Author Topic: Double vision (sort of) on non-AN eye?  (Read 5117 times)

mk

Double vision (sort of) on non-AN eye?
« on: January 15, 2011, 03:52:17 pm »
Something very weird happened to me this morning, and it freaked me out. After I woke up in the morning, it felt that I had "snippets" of double vision on my left (non AN) eye. It felt like looking through a prism, but not in the entire area of vision, just periperally and sporadically.  It is really very hard to describe accurately. This resolved completely after about 5 minutes.

Now, I know that double vision can happen when the 6th or 4th nerves are affected. Actually during my latest rounds of consulations, the doctors kept asking me if I have experienced double vision. But this was the non-AN eye.
Any other ideas? Has anyone every experienced this? Could it be a sign of early hydrocephalus? And if yes, wouldn't it affect both eyes? This has me quite worried.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

sunfish

Re: Double vision (sort of) on non-AN eye?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 05:39:44 pm »
FIRST THE DISCLAIMER:  I AM NOT A MEDICAL DOCTOR.  If you keep experiencing this, consult a medical doctor! However, what you may well have experienced is a visual migraine/optical migraine.  They are common, and harmless. I used to have them quite regularly, then they stopped for a few years, then I had one again two months after CK. These are migraine type activities in one's brain, without the headache.  Look this up on the internet.  There's other names for these, I don't remember what.  The prism type spots in your vision are called "scintillating scotoma,"  and they are the classic symptom of these.  What a mouthful!

After I experienced the one in May, I did gradually develop very mild double vision, and other vision problems which appear to be related to my vestibular (balance) system.

I'll bet you'll read the internet, and be quite relieved.  Important note:  visual migraines don't last very long - 15-20 minutes at the most.  If you experience stuff like this that is ongoing, you need to call a doctor promptly.
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 06:16:43 pm »
I had scintillating scotomas a few times the first year or so after treatment. When I described them to my eye doctor (an ophthalmologist), he handed me a xeroxed copy of his "visual migraines" handout, which apparently he does fairly often. They are not a big deal, although they certainly are weird.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 06:19:20 pm »
Marianna .....

I can certainly see why this freaked you out ..... and if it happens again, I would certainly contact your doctor for advice/reassurance.  sunfish's explanation sounds reasonable but as she says she is not a medical doctor.  A consult with your ophthalmologist might be in order, as well.  You just want to make sure it is not coming from the retina.

Let us know what you find out.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

mk

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 09:53:11 am »
Wow, thank you very much for your responses. I had never heard of "visual" migraines, so this was entirely new to me. The descriptions I read on the Internet make sense. I haven't experienced this since yesterday so I feel relieved.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

Cheryl R

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 12:46:56 pm »
I also have the visual migraine.  I get a bit of a blind spot and then the bright flashing zig zag lines for 20 minutes or so.    I just have to go lay down with eyes shut or sit if happen to be somewhere not at home.      It goes away and maybe a tiny bit of a headaches but usually not and life goes on.      I never had one at all till I was pregnant with my first child.       Was every couple months I had it and less since have been on Toprol for BP.   
                                                                Cheryl R       
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Keeping Up

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 08:37:46 pm »
Hey there ...

Was just signing on again after a bigger than usual hiatus ... I call them lightning bolt migraines.  I first started getting them (or at least noticing them) right after my AN diagnosis.  One of my team also had the same issue ... of course, we just made jokes out of them. (My protocol to lighten up  most everything!) If you tilt your head to the side or move way off your monitor you can still get work done, just at a much slower pace!!!! 

They happened very regularly at first but thankfully have become somewhat infrequent.  I sometimes get pressure headaches shortly thereafter.  For someone who never has a headache (touch wood), it was very concerning.  With time, my expectations for the typical path have become routine so when I do get them I am much less concerned.  (Knowing my luck I will have one tomorrow).  My observation is I get them when anxious/stressed/tired, a big storm is rolling in or my blood sugar is low. 

Hopefully you will be free from them and aren't any more serious than the descriptions in previous posts.

Ann
dx Dec/08 - 5mm x 8mm AN
'watch and wait'