Author Topic: Echoing in ear ---  (Read 30757 times)

patt

Echoing in ear ---
« on: February 10, 2011, 01:18:17 pm »
Hi--

I was diagnosed with a 3cm AN last March.   I had 30 treatments of Radiation and have been doing great!!

Starting in January, I have been noticing "ECHOING" in my ear.   I can hear my breathing, heartbeat and my talking.  It is very bothersome and I am getting very nervous about it.    I do not have a cold.    I have an appointment with my Radiation Dr next Monday.   

I am wondering if there are any of you out there that have had the same problem after treatment.   I would appreciate your help.

Will we ever be done worrying about our AN??   I have to tell you --- I think about it everyday!!!!!

Thanks for listening ----   Patt from Minnesota
Patt  - age 63
Diagnosed - 3/22/2010  -- sudden hearing loss Rt ear
Right ear -- 2.7cm
Left ear -- limited hearing
Will be having "FSR" 
Starting date is June 1st, 2010
30 treatments  --  6 sites
July 12, 2010 -- Completed "FSR" treatments
Oct 2010 - MRI -Slight decrease in size

JAndrews

Re: Echoing in ear ---
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 06:47:21 pm »
After I had surgery I started having that echo about 6 weeks post op. It came off and on for about 3 months. I spoke with Dr. Brackmann who said it wasn't a problem. It eventually went away. But then I also stopped using afrin nasal spray about that same time, so maybe the nose spray had something to do with it..
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 07:34:24 pm »
Pat

I think it has a lot to do with where the AN is.  Hopefully you know that after radiation it is very normal for the AN to get larger from swelling.  If the AN is affecting the nerves in you canal that might tell you why you hear this now.  Good luck

TJ

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 12:27:19 am »
Please don't worry about the AN.  It's been dealt with and it is on it's way to being dead, dead, dead.  Unfortunately, with AN's, since we have so many symptoms, we are constantly being reminded that we have something going on up there that shouldn't be there.  It takes a lot of effort to "let it go", but it can be done.  Time does help.  After a while  you just have to come to the conclusion that medical science has done all that it can do, and now you need to just try to live your life without giving this AN any more of your valuable time and energy.  I wish you all the best,

Sue in Vancouver, USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

sunfish

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 07:37:38 am »
I'm assuming you have an ENT doctor on your case, since you have hearing loss.  I would DEFINITELY contact your ENT's office and describe these symptoms.

It's hard to know who to contact for what symptom - last week, I noticed a sudden loss in my level of hearing.  I called my ENT, but they didn't seem too worried (the last time this happened, they treated it like an emergency).  So I got a hurry-up appointment with my neuro-otologist, and that turned out to be a disaster.  In the future, I'm sticking with the basic, ENT!!

IMO, this certainly sounds like something you should see the "ear" people for.  Take care!
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

Mickey

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 10:49:25 am »
Over the course of my  30+ years of having tinnitus I`ve experienced so many different sounds which come and go. When I can get my steady ring tone and nothing else I consider this normal for me. Best wishes, Mickey

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 03:39:11 pm »
I had echoing in the ear once.  It was this tinny echo of everything, and it turned out I had a little hole in my eardrum.  Once it healed, the echo went away.
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

patt

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 09:51:07 pm »
Hi Again --

I want to thank all of you for replying to my post.  There isn't anyone that understands any of this besides all of you.   You have to go thru it to understand the feelings that we have.  That constant worry we have of what tomorrow might bring.   So, everytime you feel something in your head, we think the worst!!
      I did call my Radiation Oncologist.  He was out of town until Monday, so I will see him on Monday morning at 8:00.   I didn't mind the wait  --- that way I will give it more time and see if it continues until then.    Same thing happened today  ---   I got up @7 and by 9 the echoing started.  Around 4 o'clock -- it went away again.    I just don't understand it.
        I will, forsure, share with you what I find out on Monday.
        Thanks again.  This forum has such strong and caring friends.   What would we do without you??
                        Patt from Minnesota
Patt  - age 63
Right ear -- 2.7cm
Will be having "FSR" 

chrisransom

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 09:54:11 am »
Patt,

I too have echo-ey tinnitus.  I've had the ringing all my life and it's always just been a high ptich (actually 2 different notes in one ear and 2 or 3 in the other).  Sounds like a ringing after you're too close when a fire cracker goes off - but it doesn't go away.  One of the first indications I had that something was afoot was that my ringing in the left ear started sounding more like a bell or a chime - much more hollow sounding and I guess I'd call it an echo, too. In December it sounded like my ear  became plugged up - I could hear myself talking, breathing, swallowing,and my heartbeat - especially when I went to bed.  That when I first went to and ENT because it was too wierd to ignore.  Result - 2.1cm AN on left side.  I've taken no action yet - probably a watcher/waiter but I have a 2nd opinion consult next week.

I'd be interested to hear what your ent says - please give us a follow-up post.

Chris (also in MN)

Diagnosed with 21x16x16 mm AN in December 2010.  No change in June 2011 nor in January 2012.  No major symptoms - tinnitus, some fullness in left ear but no hearing loss or other symptoms.
Firmly in the W&W camp for now.

patt

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 03:25:34 pm »
Hi Again --

I did see my Radiation Oncologist this morning and he has ordered a repeat MRI on me.  I will be going this afternoon and hopefully a report sometime tomorrow.   Dr D put me on "Zyrtec-D"  -- just to see if things would clear up with that.   We are hoping.   I will also be seeing my ENT doctor at the end of the week.
       The "echoing has been going on since the middle of January --- why isn't it going away??   When it happens I can hear myself talking, breathing and my heartbeat.  Very irritating -- way too much noice coming into that ear.
       I finished "30 radiation treatments" last July.  I have been doing great up until now.   This maybe unrelated - I hope.
       I will let you know my results.
       Thanks everyone for being so supportive.
               Patt from Minnesota
Patt  - age 63
Right ear -- 2.7cm
Will be having "FSR" 

patt

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 10:03:40 am »
Hi ---
     Just want to update you about my "echoing in my ear".   It is still happening -- everyday since Feb 6th.   Very annoying!  I know how to fix it --- I have to lay down for about 45 mins and then it will go away for the day.   Starts over again the next day.

I did see my ENT Dr. and with my symptoms she diagnosed me with PET, which is Patulous Estachian Tube.  The estachian tube stays open - doesn't want to close when it should.  Is it from my Radiation??  They both said --- could be.   Will it go away??  They both said -  50-50 chance.   I felt that appointment was worthless, because I found my diagnoses on the computer myself.    My repeat MRI was stable - no change - which I was hoping would have been smaller by now.   2.7CM Acoustic Neuroma which only decreased by 3MM in 7 months.

I wish I could just wake up in the morning and feel 100% and not have to thinking about this thing in my head!!  It is not happening!!

Thanks for listening and your replies.   This is a great forum.  I know that I was gone for awhile, but when something comes up --- I know where to go that people will listen!!

Patt from Minnesota
Patt  - age 63
Right ear -- 2.7cm
Will be having "FSR"