Author Topic: BAHA  (Read 1745 times)

Vasili

BAHA
« on: June 16, 2006, 04:13:37 am »
Has anyone had experience with the BAHA device?  I am thinking of having one implanted and wanted to know if it made a big difference.  I read the article in the ANA newsletter which first peeked my interest.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: BAHA
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 05:42:00 am »
Hi Vasili and welcome!  Good to see you here!

On this site, there is a user named JoeF.  He uses the BAHA (not sure who else here does), but I'm sure he can help with questions.  I saw Amy's article in the newsletter as well and a terrific article it is.  Her description of being able to hear now with the BAHA is terrific and thrilled she was part of the process to help with FDA approval.

Again, welcome and we're here to help in any way we can.

Phyllis
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Hazelannb

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 10:49:35 pm »
Hi.  I got the BAHA last year.  It helps in some but not all situations.  When sitting at a round table, you can adust the settings so you can 'hear' the person on your deaf side.  However, in extremely loud environments, it doesn't work as well since there's so much competing noise.  In those situations, if you plug up your good ear and let someone talk towards the device, you can hear it in your head.  It's very cool in that respect.  I think it helps with hearing and overall, I'm very satisfied with it.  You just need to be aware it will not bring back perfect hearing.  I particularly like it in a conference room/business meeting setting where I can hear better from the far side of the room on my deaf side.

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 10:52:44 am »
I find it good for the office at work , good for going out to eat with friends, I can hear the person on my deaf side !!, TV at home .. but I cant lie down on that side ..

its not perfect, but its better than nothing! .. wind noise outside .. can't wear hats .. I just dont wear it out side .. most times I need a hat I woulld not want the BAHA on anyway (rain, fishing,snow shoveling ..) I'm still happy with it !

« Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 10:56:19 am by Joef »
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital