Author Topic: 2 days post GK  (Read 3501 times)

mountaincoll

2 days post GK
« on: December 12, 2010, 05:58:20 pm »
My sister had GK on friday for AN and was told she would be tired but able to go to work on monday.  She has been sleeping almost non stop, nausea, vertigo, and headache with a new symptom of hearing echoes.  In reading posts, I see that these are to be expected for up to 2 weeks post GK even though her neurosurgeon did not tell her that.  When her husband call ed the oncall neuro, he told him she probably has the flu.  That is obviously not the case.  I've seen posts for heat compresses and ice packs for headaches.  Her pain is partly from the pins in back of head and also internal from AN or treatment.  Any suggestions appreciated to help with her frustration and pain.  Thank you.

mk

Re: 2 days post GK
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 06:17:21 pm »
Hi,

I am sorry that your sister is having such a difficult time. I would say that extreme symptoms like this are probably the exception rather than the norm.
I didn't experience any discomfort after having GK, but I remember that before I was discharged I was given a few antinausea pills  in case I needed them (I don't remember the type). I never used them, and I threw them away, but maybe you could contact your sister's doctor and ask him/her to prescribe some antinausea pills. Also ibuprofen has been very effective for me. It is an antiinflammatory, as well as pain killer.

Make sure that your sister gets a lot of rest and if possible she should try to take a few days off from work.

I hope her symptoms will subside soon.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

sgerrard

Re: 2 days post GK
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 09:55:44 pm »
In addition to ibuprofen (such as Motrin), I found that Aleve worked very well. I used ibuprofen regularly, and Aleve on the days that I really needed it. They both can be rough on the stomach though, so I'm not sure how that works if she is also experiencing nausea. Although she is having it rougher than usual, I suspect it is just some immediate swelling and will pass soon. Don't hesitate to call doctors, though, and keep them informed of how she is doing, in case it is something else.

Hope she is better soon.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.