Author Topic: New guy just finding out!  (Read 8114 times)

chris75

New guy just finding out!
« on: January 21, 2011, 01:13:13 am »
Hi Im Chris. Ive just been told that I have AN. Im a soldier in the Army and 29. I guess im fairly young for this but everyone has the trials in life. So like I said Im new and Im not that great at asking questions or knowing the right thing to ask Im a country kid and usually just take doctors at there word because well they are the doctor. I am leaning toward surgery only I know for sure that I will lose hearing to that side do to not having a direct line to the tumor so through the canal is kind of the option I was told. Im hoping to hear back from somebody on the right questions to ask Im not needing to worry about insurance or anything like that Im in hawaii that proves to be a problem but that will be something i know i need to address. Your help would be great thank you all good luck to those about to undergo a procedure and a speedy recovery to those that have undergone.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: New guy just finding out!
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 06:04:53 am »
Hi Chris and welcome. As I am a contractor for the USAF, first, let me say a very proud "thank you" for your service to this country! :)  I have learned so much about our active duty while working for the AF and I commend you for all you do!

Can you please share some of the specifics of your AN (ie: did they give you a size of the AN, its exact location -- ie: in the IAC or sticking out, etc), where you are located, etc, so we can provide better guidance? We're here to help, you are certainly not alone

Again, welcome!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Migoi

• Loving life as a hill dweller.
    • Migoi's Mumblings
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 07:59:09 am »
Hi Chris,

Sorry to hear that you had to find us, glad you were able to once the need arose.

If you are in Hawaii, being in the military can actually prove to be beneficial. I was living in Hawaii (as the dependent husband of a Navy retiree) when my AN was diagnosed and removed.

None of the ENT's out in town do AN treatment, everyone there goes to a mainland for treatment. However, if you are in the military there is an avenue you really want to check out prior to deciding the mainland is your only option. Get an appointment with Dr. Mitchell Ramsey at Tripler and talk with him. He removed my AN and I have very minimal after affects. I know that the general attitude toward Tripler is fairly negative but my personal experiences there (I lived in Hawaii and received all my major medical treatment through them for 17 years) were very positive.

As far as what questions you should ask...there is a page on this site at: http://www.anausa.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=118&Itemid=116 that gives you a great place to start with the questions. I say start because the answers usually generate more questions.

Again, welcome here, sorry you have to be here.

..thanks for being.. migoi
Arkansas Support Group Leader
The wild places are where we began. When they are gone, so are we. - D.B.
AN's only affect the smartest, most interesting people in a population.
On a hill in Onda, AR
http://www.facebook.com/migoi

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 09:06:01 am »
Hi Chris and welcome to this forum .....

So glad you found us and posted.  Migoi gave you a good link for questions to ask a doctor.  You might also send for the free ANA materials that will answer many of your questions and it will give you some direction of how to know where to turn for treatment.  See:  http://www.anausa.org/index.php?option=com_aicontactsafe&view=message&layout=message&pf=4&Itemid=195

Tell us a little bit more about your symptoms, etc.

Many thoughts.  Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Kaybo

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 09:32:21 am »
WELCOME!  You have received some excellent advice - I'm glad that Migoi was able to direct you some since he had his surgery there!  Ask anything - we are here to help!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

moe

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 10:16:04 am »
Chris,
Welcome to the forum! This is a great site for info (great job, Migoi!), feedback, venting, questions, etc.

I didn't have surgery at Tripler, but did give birth to 2 children there! (hubby stationed there in 1986-1990). It was a good hospital back then, I'm sure it is excellent now.

I had my tumor removed at Madigan Army Med Ctr in Tacoma WA. Excellent surgeon (trained at House Ear Institute in LA, which is world renowned), excellent hospital. (Just in case you have to go to mainland, would highly recommend Dr. Crawford there).

No need to rush, as long as your tumor is small. These are slow growing, benign growths on the hearing/balance nerve , also known as skull based brain tumor, or acoustic neuroma. Depends on how much sympathy you would like when explaining to people  :)

Hang in there,
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Mickey

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 10:32:18 am »
Hi Chris! As a Viet Nam era soldier, I thankyou for your service. Just wanted to let you know that as long as your AN is small and stable and you don`t have too many bad symptoms you have the time to make an educated decision on what your going to do. There are many sorces of information including the so many experiences of the great folks on this board. With today`s technology just wanted to give you some positive imput that everythings going to be allright. Best wishes, Mickey

chris75

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 11:45:03 am »
Thank you all very much for the information and support. As far as specs I was kind of in a little shock and have only had one meeting so far didnt think to ask size or anything basically asked about what treatments there were. I have my first appt with a nero surgeon in feb. Mr Migoi thank you for the information and will look up doctor Ramsey he may have been the one I already saw like I said was a bit of a whirl wind and kind of sluft it off i was told over the weekend by phone, and didnt realize that it was serious or even what it was called till tuesday. I will keep everyone posted again thank you so much for your help. For those of you that thanked me for the service I and all soldiers thank you for your support Mickey especially to you I have great respect for those who served before me you made a great sacrifice and i thank you.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 08:23:04 pm »
Hi, Chris and welcome to the forum.

Tim (Mr. Migoi) gave you some very wise advice.

Good luck on your AN Journey and please don't hesitate to ask us anything.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

kraynok2

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 08:42:54 pm »
Welcome to the forum.  As others have said, you have time to do a lot of research.  The information on this site was a great help to me.  I did about 100 hours of research before making a decision.  The others have given you very good information, so I will not repeat it.  But do send for the free materials.  They come quickly and have a lot of information.  Sandy

Lynn Mc

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, 09:25:10 am »
Good Morning Chris & welcome to the AN community.  You have received great info.  My main reason for commenting was to Thank You for you service.  As a Military Mom... One daughter in the USAF, son-in-law in the Navy, daughter Navy vet & son-in-law retired USAF, I really appreciate all of you.
Good Luck on your AN journey. 
Translab 01/22/10.  12 x 11.7 x 8.2 mm.
Dr's McKenna/McCall at Mass Eye & Ear,
Dr. Barker at MGH. 
SSD - No other significant problems post surgery, just some minor inconveniences!  Yipee!!
BAHA implant 04/08/11 Dr. Merchant
BAHA Gotcha 07/25/11
"Life is Good"

OTO

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2011, 04:49:52 pm »
Hey Chris75 - check out the discussion thread in the Insurance forum.   There is a thread being kept alive by an active duty (or maybe recently retired) military guy.   He might be able to give you info on Tricare or best things to ask re: treatment while in the military.  See if he will respond to a Personal Msg....  if you click on his name, you can send an email to him...

There also were a couple of threads by military members....  so if you use the search tool, you might be able to find those threads....    I remember a thread started by Greengiant or greengrunt... something like that.  I think he was in Hawaii too.  But I think he only posted once.   

I'm a civilian in Hawaii.   The local civilian doctors in Hawaii treat ANs but only occassionally, so a doctor friend recommended that I go the mainland for my surgery.   You want to go somewhere that treats these routinely and regularly(either surgery or radiation).... practice practice practice. 

See if Tripler will send you to somewhere that has neurosurgeons that specialize in neuro-otology.     You can send me a PM, and I can try to answer questions, but I don't know anything about Military healthcare...

chris75

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2011, 09:55:49 pm »
So after meeting with the first nero today I was told when i asked what size the tumor was said it was small right at 2 cm. I was wondering i thought that was medium size was also told to seek gamma knife over surgery. Im still partial to the surgery though

moe

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2011, 09:33:55 am »
Chris,
I THINK 2 cm is considered med. This is the frustrating part, trying to figure out what sort of treatment.
Any way you can get second opinion? That will help.
Ask if the  AN is near the brain stem, or ask if it is still in the auditory canal.
Keep us posted. There is no rush..... :)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Mickey

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2011, 10:06:02 am »
Hey Chris! Stay on top of things without rushing into whatever your decision will be. Get all the information you can and at the same time try to pick the best doctors by doing your homework. At 2 cm I would say your AN is borderline small-medium depending on the rest of deminsions and location. Your first MRI is your guideline. In any case depending on your symptoms, research, next MRI  etc. you will probably come up with a gut decisoin for whats best for yourself. Your young and strong and with today`s technology everything will work out fine. Best wishes, Mickey