Author Topic: CSF leak surgery  (Read 18381 times)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: CSF leak surgery
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2011, 01:59:34 pm »
Kenneth ~

Congratulations on securing a surgery date and, of course, I wish you the best of luck and hope (along with you) that your CSF leaks will finally be ended.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2011, 04:25:25 pm »
Kenneth....once again, good luck man....mega prayers being sent your way!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

kiwi

• Facebook
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2011, 06:56:17 pm »
Good Luck Kenneth

I look forward to hearing about your version of this surgery and I hope it is as successful as mine has been.  It will be a walk in the park compared to what you have been through so far.

Jacqui
3.6cm AN Left side diagnosed Dec 09.
Translab surgery 16th March 2010
Left SSD, Facial Paralysis
CSF Leak surgery 11th May 2010

kenneth_k

« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2011, 11:15:46 am »
Just got a letter from the hospital. They have to post-pone surgery for two days-  hrmph.....

Well, at least I know that they haven't forgotten me :)

Suu

• Better out than in.
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2011, 02:58:33 am »
Just got a letter from the hospital. They have to post-pone surgery for two days-  hrmph.....

Well, at least I know that they haven't forgotten me :)

How could anyone forget that smiling face  :P
4cm Left side AN Translab August 18th 2010
Facial nerve not working
Nerve conduction Jan '11 Repeated 23rd May '11
SSD left side
5 ops in 6 weeks to fix CSF leaks
Tarsorrhaphy 9 Mar '11 Extended 26 Aug '13
Sling Thur 16 June '11
12/7 nerve graft 9 Feb '12

para1

« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2011, 12:08:23 pm »
I have been reading these posts and I am very curious as to how you know if you have a CSF leak.  Is is subtle or extreme????  How can you tell?

kenneth_k

« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2011, 05:17:22 am »
For some it is quite obvious. Clear watery liquid dripping constantly out of the nose or out of the incision.
For others it may be more subtle. A swelling at the incision. Dripping after straining or the sensation and taste of salty fluids running down the throat.

For the rare and unlucky, it may not be visible at all before you catch meningitis that may be recurrent. Thorough examination may then reveal a very small leak somewhere inside the skull.

Best regards, Kenneth

MNTim

« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2011, 07:46:20 pm »
Para1,

I have had several craniotomies and was concerned about CSF leaks every time I had a runny nose.  After my most recent surgery I discovered what the symptoms really are.  It is not like a runny nose but as Kenneth said very watery and a constant drip coming from the nostril on the side of the surgery when you bend over.  If you are swallowing it the taste is extremely salty, like if you ate a spoonful of salt.  I also had a leak at the incision and it would make my shirt collar wet.  Apparently headaches are another symptom but I never experienced them.

Hope this helps.
Tim
8/31/09 hydrocephulus-emergent drain
9/2/09 5 cm AN debulked, Retro Sig Abbott NW
5/18/10 Second debulk, Retro Sig Abbott NW
1/31/11 Translab, 7/12 Graft Mayo Rochester, MN
2/12/11 Lumbar drain
3/14/11 Eustacian tube packing procedure for CSF leak
2/28/13 Platinum weight & Tarsorrhaphy

staypoz

« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2011, 01:21:23 pm »
Fluid can also leak from your ear.  Mine dripped from my ear and the ear was constantly moist until the leak was surgically repaired. 

staypoz

para1

« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2011, 03:24:22 pm »
Thanks....I have just been concerned because the back of my head, where my incision is, swells us and is mushy and I didn't know if there could be a possible leak.  Thanks for giving me a description of the symptoms.