Author Topic: BAHA Approved!/Scheduled! & more Questions???  (Read 4838 times)

heyct

BAHA Approved!/Scheduled! & more Questions???
« on: March 03, 2011, 11:42:34 am »
Everything is approved & scheduled for 5/20! I sure wish it were sooner!

But, I do have a few questions:

BP3 or Oticon?
I demoed the BP100 a while back & am now going back to demo the Pronto & compare. It seems the few of you that have it have been very happy w/the new device, so now I am confused as to which I should get. It also seems the BP wearers have numerous feedback issues.

Summer Activities?
What are the restrictions on swimming during the healing process, before receiving the processor? As summer is rolling around the corner, we have several boating activities we do. How long does it take before the incision heals from surgery? Can I wear a swim cap if swimming is restricted?

Thanks so much!
Carolyn
Diagnosed 2/09
9 x 6mm
Translab Surgery: 5/20/09, Stanford..it was a Hemangioma!
Almost complete removal, will have to do update MRIs.
BAHA Ponto Pro 5/9/11

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
Re: BAHA Approved!/Scheduled! & more Questions???
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 01:41:38 pm »
Hey Carolyn, congrats on the approval!!  I just had my BAHA surgery done this last Friday (almost a week now), and I am more than ready for my "gotcha" date (in 3 months).  I went with the Ponto Pro....There are pros and cons to both units, in my research.  BP100 by Cochlear has been around for a long time, Ponto's the new kid on the block, but has some good innovations of its own.  Either one will do you well, as opposed to what you have before (which is not a lot!!) :)  Anyways, I know how it is waiting for the clock to tick down, but it will be here before you know it! Take care!
Jay
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 06:22:25 pm by jaylogs »
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

ksiwek

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 02:23:54 pm »
Hi Carolyn!

That is exciting news!  I had my BAHA surgery back on October 7th, 2010.  I began wearing my processor in January.  It has helped me in many ways.  As for swimming, I was told that once the skin incision heals you can swim.  So you do not have to wait 3 months.  3 months is for osseointegration.  I was in the Bahamas and Miami in January (3 months post op) without issues.  I also took my son to swim lessons in December without issue.  Just ask your surgeon what his opinion is...

I went with the Oticon Ponto Pro.  I think my device is great and haven't had any issues with it.  As a new user, I have never worn the device by Cochlear so I don't have a basis for comparison.  All I can tell you is that it is easy to use and works well for me :)  As Jay said, either is an improvement  ;D  I researched and talked to numerous people...it was all so new to me and I wanted all the information I could get my hands on!  Please feel free to ask any other BAHA questions as they come up!

Good luck!
Kris
Translab 6/4/10 for 4+ cm left AN.  Drs Friedman and Schwartz at HEI saved my life!
BAHA surgery on 10/7/10 with Dr Battista of Chicago Ear Institute (Oticon Ponto Pro)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 08:27:06 pm »
Invested my money in a BP100 - my second processor by Cochlear (first was a Divino).

My BP100 has had a few minor issues, but nothing that Cochlear wasn't quick to fix - for free, including expedited shipping - within 5 business days.  Interestingly enough, I've never had a problem with feedback - my problems were a setting that got "stuck" and the low battery signal beeping when the battery wasn't low  ::)  I got my BP100 in April 2010 and these are the only issues I've had.  My Divino never had any issues - I just decided to upgrade to the BP100 when it came out.

I demo'd both the BP100 and the Ponto Pro (my comparison is here on the Forum somewhere).  They are pretty comparable - but I have great confidence in Cochlear products and I'm a Cochlear volunteer so that swayed my choice.

Jan

Almost forgot - Carolyn, please PM your mailing address to me or Lori (lori67) so we can send you one of our complimentary Official BAHA Recovery Kits.
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 02:00:10 pm »
I did a demo trial with both the BP100 and the Ponto Pro.  For me, the BP100 seemed to be the best.  I have had trouble with feedback and beeping, but the unit is being replaced, and my "loaner" has had no problems at all.  I think it is just a personal decision and both will provide you with hearing that you don't currently have!  Good luck and keep us posted.
~Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

moe

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 11:36:07 am »
That IS the big question! ???
I had no choice with military health care, and received the Ponto this past November, which I really like.
So does that help? Probably NOT! Either one is good......
Maureen
The Ponto IS a bit smaller, not as boxy as the BP 100
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

heyct

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 08:11:56 pm »
Thanks everyone for your input. I go for my demo mid-April. Surgery is May 20, my exact 2yr anniversary of SSD.

I was just wodering, can you have the abutment removed if you do not like it? Several people have asked me this, so it got me wondering.

Thanks again,
Carolyn
Diagnosed 2/09
9 x 6mm
Translab Surgery: 5/20/09, Stanford..it was a Hemangioma!
Almost complete removal, will have to do update MRIs.
BAHA Ponto Pro 5/9/11

moe

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 09:56:46 pm »
During my original brain surgery, I had a BAHA put in because they knew I would lose hearing.

It didn't work out and so they unscrewed the abutment and it just healed over nicely. They said I could try again down the road.

I recently tried the BAHA again  (Nov) and it was an easy procedure of just screwing the abutment back in. Improved BAHA, I like this one much better and am sticking with it! (So there was a couple of years in between).
Hope this helps :)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 11:19:54 pm »
I was just wondering, can you have the abutment removed if you do not like it? Several people have asked me this, so it got me wondering.

The abutment (which is screwed on to the top of the titanium rod) can be removed easily by your doc with a screwdriver.

The titanium rod stays implanted in the skull.

Once the abutment is removed, the skin on your skull would grow over it. 

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways