Author Topic: Facial Tingling  (Read 4962 times)

hendi51

Facial Tingling
« on: November 28, 2010, 04:11:36 pm »
My husband Lynn is still in the W & W status. He was to be scheduled for surgery in May for a 1.5 cm AN in the left IAC. Due to a heart attack in early May surgery was postponed so we are still W & W. My question today is to ask about some symptoms that are new to him. He has had some minor tingling in the past but now he says it feels like "bugs" crawling on his face on a daily basis. Is this something one of you have experienced? Thanks in advance for any info.
My husband had translab 3/15/2011 for 1.5 cm x 1.5 cm left side AN at
Methodist University Hospital in
Memphis, Tn

jerseygirl

Re: Facial Tingling
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 07:02:08 pm »
Is it on one side of the face or both sides of the face? If one side only, is it the same side as AN?

One sided facial tingling (same side as AN) can be caused by the AN by pressing on the trigeminal nerve. In fact, this can be the first symptom of AN which leads to its discovery. However, other side or both sides is highly unlikely to be AN related.

Hope I helped.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 10:05:56 pm »
Eve is right.  It could also be the AN pressing on the facial nerve if on the same side as the AN.

My advice would be to contact his doctor for a recommendation on whether additional scanning needs to be done.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

hendi51

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 08:24:20 am »
I should have stated that yes, it is on the AN side. Thanks.
Memphis, Tn

jerseygirl

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 08:40:12 am »
I would bring it up to the doctor, like Clarice suggested. If the symptom intensified to the point of impossibility, then maybe the surgery should be moved up to avoid permanent damage to the nerve?

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 02:47:47 am »
Yes I had this, started out as an intermitt ant thing then  ( over a couple of years) progressively  it became that my face was numb on the AN side. You should contact the doctor about this, if fact any change warrents a visit, or at least a call, to the doctor.
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

hendi51

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 09:05:37 am »
Thanks Kathleen. We will be having surgery next Tuesday at Memphis, Tn. We are looking forward to getting this behind us.
Memphis, Tn