Author Topic: Look what those of us who are SSD are missing now! ???  (Read 5131 times)

Cynaburst

Look what those of us who are SSD are missing now! ???
« on: November 29, 2010, 11:21:32 pm »
Digital drugs: Is your child getting high on the Internet?

By Nicole Brochu

Sun Sentinel Columnist

November 23, 2010
Just say no … to your iPod?

That's what all the hullabaloo over a new "craze" among high-seeking young people suggests — that anyone with an MP3 player, a decent set of headphones and a computer can experience a downloadable high that packs the wallop of marijuana, cocaine, opium and peyote.

It's called i-Dosing, or digital drugs, and according to a number of websites and media outlets — including our own WPBF Channel 12 in West Palm Beach — it's all the rage, especially among teenagers experimenting with ways to achieve an altered state of mind. And if it's legal, and accessible, and i-Dosing is both, all the better.

The digital buzz is delivered over the ear buds courtesy of downloadable audio tracks (with droning, cacophonous collections called "Hand of God," "Gates of Hades" and " Genesis") that use binaural, or two-tone, technology to play different tones in each ear, altering your brainwave and recreating a buzz you supposedly can't find elsewhere without a prescription, or the help of your friendly neighborhood pusher.

While you can find the first "dose" for free, subsequent hits can cost as little as $1 for a quickie, or as much as $60 for 30 i-Doses, according to the WPBF story. And the Internet is abuzz with YouTube videos and other uploadable accounts of thrill-seekers in various stages of ecstasy after supposedly partaking of this hip, new cyber-trend.

The question is, is this a real concern, another reason to reach for the Tums as parents struggle to keep their kids safe from Internet perils, or is it a harmless fad, overblown by kids exaggerating an i-Dose's effects and by websites making a ransom off the gullible?

The Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs is taking no chances, warning parents that i-Dosing can become a legal gateway to more serious foolery. And Oklahoma's Mustang Public School sent home warnings to parents and banned iPods and cell phones in school, just in case.

"The bigger concern is if you have a kid wanting to explore this, you probably have a kid that may end up smoking marijuana or looking for bigger things," OBN spokesman Mark Woodward told NewsOK.

The other concern: If disappointed by the digital "high," some kids may turn to inexpensive, dangerous, and illegal, methods of intoxication like huffing and alcohol.

But others, like Psychology Today, scoff at the notion that binaural beat therapy is dangerous, explaining that the technology was discovered in 1839 as a way to research sleep cycles and treat anxiety.

So it may or may not produce a real mind-blowing high, and sorry, I'm not in the mood to test it out. I'm a little old for experimenting with mood-altering drugs that don't come in a bottle labeled "Chardonnay."

But this is what makes me uncomfortable about this supposed "craze," even if it's dismissed as harmless: Some of these sites sure sound like drug pushers, even if they're not.

I-Doser Labs, which calls itself the "industry leader in Binaural Brainwave CDs," says the technology is perfectly safe, and effective, and available only to those over 18.

Its website comes chock-full of testimonials from consumers who found its brand of out-there — seductively named "Speed," "Orgasm" and "Trip QH" — "mystic," "a MUST!!!" and a "rollercoaster" ride.

And it also doesn't just sell the cyber equivalent of a cocaine high. I-Doser Labs also peddles less explosive "study aids, sleep support, sexual assistance, meditational and spiritual tracks, and so so much more," brought to you by the same binaural technology that got you high as a cyber kite. And that's not all! The site also sells "legal marijuana," "mood-enhancement pills" and "legal hashish" to anyone who just so happens to be in the market for such fare.

But here's the come-on, like a whisper from a dark alley, that bothered me the most: "Do you have what it takes to be a Dose Dealer?" the site implores in its "affiliate program" offer. "Due to the hot press, some of our dealers are making THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS. How do they do it? It's as easy as … Research (become familiar with i-Dosing); Distribute (share banner ads and links); Get Paid (we pay you 20 percent commission)."

This binaural business is creating a buzz alright. But my question is, what else is it creating?

Nicole Brochu is an editorial writer and health columnist. Contact her at nbrochu@sun-

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
Re: Look what those of us who are SSD are missing now! ???
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 04:53:46 am »

yea, its a story thats been floating around (like the Brooklyn bridge for sale) ... I dont think we are missing anything...  ::)  ::)  ::)

I'll stick with my Jack Daniels  ;D
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 06:44:58 am »
Interesting, but I'm not sure what this has to do with being SSD  ???

Also, like joef, I don't think I'm missing anything. 

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 06:52:02 am »
Jan,

You have to have 2 working ears to be able to "benefit" from the i-dosing.  Put down the Jack Daniels and pay attention.   ;)

Interesting article though.  What will they think of next?

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Lizard

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 01:12:22 pm »
Wow, what will it be next?
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 03:49:28 pm »
I'm SSD and don't think I'm missing anything here.  However, it has long puzzled me why so many people, especially teenagers, seek to 'alter' their minds by some external mechanism, be it alcohol, some form of drug or now, aural-based 'digital drugs'.  Life is relatively brief and unless one is wallowing in a deep depression, I see no value in spending a lot of time outside of reality...but that's just me.

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Funnydream

• Texas in my room crying. Guys can't cry. DARN IT.
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 08:06:59 am »
I'm SSD and don't think I'm missing anything here.  However, it has long puzzled me why so many people, especially teenagers, seek to 'alter' their minds by some external mechanism, be it alcohol, some form of drug or now, aural-based 'digital drugs'.  Life is relatively brief and unless one is wallowing in a deep depression, I see no value in spending a lot of time outside of reality...but that's just me.

Jim 

Your going to live forever when your a teen. And anything that's a new experience is going to be shared with your friends.

There are youtube vids that you watch for a bit and then look away. And everything you look at for a good while is distorted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwaDi13ZeOI

So there you go. If your SSD and just have to try a digital high. Knock yourself out. I watched it one time. And I'm very sure that's my one and only time for the rest of my life.
Age 42, AN left, 2.8cm
left hearing gone, balance getting better.
16 hour Surgery 9-27-10 CSF leak fix 10-4-10 3 hours
Miracle I feel my left face and tongue again.
If we evolved from monkeys into humans? When do we stop being human and become something else? What would that something else be?

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 11:33:54 pm »
That video made me crazy, not high!
~Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 10:58:15 pm »
Interesting,  I keep wishing I could turn off the altered feeling I' ve had since AN surgery, and these kids keep finding new ways to alter theirs.
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

6pick

• Light a candle rather than curse the darkness.
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2010, 01:11:28 am »
Put me down for "experimenting" with different distilled and fermented adult beverages - known as "tasting" to some. I think I would pass on this i-Dose even if I had stereo.   ;D
5/21/10 diagnosis: Left side AN: size 25X17; tinnitus with variable volume, garbled word recognition, disequilibrium.

10/11/10 CK treatment@Stanford; Drs. Chang, Gibbs, Lieberson size 25 x 20 x 15 mm

4/24/12 size 23 X 20 X 15 no hearing change