Author Topic: 6 month Post CK Checkup  (Read 2897 times)

TXAN

6 month Post CK Checkup
« on: December 28, 2010, 09:45:39 am »
I am 55 yrs old male from Houston, TX. I had a CK procedure at Stanford (Dr. Chang / Dr. Soltys) in 8/2010 for 1.9 cm AN in my right ear. I am due for an MRI and Audiogram for 6 month checkup. According to Dr. Chang and Dr. Soltys, I have an option either having the MRI & Audiogram done in Houston and mail the results to Stanford or flying to Stanford and do it there. I am weighing the option and would like to know if it is necessary for me to fly to Stanford for the checkup?

My post treatment symptoms are very much the same as pre-treatment which is 75% hearing loss, very minor balance issue and tinnitus.

Thank you,
TXAN

JLR

Re: 6 month Post CK Checkup
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 10:06:42 am »
I'm guessing your CK team whats to compare MRI's.  I am due for a follow up MRI in February and my doctor wants me to have the MRI at the radiology facility I first used, since the first one was a baseline, and he wants to compare even though I was willing to travel to the CK facility. Your report can be faxed and the disc can be fed ex'd.  Best wishes..JLR

Mark241

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 10:23:15 am »
Good Morning TXAN, I havnt' had a CK procedure, but I consider myself a veteran of the "Tube", 13 MRIs' and 5 CTs'. I live in NM, but travel to Phoenix for my NF2 issues. A majority of my imaging is done here in NM, and send my films out.  As long as the MRI has the the magnetic strength that your Docs' want, I dont' see a need to travel just for the MRI, of course if you wanted to consult with your medical team, face to face, then I would go. Hope it helps, and I hope the CK shows success.
4cm C1  16hrs                 Barrows, Jan 06      NF2
3.5 cm  Right AN retro       Barrows, Oct 06   
Cranial Plate removal           UNM Nov 07
LP                                   Barrows  Jan,2011
Wound revision                 Barrows Feb, 2011
5mm left middle Fossa,  (2) 2mm spine w&w

sgerrard

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 11:15:41 am »
I've never gone back to Stanford for follow up. It works to have it done locally and send it off. They prefer if you visit, because it makes their data and studies more consistent, but it is not necessary for your own health, unless something develops.

Best wishes,

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

TXAN

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 01:46:06 pm »
Thank you very much for all the feedbacks.

TXAN

Tumbleweed

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 08:59:59 pm »
I agree with what Steve said, with one caveat: the equipment at Stanford might (or might not) be better than what is available in Houston and might therefore reveal more. Stanford's Sherman Avenue facility (off-campus) in particular has the latest-greatest technology and provides superior imaging. The radiologists could see details in my films taken at Stanford that were difficult to see in my films taken previously in my home state; the enhanced views led to the discovery of a second brain tumor that was previously overlooked. Also, the audiology lab at Stanford is outstanding; the equipment and the audio booths are far superior to what I had access to at a major medical facility in my state.

All that said, it's very expensive to travel and Houston's facilities probably provide outstanding-quality imaging. Although I've made it a point to travel to Stanford for all my followup tests to date, I am now seriously considering having them done locally from here on out.

Best wishes,
TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 05:13:51 am »
Terrific feedback folks and thank you! Some of you may know that I am doing a guest-speaker spot at an upcoming radiation conference in Feb and this topic is key to my talk..... post-radiation follow up and how/where it should be done... and to help make sure that the radio teams, even if not local, stay in the loop in post-radio care for their patients.  BTW, Stanford will be at the conference! :)  I had my choice of mulitple CK locations during my decision making process..... I was fortunate that Boston (locally for me) offered CK, thus, I chose the route to stay local (since I couldn't afford all the travels that could add up for follow up care), but.... had it not been available locally, I would have traveled, even for major follow up (ie: yearly check ups, etc), with guidance for local follow up should an immediate/emergent need arise.

Just my 2 cents.... but truly appreciate what you all are noting. Taking notes to help with my presentation.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

crivers

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 10:39:36 pm »
TXAN,

I had treatment with Drs. Chang and Soltys in April 2010. I am currently living in Perth Australia. I have my scans done here and then I send them across. I communicate with Dr. Chang via email and he and I have agreed that we'll continue doing this long distance unless he sees a real need for me to come across. I am quite happy with the relationship - when I need something locally, Dr. Chang and his staff liaises with my local GP here in Perth.

For now it is working - good luck to you.

Cayce
Rt side AN - discovered
Jul 09: 6mmx4mmx4mm
Feb 10: 8mmx5mmx5mm

CyberKnife - Stanford - Dr. Chang and Soltys
April 5 - 9th, 2010