Author Topic: Intenso Trial  (Read 2199 times)

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
Intenso Trial
« on: January 22, 2011, 10:14:42 am »
Well, I've had some interesting events this week.  This all started about a month ago when I was in LA.  My youngest daughter had her first baby....a beautiful girl.  She was 2 1/2 weeks early, so it was rather unexpected, but all is well.  7 pounds and 21 1/2 inches!  Not much like a premie!  Anyway, as I was sitting in the hospital for those few days (my daughter had a C-section) my BAHA started beeping low battery beeps.  This also happened to me when I was in Africa, but the BP 100 was sent in when I returned and upgraded to the modifications to make it a BP3.  Thought I was done with the beeping.  I would replace the battery, and within 2 days, it would start again.  I did not get back until after the new year and made an appointment with my audiologist.  In addition to the beeping, I have been having the sense that my hearing is not as sharp as it was when I first got the BAHA.  I had asked about the Intenso, but because my hearing is fine in my other ear, she said I would probably not benefit from the Intenso.  She had heard a lecture given by an audiologist that goes around the country lecturing about BAHAs for Cochlear.  She said he was much more knowledgeable that the people she gets on the phone at Cochlear.  She had his cell number and called him while I was in the office.  He had her try a totally new program with me.  Originally I had gone with the program that Cochlear had recommended, but then my audiologist had to tweak that to make improvements for me.  That worked until recently.  The Cochlear audiologist tweaked the program even more.  It was much improved.  He then asked if I had tried an Intenso.  She explained why she had told me that may not work.  He thought it was worth a try.  The Intenso is in the process of being redesigned so that it will be programmable.  However, the final product is not coming down the pipeline any time soon.  She gave me an Intenso to demo for a couple of weeks until my next appointment.  I'm alternating between the BP3 and the Intenso.  Though the sound is a little louder with the Intenso, there is no directional microphone, so in very noisy environments, it is not quite as helpful.  I have until February 1st to make up my mind.  I think I am still leaning towards staying with the BP3.  It is also more comfortable on my abutment.  Not sure why that is...it is slightly larger, but that should not make a difference in comfort.  Stay tuned.....I'll keep you posted.
~Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Intenso Trial
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 09:59:42 pm »
Congratulations, Grandma  ;D

I've never tried an Intenso.  The biggest thing I know about it is that it's more "powerful" than the BP100 and it's not programmable. 

I've heard that Cochlear is working on an upgrade that will be programmable, but no one there seems to know when the upgrade will be available.  I talked to lots of folks there about it, but no one is certain - or at least willing to go on the record about a release date.

The low battery warning beeps seem to be an issue with a lot of BP100/BP3 processors.  I get it on occasion and there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it.  I never had the issue until my BP100 was adjusted to make it a BP3.  I've just learned to tune it out.  When I want to know if my battery has died or not, I just reach up and scratch it with my fingernail.  If I can hear the sound of my scratch I know the battery is working; if I hear nothing I know it's dead.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 11:30:14 am »
Exactly.  I was also told that the battery can indeed run out faster if I am increasing volume frequently or changing programs.  That should not be, but it is.  So far, I can see that the Intenso is more powerful, but I don't like the fact that it is not programmable.  It is also slightly bigger and I find it is less comfortable on my head.  That also makes no sense, but is just the way it is.  I'm sure I will stick with the BP3.  If, as the years go by, I find the hearing in my good ear decreases more, I may consider upgrading to the Intenso.  By then, it should be programmable.  I'm having an audiogram next week....have not had one for a year.  So, we will see where we are.
~Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 11:04:58 pm »
If, as the years go by, I find the hearing in my good ear decreases more, I may consider upgrading to the Intenso. 

This was exactly my doc's thinking when we decided the Divino was right for me.

One of the nice things about a BAHA is that the "post" is permanently in your head, so it's just a matter of "snapping" on a new processor when you need a change.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways