Author Topic: Beauty salon sinks & headaches  (Read 9356 times)

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
Beauty salon sinks & headaches
« on: December 20, 2010, 12:56:40 pm »
I've read or heard for some years that salon sinks are bad for the neck and back. Those sinks really are so uncomfortable. Just recently, the salon I go to replaced their sink chairs with some that provide even less support for the back & put much pressure on my neck. The chairs are too low for the sink leaving a gap between my back and the chair backrest.

I thought that I had defeated the headaches that I was getting for a while in the middle of the night or very early morning. Since October, I've been waking up with headaches very frequently. Right after my hair appointment, I began waking up daily with headaches. Just before the next appointment, I get them less frequently. I'm beginning to wonder if those darned uncomfortable sinks could be contributing to this. My hair gets washed each time before my haircut or if I get it colored. I think I will have to wash it myself before my appointment. And, I will have to color my own hair.

I have complained & there are cushions that provide some support, which may work for those who haven't had head surgery. Post-surgery we are more susceptible to pain or injury & we need to be more protective of our necks.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

staypoz

Re: Beauty salon sinks & headaches
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 02:19:00 pm »
I have had the salon use a neck cushion ever since my surgery.  For a time after my surgery, I went to the salon with wet hair to avoid having to lean my head back into the washing bowl, but that was pretty early on in my recovery. 

staypoz

JLR

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 02:50:47 pm »
My sister-in-law has a bad back and neck..when she goes to the salon for just a cut she washes it before hand and when she has color she has it washed out by putting her head leaning forward into the sink, and it works out much better.

jennifer7

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 10:43:56 am »
The salon I go to provides a complimentary head massage, even the thought of someone massaging my head sends chills down my back.  And leaning back for the wash the last time left more uncomfortable through the rest of my visit.  At the very least at my next visit I'm going to ask for a quick hair wash.
retrosig 2/10/10 1.2cm
headaches, facial weakness, tinnitus
hearing preserved :)

Lynn Mc

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 09:57:26 am »
Never thought of this!!!  My neck is always sore after I get my hair cut.  Never attributed to the sink, which is very uncomfortable.    Just figured I did something stupid again!  Thanks for the insight.  Sometimes the answer is right under my nose & I don't see it.
Translab 01/22/10.  12 x 11.7 x 8.2 mm.
Dr's McKenna/McCall at Mass Eye & Ear,
Dr. Barker at MGH. 
SSD - No other significant problems post surgery, just some minor inconveniences!  Yipee!!
BAHA implant 04/08/11 Dr. Merchant
BAHA Gotcha 07/25/11
"Life is Good"