Author Topic: Follow-up MRI  (Read 2270 times)

JLR

Follow-up MRI
« on: February 01, 2011, 12:25:42 pm »
I am 2 months post CK and had my first follow up MRI this morning. My CK team requests the follow-ups at 2months, and then 6 months, and then every year thereafter. Is that about the time frame for others.  I have an appt with my radiation oncologist next week. At 2 months I'm hoping the MRI shows no further growth as that is the ultimate goal.  Thanks for everyones ongoing support and great knowledge of the Acoustic Neuroma!  Joan

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
Re: Follow-up MRI
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 03:30:44 pm »
Joan,

I am almost 3 moths post CK my doctor has done one hearing test at 1 month and I will do again next week at 3 months.  I have lost some hearing from CK so he is watching it close. He said he would wait for an MRI for six months and then repeat it again at another six months.  After that if all goes well it would be once a year.

TJ

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 03:30:50 pm »
Hi, Joan ~

I believe that every doctor has his/her own protocol for follow-up MRI scans.  I underwent both surgery and FSR.  My neurosurgeon and radiation oncologist ordered MRI scans at 90 days post-radiation and again at 6 months post-FSR.  I underwent another MRI six months after that.  My next MRI was scheduled for 12 months later, two years post-op/radiation.  All were clear and even showed the beginnings of necrosis and shrinkage.  You might want to ask your doctor what his normal MRI schedule is for post-CK AN patients without problems.  I'm sure he'll be glad to tell you, so you'll know what to plan for.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

sunfish

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 06:07:27 pm »
I had a followup MRI at 3 months and 8 months post-CK, and have an 11 month MRI scheduled for the end of this month.  I think, in my case, the schedule has been dictated somewhat by symptoms and side effects.  The doctor actually hasn't told me much about the results, just that the tumor is about the same size and shows "significant devascularization."
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC