Author Topic: Newbie-ish in NYC  (Read 1759 times)

tryston

Newbie-ish in NYC
« on: June 10, 2006, 10:01:11 am »
...not to be confused with Nebbish.

Hello All,

I was diagnosed in May with a comparatively teeny AN, still in my left IAC. I only have tinnitus in my ear now. Apparently, I've lost a little hearing but only in high frequencies and I am not aware of it. My ENT recommended a couple of surgeons that I couldn't find any real info on and when I happened upon this site was able to make a list of doctors that I wanted to meet here. I ended up seeing only Drs Selesnick and Gutin who I think are wonderful and particularly Patsey, Gutin's assistant. She's amazing. I have the impression that that woman could move mountains if she felt like it. I also spoke to Dr. Brackman at HEC the other day. They are all in agreement with a middle fossa approach. Well Gutin suggested retro because I've decided I would prefer to save my facial nerve over my hearing. I have been trying to decide on the WHERE. I live in Brooklyn but my family anad particularly my mother who has stepped right up and insisted on helping me through the ordeal is in So Cal. I have been thinking that I would prefer to recuperate in my own bed, in my own home with my kitty. Ultimately I guess I wish HEC was here in NYC. But I think I've decided to go West because it finally occured to me that it's one very important surgery and only a few weeks of recuperation in my life. I should go to the very best. While I was equally confortable with everyone, the amount of surgeries and reputation of House has also swayed me. My major concern was, needing to get back to work as soon as possible, I didn't want to be 3,000 miles away from my original surgeon should something happen later on. Brackman assured that it doesn't happen, if something is going to happen it would happen in the 4-6 week period that I will be there.  Anyone want to chime in here?

Anyway that's my story. I want to thank you with all my heart. You people, esp., Cap'n Deb, battyprincess and Ppearl are so remarkable! And the others that share what are to me virtual horror stories and your posts are almost always positive! Batty and Static, I am so pissed about your being laid off with no ssd insurance I could scream! And Cap'n, your headaches are starting to make MY head hurt! I can't believe you all are able to live through this and be so committed to the site.

I just thank you, thank you, thank you.

37 yrs old
8 - 10mm AN in left IAC removed 9/12/06
Middle Fossa
Drs. Brackmann & Hitselberger, HEC

Battyp

Re: Newbie-ish in NYC
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006, 10:04:23 am »
Tryston,
  Saying prayers that all go well with whichever choice you end up with.  Karla wench just had surgery with Brackman and she's doing wonderfully! 

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2006, 10:56:21 am »
Tryston,
HEI is one of the best--the people there are wonderful. What size is your brain booger? If you go to your profile and click on modify profile, you will find a place called signature where you can enter your current AN status, so we can have a frame of refernce on you.
Keep researching and posting and you'll get through it. Hang in there!
Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Karla83401

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2006, 11:18:31 am »
Hi Tryston,

Karla wench here to share a little bit of opinion about the House. I had my tumor (Tommy) evicted by Dr. Brackman and associates on May 16, 2006. I can sing nothing but praises for the care and support that I received from both the staff of the House and St. Vincents. I live in Idaho and have a 17 year old, a thirteen year old and a 2 year old who only have me as a parent. My husband passed away 22 months ago. It was also very scary for me to think about going so far from them and my adult children to have such a major surgery but I am so glad that I did. My sister flew in from Alaska and stayed with me for the first 10 days and then my eldest son flew down and helped me home.

I would encourage you to go the House especially if you want to if you want to have the best of care. There is a spirit at the House that I can not describe but I thinik that you will feel it there if you go there.

Let me know if you have any specific questions about the House or Seton Guest Center and I will try my best to answer them.

Best wishes,

Karla
diag. 2/23/06 left side
4x8x6mm bony area
1.4x.1.1x1.1cm brain area
waiting for surgery in May 06

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2006, 01:44:17 pm »

its your home away from home ...

http://www.stvincentmedicalcenter.com/patients/seton.htm

you will be there 1-3 weeks ..with a your small-ish size tumor, 1-2 weeks .. like staying in a holiday inn ...
and cheaper than living at home , I dont know how they do it!! my wife and I where very happy there...
(and she is picky about hotels being clean!)
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital