Author Topic: Mom Needs Help re. Transear for son  (Read 2473 times)


  • New Member
  • *
  • Posts: 4
Mom Needs Help re. Transear for son
« on: March 15, 2011, 01:38:17 pm »
Hello, I am a new member of this forum. I came here looking for information about TransEar hearing aid. Please do bear with me- my son does not have AN, but he has Sensorineural Hearing Loss in right ear since birth. The doctors have not been very helpful in figuring out what actually is wrong. Anyway, we are very much interested in trying out the TransEar. Now my question to all the good people here is :

There are a couple of Audiologists in my area but they do NOT have  experience in dealing w/  children AND TransEar, so what are the questions I should be asking her and what to look for? or should we travel farther to an Audiologist having experience of fitting children w/ TransEar ?

Any input would be GREATLY appreciated.

Sincerely thanking you all...


  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 389
Re: Mom Needs Help re. Transear for son
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 01:54:02 pm »
My audiologist was not familiar with fitting Transear and I have a very small ear canal.  She  put a wax-like substance into the canal.  It was no problem.  Susan
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010


  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 799
Re: Mom Needs Help re. Transear for son
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 10:20:21 pm »
I was the one who informed my audiologist about the TransEar. It was not a problem for her. Some of the best advice I got was that the deeper the impression that is taken of the ear the better. I would just look for a quality audiologist that is willing to learn.
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD


  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 142
  • "Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Re: Mom Needs Help re. Transear for son
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 10:54:03 pm »
Not knowing where you live, look for a big city hospital or universities with medical center nearest to  you that deals with children health would be your best bet.  Sometimes a phone call and possible one day drive to the medical center may help.
"Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Treacher Collin's Syndrome
First surgery left side 12-08, Baha Intenso 3-09
Abbutment came loose on 5-09
Bilateral Baha surgery 6-09 Baha refitted 9-09
Richard & Mark Wiet MD from Ear Institute of Chicago.


  • New Member
  • *
  • Posts: 4
Re: Mom Needs Help re. Transear for son
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 12:17:23 pm »
Thank you all so very much for the replies.


  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 10826
  • I am a success story!
Re: Mom Needs Help re. Transear for son
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 10:25:15 pm »
I'm not so sure that TransEars are typically worn by children. 

Most cases that I know of involving children who are SSD involve a BAHA (bone-anchored hearing aid). 

Ken is right; you need to look for a pediatric audiology program.  There's a wonderful one here (Chicago area) that I know of.  If you are anywhere near this area and want information, let me know and I'll give you the details. 

Good luck,

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways