Author Topic: 5 days till surery---an emotional wreck  (Read 11519 times)

Kaybo

Re: 5 days till surery---an emotional wreck
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2010, 08:59:51 pm »
Try to get outside and take a walk...walking can do nothing but help you get ready for the recovery and the fresh air will do you wonders! 
Good luck!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

free2be

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2010, 10:06:38 pm »
Yvonne,

I'm certainly sorry you are having to go through all this and I'm sure having a little one makes it that much more difficult. But, he will be your strength to get through this; you will find more within yourself, when you really need it, to get better and get well. I can't really imagine what you are going through, and I'm sure having to stop your normal meds has only made matters worse. Try to keep in mind that not taking your antidepressants IS causing a lot of your difficulty and it isn't all "you." If you know what I mean. I'm sure it is hard, but as Donnalyn suggested, try to replace some of your negative thoughts and fears with positive ones. Just make yourself do it. I know it isn't easy, but it does help. You have lots of people "with you" in spirit and we're all good listeners; so, post away to get it off your chest if that will help you. You'll be on my prayer list. Hang in there and let us know how you're doing. It WILL be okay! Keep telling yourself that. You will handle whatever comes your way; just take one day at a time if you can. Kids are resilient and adjust to changes better than adults. Your son will be okay too!

Connie
Diagnosed Nov. 2008 Right AN 7 mm x 9 mm
Incremental MRIs enhancing mass
June 2010 1.4 cm x 0.9 cm extension into the CP angle
Pre-CK Stanford measurements 1.6 X 1.1 cm
9/29/10 - 10/1/10 CK completed with Dr Steven Chang and Soltys, Stanford.
6-month thru three year (8/13) follow ups MRI: stable

Brewers7

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2010, 05:08:37 pm »
I was diagnosed this time of year with surgery before Christmas.  I did a lot of power shopping.  Seems silly now, but it was my way of coping.  
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 11:24:24 am by Brewers7 »
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

Kaybo

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2010, 05:46:27 pm »
Brewers7~
I had my surgery on the 12th (supposed to be 7th but got strep) and I was consumed with getting gifts before also.  The night before my surgery, I had spray adhesive and red glitter making my little nieces "Ruby Red Slippers" (which you can buy now at WalMart or Target but couldn't back then!) for their Christmas gifts!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

JAndrews

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2010, 08:59:44 pm »
I had surgery almost 2 years ago. I am 40 years old and a mother of a 4 and 2 year old. I know what you are going through. My daughter was only 8 weeks old when I was diagnosed. You are going to be ok. Most of my recovery was due to depression and anxiety caused by the whole experience. I have no balance issues, no headaches and had no post op problems. I am deaf in the right ear and it takes getting used too. I am also a  nurse. If you would like to talk to me or email me, I would be more than happy to ease your fears.

Hi and welcome.  Your personal email address has been removed for your security.  Thank you for sharing your willingness to talk.  Folks can PM/email you here on the site where you can share personal contact info.  Again, welcome. Phyl
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 05:09:03 am by ppearl214 »
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.

JohnC23

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2010, 10:37:34 pm »
flier,

I will say a prayer for you and your family.  As you can see by reading this forum, you have a ton of friends on here to support you.  I don't post a lot on here but I learned a lot from the friends on here and it helped me after my surgery.  Good luck!  John
Suboccipital transmeatal, left side, April 7-2006 @ University of Cincinnati Hospital, Cincinnati, Ohio.  (Dr. Philip Theodosopoulos, Mayfield Group and Dr. Myles Pensak, U.C. Head and Neck Surgery)  4 year post-op MRI done Oct. 2010 and was all cear!

cin605

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2010, 10:24:39 am »
Hang in there and tie up all loose ends.....My way of coping was to clean,clean,clean.....My place was soo clean when i left...yes when i left...lol...when i returned my sister had decided to open the windows to get some air in and then my neighbor decided to smoke a pork  roast on thier smoker directly benieth my bedroom window...It was filled w/ stinky smoke smell...after your surgery you may be sensitive to smell the first week or so.In my room at the hospital i asked them to turn off the air becouse i was freezing and then the smell almost imediatly made me ga...so i had to call the nurse back in to turn it back on.So get your place smelling really good before you go!
I am a single Mom,I had to set up care for my 14 yr old,make sure the bills were paid and food shop,do all laundry and work.
i did not stop working till the day before i went in....
Like others said get outside enjoy the fresh air,have some good food....shop...and just breathe deep...
It will come and go....stay strong.
Best of luck for a speedy recoup.
feel free to vent more..we are all listening.....even if it is w/ one ear!
HUGS!Cindy
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old