Author Topic: Hear with your eyes  (Read 2073 times)

russ

Hear with your eyes
« on: June 12, 2006, 07:03:04 am »
Hi!

Yes; I do want to look like this: http://www.engadget.com/2006/06/12/gaze-detector-lets-you-hear-with-your-eyes/
  Least ways I'd always have excuse and maybe THEN family would believe me.
  3 hrs. in MRI last week ( head, neck and spine ) at Mayo, Audiology, Genetics, and now at about 8 AM Monday, am about ready to leave for consults with the Otologist and Neuro/GK surgeon.
  What oh what am I going to do with 2 ANs on the vestibular nerve and 1 AN in the facial nerve? Nearing deafness and I would think the totality of that is expected for NF-2.
  The left side is post Translab so deaf already there with vestibular loss. Now; At 60% hearing loss right and no vestibular function.
  Will it be GK, Middle Fossa, do nothing, or what? Like that old TV commercial: "Will Somebody help me?" "I'm so and so and in debt ( 'medical dilemma debt' as to what's best ) up to my eyeballs."
  Have nice daze...

Russ

Static

Re: Hear with your eyes
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 10:21:02 am »
Russ,
You have always been here for everyone else.  Hope you can work this thing out.  My thoughts are with you.
Karen
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Karla83401

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 12:44:50 pm »
Russ,

You are in my thoughts and prayers. My heart aches when I think of the struggles that you must be facing and how difficult it must be to try to make decisions on what to do. Hang in there and let us know if we can help in any way possible.

Hugs,

Karla
diag. 2/23/06 left side
4x8x6mm bony area
1.4x.1.1x1.1cm brain area
waiting for surgery in May 06

russ

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 09:06:41 pm »
Hello;

Anyone who responded to my post...
  I guess the Drs would like me totally deaf before commencing treatment. I don't fully agree as some have pretty large ANs and can still hear well or at least some. It's more difficult treating larger ANs. Amen.
  Seems to me they are placing too much emphasis on 'real world hearing' vs. 'audio-booth hearing' where everything is ideal. Shoot; In a room larger than a bath room I can't understand a person 2 feet away, even WITH a hearing aid!
  Anyone look at the link, "Hear with your eyes"?
  Take care...

Russ

Battyp

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 09:11:56 pm »
Russ are cochlear implants an option?  I'm just curious as I was told and read that if I lost the hearing in my good ear they could do cochelar implants which also should diminish the tinnitus in both my ears.  i know it's not the ideal way to hear but it's something.  I know how frustrating this can be!  Hope things get better soon!