Author Topic: new project  (Read 6207 times)

Cheryl R

new project
« on: February 06, 2011, 09:05:06 am »
I have signed up thru our county senior volunteer program to take a class.   2 days of 4 hrs each and then along with 2 others give work shops to the elderly in our county on how to prevent falls.      It is thru an Aging Resources of Iowa agency.    The others are ones I have worked with at the hospital and are now retired too.    I saw an article wanting help in the local paper.    We will give the workshops on a weekly basis for so many weeks to what ever group of older people want it.              Next week is when our classes are.        Some of what we will teach I know from working and some from my own AN experience.     Some will be showing them exercises.      Sounds like it will be interesting and the agency provides the materials for the workshops.        I know there will be some learning on my own part.         Luckily falls have not been a big issue for me.    It would be if I wasn't so careful to avoid ice and lots of snow and watch other conditions.     My wide based gait is my biggest issue.                       I will report back how it goes.                              Cheryl R 
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: new project
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 11:18:37 am »
This sounds great, Cheryl.

Can't wait to hear how it goes.

Definitely keep us updated!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 03:05:40 pm »
IMO, a great way to spend your time - helping others!  Let us know how it goes!!

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

sunfish

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 03:33:46 pm »
To me, working with other people keeps me from focusing too much on myself.  Also, it doesn't take long when you get out there in the world to find folks who are way worse off than we are. 
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 04:02:17 pm »
Way to go, Cheryl .....

Sounds like an extremely valuable program.  With the increasing number of elderly in our communities, this is becoming a significant issue.  I know too many friends who have fallen and broken wrists or hips right in their own homes.

This is exactly why I am going to the gym three times a week ...... to strengthen my overall muscles so that when I do have those off-balance moments, my muscles are strong enough to catch myself before falling.

Let us know how it all goes.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Cheryl R

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 08:35:54 am »
I do know about the helping others as my mother in law lives near us in the country and does not drive.       I am her driver a good share of the time.    She has just got over pneumonia so was also her grocery person.        I also have been of help with our nearby older lady friend who had 2 surgeries in 2010 and has no family in Iowa.                        I have been careful with what I would sign up for since I have to watch when I can be out in winter weather  when it anywhere near slippery.            Plus I am with Clarice in not out in the dark much also!                                         Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08

lori67

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 07:50:55 pm »
Cheryl,

That is great!  Your students are lucky to have such a great teacher!  I'm sure it will be rewarding for you and probably a lot of fun too!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

moe

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 08:21:27 pm »
Cheryl,
Sounds like a GREAT idea. Volunteering is so rewarding and you have so much to offer. GOOD FOR YOU!
I hope to volunteer again someday! Still too busy running back and forth to doctors and surgeons.
Let us know how it goes :)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Cheryl R

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 10:36:15 am »
Thank you too Donnalynn!      You and Jim have had way more than one needs to go thru too and hope for the best for you both!
                                                       Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 10:17:38 am »
Volunteering IS very rewarding.   

I used to volunteer on the pediatric ward of the local hospital and absolutely loved it, but since I've had kids my volunteering has been limited to helping out at their schools.

I just finished a volunteering stint - 20 hours of community hours that I was given by a judge for a traffic violation - and it reminded me how much I miss it.

Once we've moved into our new place and things settle down a bit, I'm hopeful I'll get back to volunteering again.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 12:58:40 pm »
Once we've moved into our new place and things settle down a bit, I'm hopeful I'll get back to volunteering again.

For each of us that spends time here, giving of love and support and shoulders and "good" ears..... m'dear, you ARE volunteering and it doesn't go unrecognized. Just my 2 cents! :) Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

moe

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 09:37:41 am »
I agree, Phyl.
I consider this volunteering, helping those who are scared out of their wits. So far, I've been able to meet one person, (in person- same hospital and surgeon) and help her through it all. She did GREAT- no complications :)
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty