Author Topic: Good news to report!  (Read 2971 times)

windy

Good news to report!
« on: January 04, 2011, 09:07:49 pm »
I had GK in Aug. 08.  I have not had what I would call an easy post treatment experience. Last year I posted my GK post treatment experience for the sole purpose to share in case others had a post treatment experience that did not go exactly smooth.  A trouble free post treatment period is what any patient hopes for, but does not happen in every case.  My objective was to help someone if they had some hurdles to overcome in their post experience path. 

Even in the midst of my post treatment experience I felt sure my radiation had worked.  Much to my dismay, I was told on my two year anniversary in Aug. 2010, that my tumor had grown, almost 2 mm in a 8 month period.  My neurosurgeon told me it was not usual.  He wanted to see me again around 4 - 5 months later for another MRI scan.  As my treatment was in Pittsburgh, I also sent my MRI scans for their opinions, as well.  I was told they saw cases of growth like mine in 4 to 5 percent of the cases with a 2% chance of resolve!!  Needless to say, those are very small percentages and not the kind you want to be in for sure.

I was put on MANY, MANY, prayer lists.  I really needed them, as I had already been told I was not a good candidate for surgery due to immune issues, so I really needed the radiation to work.

I went back last week and found out my tumor had not grown at all and had a possible 1 MM shrinkage in one angle.  I was thrilled!!  I felt prayers had been answered!!  The neurosurgeon said he felt I was "probably out of the woods" and "they would not have to do anything drastic at this point".  I am now back to a one year MRI schedule.  I still have some issues, but am so relieved to have this news that I feel more accepting of them. 

If your path is not always easy or not predictable, do not give up hope.  Things can still turn out well!  I hope I hear an equally good report at the end of this year!!   
* Diagnosed w/AN (9mm x 11mm x 9mm) - 6-10-08
* GK @ UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford - 8-5-08
* Stable MRI - Aug. 2009
* 2 MM's Growth - Aug. 2010
* Lost 60% Hearing - Dec. 2010
* More Growth?? - Wait & Watch - Jan. 2012
* 1 MM Shrinkage - Aug. 2012
* 2 MM's Shrinkage - Aug. 2013
* Slight Shrinkage - Aug. 2014

Kaybo

Re: Good news to report!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 09:20:38 pm »
Great news Windy!  I'm a STRONG believer in the power of prayer!

*thankful*
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

GRACE1

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 08:15:45 am »
That is truly wonderful news - just what you needed.  Prayers for continued progress.

Grace
Diagnosed 7/06: AN - right side: 1.3cm in transverse dimension, 6mm in AP dimension, and 6mm in cephalocaudal dimension.
GK 12/06- Wake Forest Univ Baptist Med Ctr
MRI 5/07- Some necrosis;  Now SSD
MRI 12/08- AN size has reduced 50%
MRI 12/11- AN stable (unchanged from 12/08)
Next MRI: 12/16

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 11:55:59 am »
Hi, Windy ~

Thanks for the good news!  Although, as you noted, radiation treatments cannot be guaranteed to be 100% successful for every AN patient, the odds of re-growth are quite small and if you find yourself within that small statistic, it can certainly be discouraging.  However, now that you're no longer part of the re-growth statistic group, I want to offer you my congratulations.  Like you (and many others) I'm a firm believer in the power of prayer.  That being the case, I have no problem attributing the complication-free success of both my surgery and radiation procedures to the many, many prayers that were said for me, as well as my own, of course.

Your admonition to those struggling with the fear (or the reality) of a AN re-growth is well taken and like you, we look forward to your receiving an equally positive 1-year MRI report.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 07:53:58 pm »
Fantastic news, Windy!

Congratulations!!!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 07:58:18 pm »
windy .....

Adding my well wishes on the good report.  Also add me to the list of believers in the power of prayer.  I truly feel my excellent outcome is directly attributed to the many prayers being said on my behalf.

Best thoughts for a continued good recovery.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

mk

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 09:53:29 am »
Hi Windy,

you know how happy I am for you. I wish you will keep getting such good results.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

windy

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 11:13:08 am »
Thank you all!  I appreciate your thoughtful responses.  It means a lot to me!
* Diagnosed w/AN (9mm x 11mm x 9mm) - 6-10-08
* GK @ UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford - 8-5-08
* Stable MRI - Aug. 2009
* 2 MM's Growth - Aug. 2010
* Lost 60% Hearing - Dec. 2010
* More Growth?? - Wait & Watch - Jan. 2012
* 1 MM Shrinkage - Aug. 2012
* 2 MM's Shrinkage - Aug. 2013
* Slight Shrinkage - Aug. 2014