, 09:48:19 am »
Welcome....what an amazing story.  I'm glad you found our site as I'm sure you have many valuable things to share.  It's been a great comfort to be able to talk to people who understand this thing and what it can do....so very glad you are here.  How are your kids today?  You should have a 3 almost 4 year old about to have a birthday!   That's just amazing!
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar