Author Topic: Any experiences with Dr. Brackmann at House Ear in LA?  (Read 28658 times)

meh

Any experiences with Dr. Brackmann at House Ear in LA?
« on: June 21, 2006, 08:04:27 am »
Can anyone share their experiences with Dr. Brackmann at house Ear Institute in LA?
We are consulting him.

We would like to know after surgery effects, how he does with the surgery, how is the treatment at House from Nurses and everyone else.

Very confused. >:(

We really approeciate if anyone can share their experience with him.
Thansk.

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
Re: Any experiences with Dr. Brackmann at House Ear in LA?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 02:14:40 pm »
  A Search through the forum for "Brackman" will bring up several threads.  Unfortunately, the search doesn't search through everyones signature info, where many list their doctors.  There are several people on this forum who have been treated by Dr. Brackman who will respond when they see your question. From the posts I've seen, Dr. Brackman is highly regarded.
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Desilu

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2006, 05:41:46 pm »
Hi meh,

I had surgery with Dr. Brackmann on July 26, 2005.  Prior to this, I had sent him my films and he called me to give me his opinion. He told me that he would call me back in a few weeks to give me time to think about it. I figured I'd never hear from him again. Well low and behold about 3 weeks later the phone rang and it was Dr. Brackmann, I about dropped the phone.
The rest is history, the surgery went well, I only lost 10% of my hearing on my surgery side and I was back to work in 8 weeks. I have since called and left messages with him and he has always returned my calls. He is very skilled at what he does and he makes you feel very relaxed when you talk to him. I wish you the best! Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

catie123

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 07:13:18 pm »
HI:  Dr. Brackmann along with Dr. Hitzelberger (the neurosurgeon) and a host of others performed my AN removal surgery 11 days ago.  I had the surgery the afternoon of Aug. 3rd, by the afternoon of the 7th I was discharged and stayed at the New Otani Hotel in downtown LA.  Saw Dr. Brackmann et al. on the 10th, they took the stiches out and gave me a clean bill of health.  I was on a plane heading back to the Washington DC area the morning of the 12th and am doing very well.

The decision to take the AN out was not an easy one.  It was very small, only 4mm.  My hearing was perfect but I had balance issues.  I decided to have it removed because I am relatively young (so Dr. Brackmann says), I'm 40 and the recovery now would be much easier than if I was older.

The day before my surgery I met the crew from the House Ear Clinic and all my doubts, fears and second guessing just melted away.  I knew I made the right decision.  From the audiologist, to the staff at St. Vincent Medical Center where the procedure was performed, all made me feel that this was the best thing to do.

Dr. Brackmann and Dr. Hitselberger are the best in their field when it comes to this.  Yes, they are older but they are good and confident. 

I am feeling great.  The vestibular branches of the acoustic nerve had to be cut, so it will take a little more time for my balance to level out.  I do have some hearing loss but some of it is because of swelling and fluid in my middle ear. I am thrilled I a made the choice to go out there.

Best of luck to you!

kippy6

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 07:28:40 pm »
I had surgery by Dr. Brackmann and Dr. Hitzelberger about 4 weeks ago. My tumor was considered large, and I was in ICU for 1 1/2 days, and released after about 5 days. I had no facial paraylsis, not even temporary. I am very pleased w/the outcome, and have no unusual post-surgery effects. I researched in great depth before using him (I live in Georgia), and came into contact with one person who researched intently for four years and used Dr. Brackmann as well. These doctors are widely known, and while I was there, I met a couple who had travelled overseas to use him. One thing I found very impressive with Dr. Brackmann, is that even during my pre-op appt., he received a phonecall from a patient, which he took in the room. He was very kind and considerate. I have called The house once since arriving home to ask a question about taking motrin or tylenol, and they asked me if I wanted to talk to Dr. Brackmann. Apparently, talks with many of his patients personally if a question arises after surgery. I like the idea of being able to talk to him directly if need be.

As far as the nursing staff, everyone was extremely nice. My ICU nurse was very attentive, and all nursing staff was extremely helpful. I have no complaints whatsoever.

We made a reservation in Seton Hall (hospital housing), so once we arrived in LA, we checked in there... The rooms aren't fancy, just basic, but that was okay with me. They served their purpose. I loved being there because I met so many wonderful people, and they were all going through the same surgery as me! Every one on my hall that I met had acoustic neuroma surgery. After being discharged from the hospital, I went back to Seton Hall, and stayed there for the remainder of my stay. My husband really wanted to stay at the Beverly Hills Hotel, but I didn't see the point since I wouldn't be able to enjoy it. And in retrospect, I feel like I would have missed out on so many relationships, compassion, and wonderful, genuine people.
AN surgery July 19, 2006
for 3cm AN and arachnoid cyst (right side)
Translab surgical approach
Dr. Brackmann and Dr. Hitselberger
House Ear Insititute

sharon dorn

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2006, 12:04:35 am »
Dr. Brackmann is the best and the most wonderful human being in the entire world.  I adore him, and I would not give a thought to going anywhere else.  He is numero  uno.    Sharon Dorn

tryston

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2006, 09:46:27 am »
I am a BIG FAN! He just removed my AN two weeks ago. I feel privileged to be in his and Dr. Hitselberger's care. His staff is intelligent, totally coordinated and accomodating and the ICU nurses at St. Vincent's were excellent. I felt totally secure there. He is an expert and an angel.
37 yrs old
8 - 10mm AN in left IAC removed 9/12/06
Middle Fossa
Drs. Brackmann & Hitselberger, HEC

vcschaub

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2006, 10:10:14 am »
I had surgery with Dr Brackmann 10 months ago. He is an attentive and caring doctor. All concerns were promptly answered both before and after surgery. I felt confident going into surgery and have had a successful outcome, minimal loss of hearing, delayed facial weakness which has almost resolved - just some synkinesis with eye closing and tearing. I am so glad he was my surgeon.
6mm
Middle Fossa November 8, 2005
Drs Brackmann and Hitselberger
House Ear

lclifton

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2006, 07:51:10 pm »
Will Dr. Brackman look at films and consult over the phone?  If so, what does he charge?

Also, how has the insurance situation been at the House Clinic for everyone?  Anything a newbie should know?

Lisa

vcschaub

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2006, 09:20:14 am »
Yes, Dr. Brackmann will review your films for free. He will call you directly and discuss his opinion with you. He is very thorough and will send a bunch of material for you to read. The follow up is excellent as well.
6mm
Middle Fossa November 8, 2005
Drs Brackmann and Hitselberger
House Ear

sherry6

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2006, 12:58:31 am »
Brackmann and Hitzleberger were fantastic!  I flew to LA from NYC after speaking with several other doctors in NY.  House Ear Clinic invented the procedures for AN removal and they have more experience with this particular type of tumor than any other dr I spoke with.  The doctor makes all the difference.  I had a 3 cm AN removed by them in 10/01.  I came through perfect!  The doctors and staff are top notch!

My insurance paid out without any problem....

kristin

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2006, 09:35:03 pm »
i also had brackmann and hitselberger for my 8 mm left AN on april 14, 2005. both were wonderful. i flew from kalispell, montana to the big city of los angeles. quite the culture shock! but the docs/hospital/clinic were all great. my tumor was removed using the middle fossa technique. i have only slight hearing loss, but still within the normal range. i do have the "freaky eye" like i mentioned on another post. which just means my AN side eye doesn't close all the way when i smile.

i would highly recommend dr. brackmann to remove your tumor. he's the best of the best....the creme de la creme as my referring doctor described him.

kristin in montana
8 x 5 mm Left Acoustic Neuroma
Middle Fossa
House Ear Clinic
Dr. Derald Brackmann, Dr. William Hitselberger
April 14, 2005

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have troubles. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Sam Rush

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2006, 04:05:18 pm »
As a medical Doctor for 35 yrs, I did extensive research when I was diagnosed w/ AN Oct. 2004. It seems that Dr. Brackmann has developed all the modern surgical tecniques for AN and has taught worldwide on this subject.  He is still active and considered the wordwide expert on the current surgical procedures, very easy to talk to, retuns calls promptly. Yesterday I had a problem w/ my BAHA and he took my call immediately.    I'm sure he would talk to you on the phone and review your MRI   Good luck
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

michael

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2006, 12:57:49 pm »
I sent Dr. Brackman my MRI and he called twice to speak with me personally, I was very impressed. My feeling was that if I decided to go the surgery route that Dr. Brackman was the one for me. The number of surgeries he does appears to dwarfs all others that I came in contact with. I was ready to make the trip but decided that with my AN being only 11MM that GK (Gamma Knife) was a better option for me. I was in and out in a morning. Dr Ed Shaw at Wake Forest University Hospital Winston Salem, NC. Great staff, great treatment but, it was what was right for me. Tumor size, location, personal mind set all have a hugh bearing on what we each should do.
Comments I recieved and took to heart: 1)Go to the best technician, never mind bedside manner ( Dr. Brackman appears to have both) and 2) always remember that you are the captian of your own ship, you decide where it is you want to go and they (your doctors) can tell you how to get there. 

Hope you well,

Michael
11 MM AN - Gamma Knife 4/2004 - Wake Forest/Baptist Hospital - North Carolina, Dr. Ed Shaw

marjoryb

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2006, 01:47:35 pm »
When I was first diagnosed, I contacted Dr. Brackman's office.  Dr. Brackman called me and asked that I send him my MRI.  He reviewed the film and sent me a letter with his recommendation that I watch and wait;  I had no symptoms at the time.   He folllowed up and contacted me again after one year to ask for an updated MRI to see if the AN had grown and to see if I had any symptoms.     

During the year of my watch and wait, I began having symptoms of dizziness and fullness in my ear on the AN side and sought medical opinions from doctors at The Johns Hopkins University Hospital.    After alot of research and discussions with people on this site - as well as second and third opinions re: surgery vs. radiation - I chose to have surgery (on July 7, 2006) at Johns Hopkins.   

Dr. Brackman was my first point of contact and he was great, but I felt very comfortable with the Hopkins doctors and decided I didn't want to travel to L.A. for the surgery.

Marjoryb