Author Topic: Happy & Healthy Two Years Post-Op  (Read 7428 times)

Lisa Peele

Happy & Healthy Two Years Post-Op
« on: June 14, 2006, 09:20:09 am »
I only had a few weeks from diagnosis to think about my surgery.  I had a 4+ cm tumor that was placing significant pressure on my brainstem (picture at left), so we had no other options (and I knew this as soon as my doctor showed me the MRI scans--he was pretty blunt).  I was 34 at the time, and had no obvious symptoms (other than diminished hearing in my right ear), and the diagnosis came as quite a shock.  I was scared and sad at first, especially once we had a consult with a local neurosurgeon and she explained the procedure to remove the tumor and the range of things that can occur through (and after) surgery.  I felt normal, but knew I would be signing myself up for a car crash of sorts by having the tumor removed.  I had no idea what my life would be like after I woke up from anesthesia.  I had four young children to care for…and I couldn’t imagine not being there for them in the way I always had.  I kept reminding myself that everyone is affected by health issues and other tragedies/traumas in life.  I thought about how many people each day are told "there's nothing more we can do for you/you should get your affairs in order".  I thought, "I don't have a terminal illness--I am lucky to have the chance at life.  I am going to make it through surgery, and I will do whatever I can to return to my family as myself".  I knew this was just our current challenge--one that we would overcome as a family, and would somehow weave into our lives in a positive way…

It’s been two years to the day since my surgery.  I am happy and healthy and am expecting my fifth child in August.  I’ve read so many stories from others who have been treated and are dealing with the after-effects of surgery or radiation, and I wish I could wave a magic wand and make their troubles go away.  I know we are all unique--as are our tumors, and therefore also are the situations we find ourselves in regarding treatment and recovery.   There just aren't enough good stories told--I know there are lots, but for some reason you don't find them when you get on-line.  I stay active on this board to give hope and encouragement to others facing treatment.  I'm on the board almost daily to see if there are others I can help in any way—but most of my interaction is “behind the scenes�.   I’ve made many friends through this board, and I cherish those relationships.  We are all lucky to have the concern and support of so many...

Please contact me if you would like any more information about what I experienced.  I will always respond as quickly and as fully as I can!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 03:11:37 pm by Lisa Peele »
Lisa Peele, 38
Dublin, OH
4.3 cm X 3.3 cm (right)
Translab.
House Ear Clinic (Friedman and Hitselberger)
June 14, 2004

luv2teachsped

Re: Happy & Healthy Two Years Post-Op
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 09:15:17 pm »
Lisa:  Glad to see your upbeat post!   I am one year post op and doing well!  I think we all need to be reminded how good life really is!  Thanks! luv2teachsped
3cmx3cm/translab 5/05
University of Michigan
Dr.Telian and Dr.Thompson

BAHA implant-4/07, processor on 8/07

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006, 07:31:21 am »
Lisa,

I have to say that reading what you just posted is probably one of the most inspirational reads here I've seen in a while. Congratulations on your 2-yr post-op (and congrats to you too, luv2teachsped ) and on the upcoming arrival of #5!  You are a pillar of strength in your words and attitude and like you, hoping others here that may be prepping for upcoming treatments (or fresh from a procedure) can also find strength in all that you have shared.

Happy 2-year!

Phyllis
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 09:40:17 am »
Lisa:

Thank you for your wonderful and positive account of your 'AN experience'.  I'm sure it will give hope to many.  It has to me.

Like most of us, I had no real option other than to have the AN tumor removed as soon as it was discovered on the MRI in May, 2006.  I read all the post-op stories, good and bad, and I prayed and hoped for the best.  The surgery took place on Wednesday, June 7th, 2006.  9 hours. I had a very experienced surgeon and a top-notch surgical team that monitored all the facial/cranial nerves during the surgery.  I was assured that they would avoid any nerve damage if humanly possible.  My surgeon said I was in excellent health going in so that was in my favor.  I was also determined to get through this and get my life back, once the tumor was gone.   4 days in ICU, 1 day on the 'ward' and I was home by June 12, with my physician's approval.

Now, I'm over one month post-op.  The surgeon managed to remove 90-95% of the tumor and will schedule me for final radiation/removal in August (moved up from October).  On my first post-op doctor visit, yesterday (June 19) Dr. Goodrich removed the surgical staples and  informed me that I was in the 'top 5% range' of recovery for this surgery.  He seemed a bit surprised - but very pleased.  My strength is slowly coming back, my balance is improving every day and my sleeping and digestive systems are also stabilizing now that the hospital-administered drugs are out of my system and I can sleep and eat on a 'normal' (non-hospital) schedule.  I am hard at work on the 'balance issue' so my doctor will allow me to drive, again, which I miss, as I feel over-dependent on my wife, who has been an absolute rock during this ordeal.  I do specific balance exercises and walk as much as possible, as my strength allows. 

I imagine looking back on this experience six months to a year from now and having it seem like a dream.  Although I know my 'AN experience' will always be a part of my life and who I am it is not the core of my existence but simply an experience to live through and assimilate into my persona.  It happened.  I survived it..quite well, too.  Life goes on.  :)

Jim

« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 02:19:09 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Lisa Peele

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 10:22:50 am »
It's now been just over three years since my surgery.  I am enjoying Life and am grateful for all of the experiences that have shaped me...even the tough ones.

I've had my fair share of challenges in the last several years.  In addition to my life-threatening AN at age 34, I’ve lost family members to cancer, been through multiple major sugeries with my oldest daughter, and my youngest daughter was born (last summer) with Down Syndrome.

But today, I feel like a truly lucky person.  I have seen so much goodness in the world, and through the challenges, have been able to see straight through to the heart of things.  When you go through life-changing events, you get the benefit of reflection and a new outlook on Life's priorities and what matters most.  I don't waste time anymore worrying about what other people want me to do, or to be.  I don't waste time being angry.  I am more understanding of people, and the unique situations and circumstances we are all in.  You never know what's going on in someone else's life and mind.  I've learned not to make assumptions about others. 

What I do know, is that we all seek to find meaning in Life, and we are all always in the process of becoming...

Sending all forum members my best,

Lisa
Lisa Peele, 38
Dublin, OH
4.3 cm X 3.3 cm (right)
Translab.
House Ear Clinic (Friedman and Hitselberger)
June 14, 2004

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 10:26:51 pm »
Lisa -

congratulations on your 3 year anniversary.  I found your words very uplifting and inspiring.  I, too, have had my share of challenges the last several years - infertility, nasty divorce, financial issues, etc., and I originally looked at my AN as just another piece of continuing bad luck.  But now I am 7 weeks postop and I truly believe that I had an AN for a reason.  I'm not entirely certain what that reason is yet, but I'm finding lots of positives in my life - from the great people I have met, to the support I have received from others, to the way I now look at things.  Like you, I've noticed that my priorities and attitudes have changed, and I look at others and their struggles in a whole new light.  Although having an AN and AN surgery weren't things I would have picked, my life could be a whole lot worse.  Today I am thankful for the good things in my life and I'm finding there are many.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways