Author Topic: BAHA ?'s  (Read 2340 times)

janieq

BAHA ?'s
« on: January 06, 2011, 11:19:39 pm »
After 8yrs. postop of my AN surgery, I decided to jump in and get a BAHA.

So far (one week down), my healing seems to be going very well.  Had a Dr.'s appt this morning and besides some normal swelling, it looks good.  I can shower/wash my hair as normal and my Dr. says that there's really no need for me to use Polysporin.  The plastic cap wouldn't stay on my screw, so I'm not wearing anything (not even gauze) - all okay with my Doc.  I've got some tenderness and minor pain but nothing a few Advil won't cure and I'm back to "normal" daily activities; however, a mid-afternoon nap is still needed.

My ? for those of you who have the BAHA is this - When did your Dr.  attach the transmitter?  My Doc (Dr. Harold Kim, Portland, OR) is comfortable with attaching it in 6 weeks from now (so 7wks total postop).  Have any of you ever attached it that early?  Everything I hear/read says 12 weeks postop.  :-\
Also, LADIES - did your hair get caught in the screw and cause you pain?  If so, what did/do you do?  I'm somewhat concerned about this because mine has already, and it's painful.

Blessings to you all!!
2.5cm neuroma removed TL 11/2002
St. Vincent's Hospital, Portland, OR
Dr. Sterling Hodgson
SSD - left side
BAHA surgery 12/2010
Dr. Harold Kim

~Worrying doesn't empty tomorrow of its troubles - It empties today of its strength~

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: BAHA ?'s
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 11:49:43 pm »
When you can attach your processor is pretty much up to your doc.

My doc went with 90 days, but my implant surgery was in 2008.  Since that time, Cochlear has changed the "equipment" that is implanted and it's supposed to calcify into the skull faster.  Faster calcification means you can attach your processor sooner. 

But this decision is best left up to your doctor.

As for hair wrapped around the abutment, I've never had this issue, but I've heard that those with curly hair have it quite often. 

Sometimes when I attach my processor I get my hair caught between my processor and the abutment on my skull, which is very painful.  It feels like someone is yanking very hard on your hair.  When this happens, I simply remove my processor, push the hair out of the way with my finger, and then reattach the processor.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
Re: BAHA ?'s
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 06:33:45 pm »
Ny doctor is very firm about the 12 weeks, even with the new guidelines.  However, that being said, each doctor is different and has different experience with patients.  I agree with Jan that it is totally at the discretion of the doctor.  I would ask him your questions and share your concerns.  I have curly hair, but it is longer now, and I blow it out straight....my only "entanglement" is just as Jan described.  It's a totally minor issue and easily correctible.  Good luck and let us know how it goes.
~Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego