Author Topic: CSF leak surgery  (Read 18377 times)

Mark241

Re: CSF leak surgery
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2010, 05:38:46 pm »
I might be able to help you out alittle. I didnt really regain my taste fully for about 4 months. My Doc had said it would take awhile for those nerves to heal themselves, which they did. I'm still dealing with csf, but it really never affected my taste. Good luck to you.
4cm C1  16hrs                 Barrows, Jan 06      NF2
3.5 cm  Right AN retro       Barrows, Oct 06   
Cranial Plate removal           UNM Nov 07
LP                                   Barrows  Jan,2011
Wound revision                 Barrows Feb, 2011
5mm left middle Fossa,  (2) 2mm spine w&w

Lizard

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2010, 08:59:47 pm »
Kenneth,
So sorry you were leaking again, but hopefully they licked it once and for all!
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

kenneth_k

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2011, 07:06:45 am »
This is not fun :(

I found myself in a position were I was unable to recover psychologically. So I have started to see a psychologist to help me get over my apparent depression. And now - guess what - I'm leaking again......

I'm seeing my surgeons on 10th march where we will discuss options. If the leak hasn't stopped by then, they will re-operate - extended version :'(

If anyone has ever had a subtotal petrosectomy with blind sac closure, please respond on sideeffects and if you are allowed to fly/swim once the wound is healed.

Needless to say, this has put me back several miles.

Best regards, Kenneth

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2011, 08:18:41 am »
Oh Kenneth .....

This is so unfair!!!  You have every right to be depressed.  So glad you are seeing a psychologist to help you through the current set-back.

Hopefully someone on here can shed some light on the surgical procedure you mentioned ..... I did not have to deal with a CSF leak or leaks as you are.  Surely this time it will be fixed for good.

In the meantime, many thoughts and prayers for healing.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2011, 12:29:24 pm »
My heart goes out to you.  My leak was persistent, but was finally resolved w/out surgery but not before I was hospitalized w/meningitis.  You cannot be faulted for being discouraged!  I will keep your situation in prayer. Hang in there!

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

Cheryl R

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2011, 03:09:15 pm »
Kenneth.  I had the subtotal petrosectomy and recovery was just like AN surgery.       My surgery for the facial nueroma had been 2 weeks before it so was just starting to do better when th e leak occurred.      They feel mine was due to their use of a new colloidal implant inside to help hold things in place and it did not work well as 3 people had leaks so they went back to the previously used type.     Thre was no scarring going on which should have been at that long of a time post op.       My surgery was only 3 hrs and I was back to my room and not in ICU.        Other wise just back up on my own walking right away and tired and not hungry much.     The wonderful bandage again.  Am sure took a few pain pills. This was in April 2006.    Mine was Fri night and home on Mon.   I did not hear if there was a blind sac done.    I do know they took more fat from the abdomen so I have 2 scars which mystified an Ob-gyn dr when he saw it.      I supposedly have a very large eustacian tube on that side.       There was full feeling for quite a while.     Was not told of any restrictions on flying and have since then with no problem.        There is muscle over the ear drum opening and no ear drum.        I occ get a few second twinge of pain in the ear even yet but is not frequent.   I see no reason why you couldn't swim in time.    I don't but heard of no restrictions.
     Not fun to have to go thru more surgery but if will help would be worth it.         Good luck with this.        Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2011, 03:48:33 pm »
Kenneth ~

I'm so sorry to learn of your newly discovered CSF leak and your bout with depression, which is not unusual when one has to deal with myriad and continuing medical problems over a long period of time.  I'm pleased to see you're seeking help from a psychologist as well as planning the next - hopefully final - CSF-related surgery.  You have my sympathy and of course, my prayers for the CSF leakage to be permanently solved and that your depression will lift as you're able to resume your normal life.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

BostonBill

• Aside from tumor, picture of health, living dream
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2011, 07:10:42 pm »
Hi Kenneth, I am sorry to read about your ongoing battle. I will be undergoing retrosigmoid surgery this June. CSF leak is definetly near the top of my, hope to avoid wish list. I am very active and the possibilty of CSF I hope will be a big deterent in me trying too much too soon. What is the leading cause of CSF leaks? Is it mostly stress? Please stay positive. You will get this behind you!
Diagnosed Dec 21, 2010, 1.75 x 1.75cm plan is for retrosigmoid removal scheduled for June 15th at MGH by Dr Barker & Dr Lee. Putting off so I may enjoy my sons senior year varsity hockey, lacrosse seasons and graduation. That and our annual trip to Cancun in May.

fav

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2011, 06:51:28 pm »
hi kenneth
so sorry to hear this.
have they given you the option of a shunt?
best
dan

Suu

• Better out than in.
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2011, 08:53:12 pm »
Hi from me too Kenneth

I had a hard time with leaks (4 extra ops in 6 weeks until they literally filled the whole eustachian tube with fat as well as doing a fat flap behind my ear due to how many weak spots had been caused from the operations.

As for the huge bouts of anxiety, depression, and crying episodes? I went to my local family doctor and begged for Vallium.  I was monitored and rung at home (I live 1 and 1/2 hours away).  The thing that got me moving in the right direction was finding that I wasn't alone.  It's this site that I credit for me 'coming around' and seeing that all hope is never lost and what was happening to me was normal.

I feel for you mate.  Unload here as much as you can and we'll give you the shoulder that we give each other.

Best wishes,
Suu (from Down Under) xxoo
4cm Left side AN Translab August 18th 2010
Facial nerve not working
Nerve conduction Jan '11 Repeated 23rd May '11
SSD left side
5 ops in 6 weeks to fix CSF leaks
Tarsorrhaphy 9 Mar '11 Extended 26 Aug '13
Sling Thur 16 June '11
12/7 nerve graft 9 Feb '12

kenneth_k

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2011, 12:20:16 pm »
Thanks for all your responses. They help.

Kenneth

kiwi

• Facebook
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2011, 01:55:00 pm »
Hi Kenneth

I hope my rundown on the the Sub Total Petrosectomy and Blind Sac closure helped.  It was not so bad and I'm glad my surgeon did this proceedure on me as it fixed it once and for all with no real complications afterwards.  At the time I thought it was overkill but when I read all those who struggle with operation after operation shunts etc, I think you might be better off with this procedure.
Keep us updated and I hope you get some relief soon.

Jacqui
3.6cm AN Left side diagnosed Dec 09.
Translab surgery 16th March 2010
Left SSD, Facial Paralysis
CSF Leak surgery 11th May 2010

Mark241

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2011, 11:34:59 pm »
Wow Ken, I can relate, I had mt LP shunt placed in January 2011, after 2 wound revisions. 2 weeks after, I started to leak from the AN incision site again. Had surgery again on Feb 8Th. The catheter from the shunt had moved from my stomach cavity to my liver, so It wasn't draining. They revised that, and also went back into the original AN incision 3rd time. They found that I had fistula that was draining out benign fluid, so they cut that out and placed fat into it. So far so good, but I have been there before. The shunt has worked though, I haven't had the taste of csf since they placed it, and I was relived that it wasn't' csf coming out of my head. I went back to Barrows for this surgery, I had let the Doctors at the University of NM try twice, didn't' feel confident in going back. I know your feelings, I have checked my pillow case, and towell after my showers, everyday for the past 4 years, I have also been to counselling not just for the leaks but for my NF2 issues also, I find that it has helped quite a bit. Feel free to contact me. 
4cm C1  16hrs                 Barrows, Jan 06      NF2
3.5 cm  Right AN retro       Barrows, Oct 06   
Cranial Plate removal           UNM Nov 07
LP                                   Barrows  Jan,2011
Wound revision                 Barrows Feb, 2011
5mm left middle Fossa,  (2) 2mm spine w&w

kenneth_k

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2011, 11:36:35 am »
Surgery date is set. 4th of April. My surgeon actually cancelled his planned day off to fix my leak.

A subtotal petrosectomy with blind sac closure it will be.

Until then - breathe in - breathe out - breathe in - breathe out.

Wish me luck, Kenneth

MNTim

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2011, 12:37:11 pm »
Good luck!
My prayers are with you.

Tim
8/31/09 hydrocephulus-emergent drain
9/2/09 5 cm AN debulked, Retro Sig Abbott NW
5/18/10 Second debulk, Retro Sig Abbott NW
1/31/11 Translab, 7/12 Graft Mayo Rochester, MN
2/12/11 Lumbar drain