Author Topic: Getting ready for a FABULOUS new year!  (Read 5139 times)

Kathy M

• Kathy
Getting ready for a FABULOUS new year!
« on: December 27, 2010, 08:38:29 pm »
Hi to all of you!!!!

It's been a while since I've visited this site and as the year draws to a close, I have been thinking a lot about the special people in my life.  My AN family is in my top 10, that's for sure.  I have had one heck of a year (ahem..or two), and so many of you have been with me throughout this whole time  -  I am blessed many times over!!!

I am pleased to say that I have nothing horrific looming in terms of upcoming surgeries, maladies, treatments, or otherwise.  I will be working my first January since '08!  That seems so weird, but it's true!  My 1st AN surgery was Jan 09 and a year later, in Jan 10 - it was my 4th head surgery followed by the cancer surgery.  WOW!  Anyway, I'll be the white-knuckled driver goin' 25 MPH during snow flurries, since I'm out of the habit, but I'm road-ready!!

So....if I don't log in until 2011, I wanted to be sure to wish all of you a HAPPY NEW YEAR!! Thank you for being in my life, for lifting me up this year, and for being that place to come back to when no one can possibly imagine what you are going through or how you feel. 

Sending you hugs and lots of love from Ohio!

Kathy

PS  If any of you ladies know a great place to purchase adult-size stretch headbands (about 2 1/2 inches wide), let me know.  I have discovered that they are great to hold wound dressings on over my lovely non-healing wound on my head!  I have limited colors and am constantly on the lookout for resources!!!  I am being treated at the Ohio State University Wound Care Center, but geez it's a slow go.  I'm not convinced it will heal, but they are giving it a valiant effort and are very positive!!!  I remain guarded, but hopeful, as always!!!
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
Re: Getting ready for a FABULOUS new year!
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 12:02:47 pm »
Good to hear from you, Kathy!  I have been keeping that pesky head wound in my daily prayers.  Your journey has been a long one, with many twists and turns, and I hope 2011 allows your path to become a walk in the park :D :D.

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 04:16:21 pm »
Kathy ~

Thanks for the warm and sincere message of thanks you've graciously offered.  Your medical struggles, while often daunting, have been overcome with composure and a sense of humor that is remarkable and something we can all appreciate and attempt to emulate.  You have many 'fans' here and of course, we all wish you a magnificent New Year as you courageously step into your future. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

texsooner

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 05:05:55 pm »
Kathy,

Great to hear from you that you're doing well. I'm one of your fans that Jim spoke of. Happy New Year to you and family.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 05:12:33 pm »
Kathy -

great to hear from you.

I'm hoping to get to the symposium so I can finally meet you in person.

Drinks are on Steve  ;)  :D  ;D

Another fan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 05:42:41 pm »
I'm definitely a fan!! :-*

K ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 06:57:34 pm »
I'm definitely a fan!! :-*

K ;D

... as am I :)

Best wishes to Kathy... and to my AN family! :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 07:55:22 pm »
Kathy .....

So glad 2011 is starting on a very positive note for you ..... you need it and you deserve it.

I will keep my eye out for headbands.  My daughter-in-law had a magenta colored one on this afternoon, I will try to remember to ask her where she got it since she also lives in Ohio.

Prayers continue for healing for that pesky wound on your head.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 09:18:30 pm »
I already told Kathy when the Forum was down, but Laura found her headband at Walmart and they come in several different colors ...... in case anyone is interested.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 09:57:26 am »
I have bought dozens of those head bands for Elbee to wear during basketball. They should be readily available at Target and Walgreens. They have dark colored packs and bright colored packs. She has since discovered the gripper head bands and is wearing them this season, but she still wears the other ones to school.
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Kaybo

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 10:07:30 am »
Since we are discussing headbands...Addi has VERY curly hair (shocking, I know) and NO band will stay in when she is playing a sport.  We have just discovered ChicaBands and they work the BEST (not perfect but the "best")!  They aren't necessarily "thick" but I just thought I would share, in case someone else has this problem.  They actually are for runners.  They are pretty pricey and my mom and I have figured out how to make them ourselves (in all our spare time with her move).  The website is chicaband.com, I believe and if you are going to order, PM me because I have a code for a free one!!

K
*just sharing the joy*
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 07:19:37 pm »
You all are just great!  I've checked my local haunts (the Targets, Walmart, and the rest) and the headbands fit me too tightly - might be the size of my fat head or the tenderness of this wound (I'm hoping the latter!). 

I will definitely keep looking - the ones I have that work were found at a specialty shop for women in chemo -they are just right, but limited in colors and not anywhere online! 

Love the idea about the scarves - that could just broaden my possibilities!  I'm not very coordinated with tying things like that but I'll just bet my daughter might be!!!

Thanks all!!!  It's a snowy night here in Ohio.

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2011, 08:53:39 pm »
Kathy

1. Scarfs are absolutely the way to go... a nice pastel here... a nice paisley there... yep, I'm with scarfs
2.  Pls keep the "splenda" (ie: snow) and please don't send it east. I'm still digging out of last week's blizzard here in Boston.
3.  Feel the good vibes from me to you?  Yes?  Good :)  :-*

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 07:59:07 pm »
I'm feeling them, Phyl, I'm feeling them!!!  Thanks!!!

btw....we're supposed to get 5-7 inches tonight.....great.

BUT....this is the first January I've worked in two years, so I shouldn't complain!!

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011, 04:40:45 am »
I'm feeling them, Phyl, I'm feeling them!!!  Thanks!!!

btw....we're supposed to get 5-7 inches tonight.....great.

BUT....this is the first January I've worked in two years, so I shouldn't complain!!

Keepin' them comin' your way, Kathy!  You know it!

Storm heading our way in New England late tonight into Wednesday.... predictions here now at 10-15" of *ugh* "Splenda" with near-blizzard conditions (winds in excess of wayyyy too much for my hair!).  Me thinks it's time for sun and fun...... wishing I could follow up on that  :P