Author Topic: Got my implant today  (Read 2870 times)

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
Got my implant today
« on: January 25, 2011, 07:58:14 pm »
Short story: implant is done, no problems.

Long story: My surgeon emailed me yesterday saying it looked like everything was ready to go on his end and surgery would probably be about 10:30. Told me there was no reason to be at the hospital much before 8:30, no matter what the schedulers tell me they called later (they said to be there at 6:30).

I reported in at 8:25. Then I sat down and read until they called me back. Usually routine ensued, changed, IV line installed, answer questions, Melinda comes back. A little while the surgeon comes in and is a bit frustrated. My implant had not been delivered as promised at 8:00 am, but he had been assured it would be there at 10:00. However, he had been requested to move another surgery up which meant mine would be delayed two or three hours. He said he understood if I wanted to reschedule…I demurred saying I was patent and ready to go.

Darn good thing I had a book, particularly an interesting one.

Around 1:00 pm, after I had sent Melinda to get lunch, and then everything started moving. Shortly I was rolled into surgery where I got to see the 42 inch LCD monitor with a variety of pre-op checklists displayed.

I did fall asleep under sedation as this was performed under a local. The last thing I recall was being asked if I minded the group of med students watching that had just come in.

I said, “Of course not, that’s why I’m here.”

I woke up about two-thirds of the way through to the sound of the drill. They had drilled the hole through the skull already and were now countersinking it to make the abutment fit snug. It was all very interesting to listen to and I asked a few questions, one of which if what I was feeling at the time was the suturing. It was. It is a feeling you don’t really forget.

So, all went well. I have a minor headache tonight that is being soothed with chocolate from my BAHA Recovery Kit sent by friends on the AN Forum. I’ll go back to work tomorrow most likely with follow-up appointments each of the next two weeks. Later in the month I see the other ENT about my vocal cords and we’ll determine if another surgery is appropriate then.

The only downside today is that this was very hard on my wife. Yesterday she was having having panic attacks that continued through the night and today. Part of this is from stress at work, part is clearly a result of all the anticipated waiting and such from that very long 32 hours nearly a year ago. In retrospect, it may have been misguided to not ask her take off work for my three laryngoplasties. However, she was definitely in a better place when she saw me in recovery. It is also fortunate that one of my moms from Scouts is an nurse at MCV and was able to check on her once I had gone back.

Life is good.

Tod

PS - When they rolled me out of the OR, I waved to everyone and said "Thank you, I enjoyed it! Have a great day!"
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 08:03:04 pm by Tod »
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Got my implant today
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 08:27:07 pm »
Tod -

thanks for reporting in  ;D

Sounds like things went well and I think it's great you were a "live visual" for those med students.  I would have done the same.

I didn't have sedation, only local, but I don't recall the feeling of the suturing.  I remember a part where it felt like the doc was pulling my hair out by the roots, but my head was so numb it didn't really hurt; I just felt a stretching sensation.

Glad you're enjoying the chocolate; share some with your wife.  It will help her stress level.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

kraynok2

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 08:42:16 pm »
Tod,
  Glad you did not have any problems, although the wait would probably have driven me nuts and made me more nervous!   :D  I don't know if I could stand just a local like you did.  I think I'd rather be knocked out and not hear or feel the drilling.  I hope your wife is feeling better.  My husband delt with panic attacks for many years until he realized what caused his and he figured out how to control them.  It sounds like you have a good sense of humor.   ;D  Good luck to you with this new adventure.
Sandy

dianehen

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 10:36:39 pm »
Hi Todd, congrats on getting the implant but what an ordeal!  Good Luck healing!

moe

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 09:19:25 am »
Congrats on your BAHA! I'm sure you weren't fretting the wait, considering what you've been through.
Feel for your wife though. It IS harder for the spouse I think. We just sleep through (or try to anyway ;)) the procedures.
Good thing you had your book and IV hydration. I hate being NPO ( nothing by mouth) prior to surgery.
The wait begins...
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 11:36:29 am »
Congrats.  Glad that part is behind you, and your wife.
Jan, the pulling you felt was probably your sutures.
Tod, I'm sure you are now anxiously awaiting your "Gotcha Day".  The stress of yesterday should go away soon.  However, I know you have some other challenges ahead.  We are all routing for you!
~Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

Tod

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 12:05:13 pm »

Thanks everyone.

I have way beyond enough a number of exciting things going on right now, that my anxiousness for Gotcha day is not an issue. After this past year, waiting is actually pretty easy these days.

My wife does seem to be doing a little better today...she slept solidly all night.

-Tod

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

Kencutus

• "Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 05:21:35 pm »
I know I'm a little late to join the party but congrats on your surgery.  Now, you are on the way to recovering and will be plugged in about 90 days.   ;)
"Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Treacher Collin's Syndrome
First surgery left side 12-08, Baha Intenso 3-09
Abbutment came loose on 5-09
Bilateral Baha surgery 6-09 Baha refitted 9-09
Richard & Mark Wiet MD from Ear Institute of Chicago.

Tod

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 05:53:23 pm »
I'm hoping to join the collective in something closer to 49 days...we'll see. even 90 is fine.

Thanks,

Tod

BAHA implant 1/25/11.