Author Topic: anyone else have eye problems  (Read 11493 times)

alabamajane

anyone else have eye problems
« on: March 04, 2011, 09:06:01 am »
Hi, I am new to this,, have been diagnosed in July 2008 with 2.5cm AN and have been just having MRI's every 6 mo. to determine growth.. not much change from what Dr says but my symptoms are increasing. Hearing getting worse, headaches, vertigo, tinnitus pretty bad and nausea due to balance issues I guess. But wondering if anyone else has had problems with eyes... seems like mine don't always focus correctly.. and I feel nauseous most of the time if I am up. I developed seizures at the same time I found out about AN.. actually the MRI for a seizure is how it was diagnosed.. I have never had seizures in my life and am in late 50's. I can not help but think it is related although neurologist says not ....anyway,,,, just wondering if others have had these issues with their AN .. I am seeing a Dr. who follows the MRI's but I am not comfortable with using him for surgery even though he has done "some"... I need a new Dr. and have contacted HEI for consult and that Dr. was wonderful. Not sure I can travel that far right now but will consider it.  thanks for any advice and help,.. I have found wonderful help through this site and forum .. thanks to all who help us newbies through this struggle...
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

ChristineH

Re: anyone else have eye problems
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 12:41:49 pm »
Hi Jane, My AN is 2.3cm and I have everything you describe except the eye focus problem. Could it be from dizziness, which I have frequest episodes? I just recently started having nausea but didn't think that it may be related. I have been VERY stressed out over this and thought that was the culprit. The doctors that I have seen say I am not a candidate for the watch and wait because it is pressing against on the brainstem. The only eye problem I am annoyed with is that I have a twitch on the opposite side of my face but then again most of my AN symptoms are on the opposite side anyway...doctors can't seem to figure that one out. Wish I could be more helpto you. There is a wealth of information on this forum, take the time and read and read.
Good Luck,
Christine
2.3cm x 1.9cm x 1.6cm, April 7, 2011 Retro Sig at Barrows in Phoenix, AZ. by Dr. Syms and Dr. Porter slight growth to 2.6cm -3.0cm day prior to surgery. SSD and balance isssues. 6 month MRI shows "enhanced area" : ( Will repeat again in 4 months.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 03:06:06 pm »
Hi, Jane - and welcome.  As I usually state to new members: I'm sorry you have a reason to be here (AN diagnosis) but glad you found us.

Although I'm not a doctor I do know that vision problems can occur with an acoustic neuroma - but yours could also be due to other causes, especially in light of the seizure you mentioned  I would suggest you consult an Ophthalmologist for a complete eye examination to help determine whether your inability to focus is AN-related or caused by something else.  This could be crucial information.  

There are many 'local' doctors that operate on acoustic neuroma patients and have fine outcomes.  I found one of those in a nearby small city and he was excellent, with decades of experience surgically removing ANs.  Although my hearing was already 'lost' due to my procrastination in addressing my AN, I suffered no other lasting problems, post-op.  Later radiation treatments (pre-planned) were uneventful, but successful in 'killing' the remaining tumor.  However, like you, I first considered going to the House Ear Institute in Los Angeles based on their excellent reputation and success record.  Had I not found the neurosurgeon that I chose, I probably would have incurred the expense of traveling to HEI in California, so, in my opinion, HEI' remains a good 'Plan B' option.    

I hope you'll consider us your friends and draw on the collective expertise of our many members who have practical experience dealing with an acoustic neuroma and are very supportive and eager to help.  Just ask.  You have my best wishes as you venture forth on your 'AN journey'.  May it be smooth and, ultimately, successful.  :)

Jim    
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 01:03:56 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 12:07:32 pm »
Jane, First, welcome to the forum. We hope you find it to be a safe and helpful place.

While I did not eye problems pre-surgery, I did have them post-surgery. Not being a doctor and not knowing the specifics of the tumor, I certainly can't tell you one or the other if the problems are related. What I can say is that my post-surgery complications involved the left eye not being able to keep up with the right eye. I had double-vision that was treated with a series of prisms adhered to my glasses that got progressively less strong until the problem was solved and my nerve had healed enough and my brain had adapted. What the docs explained to me is that muscles left eye simply could not move fast enough to keep the eyes in-sync. This made it very difficult to focus...especially in a moving vehicle. This may or may not seem familiar to you.

I second Jim's recommendation of seeing an ophthalmologist.

I also considered going to HEI. My tumor was on the large size, but I ended up opting with the local medical school after meeting my docs and recognizing they were saying the same things as the docs at HEI. Unfortunately, the experience ended up being a bit different with a very long surgery, but I had excellent outcomes with wonderful care that continues through this day a year later.

I hope this is helpful,

Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

arkansasfarmgirl

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 04:49:06 pm »
I had eye problems.  The one on my AN side did not track right and would jump up and down if I looked to the side.

MNTim

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 08:18:27 am »
Jane,

Focus problems are what led to the discovery of my AN.  My optometrist referred me to an opthamologist who recommeded a same day MRI and referred me to the ER.  I am not saying it is an emergency but I think the recommendation to see an opthamologist is on target.  Mine had a background in neurology so was somewhat familiar with ANs.

Best of luck,
Tim
8/31/09 hydrocephulus-emergent drain
9/2/09 5 cm AN debulked, Retro Sig Abbott NW
5/18/10 Second debulk, Retro Sig Abbott NW
1/31/11 Translab, 7/12 Graft Mayo Rochester, MN
2/12/11 Lumbar drain
3/14/11 Eustacian tube packing procedure for CSF leak
2/28/13 Platinum weight & Tarsorrhaphy