Author Topic: new to AN  (Read 5494 times)

TaylorsMom

Re: new to AN
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2006, 10:44:24 pm »
Maren,
Welcome to this very exclusive club.  My daughter (Taylor) is 18 and had a 4.8 AN removed on Feb 3rd.  It was found only 4 days earlier.  As you know everyones outcomes are different regardless of size of tumor.  Unfortunately she has had all the usual problems with recovery, but has come a long way.  After 12 hours of surgery she awoke with right-side facial paralysis, impaired coordination on the right side, right side vocal cord and throat paralysis, and the feeling her entire left side below her neck was asleep.  She was in the hospital 5 weeks.  She coudln't eat or drink without choking, couldn't sit up straight or walk let alone get in or out of bed by herself.  She is understandably very bored and depressed.  She was able to finish enough schoolwork to graduate high school with her class on May 21.  She walked into the ceremony and got her diploma without the walker or the cane or anything.  No, she doesn't walk normally yet, but she IS walking and slowly getting better.  She can now eat or drink anything she wants and rarely chokes.  No her vocal cord still doesn't move, but the other side is compensating.  Her face is still not moving but she gets itches and tingles.  Her facial nerves were not severed.  Yes she needs eye drops during the day and ointment and a patch at night.  Please remember you can't predict your outcome based on someone elses, but you have youth on your side and that is a big plus.  Yes it may be a life changing event but you will be OK and life will go on.  This forum is a great source of info and support and we're all pulling for you.  Keep us updated.  Best of luck to you.
Kathy 

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2006, 05:26:22 am »
Hi Kathy and thanks so much for Taylor's updates... I have thought of her often and truly appreciate her udpate. Please please give her my very best and huggles and wishes for a speedy recovery.. .and THRILLED she graduated! Congrats!

...and you hang in there too.  Taylor has a terrific mom and we know you need some hugs as well!

Phyl

Maren,
Welcome to this very exclusive club.  My daughter (Taylor) is 18 and had a 4.8 AN removed on Feb 3rd.  It was found only 4 days earlier.  As you know everyones outcomes are different regardless of size of tumor.  Unfortunately she has had all the usual problems with recovery, but has come a long way.  After 12 hours of surgery she awoke with right-side facial paralysis, impaired coordination on the right side, right side vocal cord and throat paralysis, and the feeling her entire left side below her neck was asleep.  She was in the hospital 5 weeks.  She coudln't eat or drink without choking, couldn't sit up straight or walk let alone get in or out of bed by herself.  She is understandably very bored and depressed.  She was able to finish enough schoolwork to graduate high school with her class on May 21.  She walked into the ceremony and got her diploma without the walker or the cane or anything.  No, she doesn't walk normally yet, but she IS walking and slowly getting better.  She can now eat or drink anything she wants and rarely chokes.  No her vocal cord still doesn't move, but the other side is compensating.  Her face is still not moving but she gets itches and tingles.  Her facial nerves were not severed.  Yes she needs eye drops during the day and ointment and a patch at night.  Please remember you can't predict your outcome based on someone elses, but you have youth on your side and that is a big plus.  Yes it may be a life changing event but you will be OK and life will go on.  This forum is a great source of info and support and we're all pulling for you.  Keep us updated.  Best of luck to you.
Kathy 
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Jen Doane

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2006, 12:59:45 pm »
Maren,

I was only 17 when I was diagnosed (one month away from my high school graduation).  That was 17 years ago.  My tumor was 4.5 cm on the left side.  I have signifigant paralysis on the left side and have no hearing on the left as well.  I'm sure to you this is a very frightening outcome  and I do not mean to scare you.  I want you to know that I have gone on to live a happy and productive life.  I am married with a beautiful 2 year old son.  I have a great job in the school system, and I was able to continue my equestrian hobbie / sport. 

When I was sick there was no internet.  All of the information my parents and I received was what we were told by the Dr's.  Use this wonderful tool to your full advantage! 

I wish you a speedy recovery!

Jenifer Doane
Living Well
AN ~ 1989