Author Topic: Cyberknife and BAHA questions  (Read 4543 times)

valerie_g

Cyberknife and BAHA questions
« on: February 18, 2011, 07:45:31 am »
Good morning everyone,

After a lot of thinking (I mean A LOT!!!) I will probably have my Cyberknife treatment first week of March. I do have a question for people who had the treatment. Did the Cyberknife treatment increase your tinnitus? I already have tinnitus and I’m now SDD on that ear. It is manageable most of the time and I’m hopping it will stay the same.

Also, my ENT is looking at either end of April or May for a BAHA surgery, from anybody with BAHA experience is this enough time between Cyberknife treatment and surgery or doesn’t really mater. I know you guys are not doctors, I just want to expose my thought-concern.
March 2009 5 mm X 4 mm
July 2010 6 mm X 5 mm
March 2011 7mm X 6mm Cyberknife radiosurgery Ottawa General Hospital
June 2011 BAHA surgery Ottawa Civic Hospital

sunfish

Re: Cyberknife and BAHA questions
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 11:19:48 am »
CK increased my tinnitus for a week or so, but then it subsided.  I do have all sorts of tinnitus, but I'm blessed in that it doesn't bother me.  I do think I have more since CK last March, but who's to say it wouldn't have increased without CK anyhow. Long story short, CK didn't really change my tinnitus all that much.
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 06:14:46 am »
Hi Valerie

In your quest for CK'ers to answer your question.... almost 5 yrs later, I can report that initially, post-CK, I had some enhanced tinnitus within the first 3-9 mos, which did subside.  At this point for me, I now can report that my tinnitus only shows up when I'm over-tired or stressed (esp. "pulsating" tinnitus with stress).

So, for me, only initially enhanced, but with my CK team monitoring me (I kept them updated) and prescribed short-term course of steroids (to help ensure no swelling going on post-CK), like sunfish, CK did not change mine that much.

Hope this helps.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 12:01:32 pm »
Valerie,

Yes CK increased the tinnitus that I experienced but after a few weeks it did go back to pre CK.  Hopefully you doctor told you that CK can also cause some hearing loss, and that it depends on where the tumor is located.

TJ

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 10:26:49 am »
Also, my ENT is looking at either end of April or May for a BAHA surgery, from anybody with BAHA experience is this enough time between Cyberknife treatment and surgery or doesn’t really mater. I know you guys are not doctors, I just want to expose my thought-concern.

I had surgery, not CK, prior to my BAHA implant and the rule was that my head had to be "healed" from the surgery. 

I'm guessing that since CK isn't invasive, like surgery, that you'd be able to have the implant just about anytime post radiation. 

Just my two cents worth though; best to rely on your doctor's advice.

Good luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ColorLady

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 06:15:41 am »
Hi,
I hope your CK went well. In response to your question about CK's affect on tinnitus I can tell you that I detected not difference in mine immediately after or as time has passed. It has been over 2 years now.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 07:21:34 am »
Hi,
I hope your CK went well. In response to your question about CK's affect on tinnitus I can tell you that I detected not difference in mine immediately after or as time has passed. It has been over 2 years now.

*runs in and gives ColorLady a MAJOR BIG huggle!!!!!!!*  :-*  :-*  :-*  I can't believe it's 2 yrs now! Wow!
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

valerie_g

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 07:49:27 am »
Hello all,

it been almost 2 weeks since my last Cyberknife treatment. I have no side effect and my tinnitus is sounding different but hasn't increase. Other than that I'm feeling fine so far. I have now began the waiting game  ::) did Cyberknife did his trick?
March 2009 5 mm X 4 mm
July 2010 6 mm X 5 mm
March 2011 7mm X 6mm Cyberknife radiosurgery Ottawa General Hospital
June 2011 BAHA surgery Ottawa Civic Hospital