Author Topic: BAHA beeping and shutting off  (Read 3984 times)

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
BAHA beeping and shutting off
« on: November 23, 2010, 04:30:58 pm »
I went to see the audiologist today.  The entire three weeks I was in Africa, my BAHA was beeping with the low battery indicator (though the battery was new) and it frequently just shut itself off.  It continues since I am home, but with less frequency.  She made some adjustments to the sound quality (which will not help the other problems).  We decided to wait til after Thanksgiving and then send the processor back if the situation continues.  I know from what I have read on this site that others have had the beeping issue.  Has anyone had the unit shut itself off?
~Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

ombrerose4

Re: BAHA beeping and shutting off
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 07:56:58 pm »
I had a similar problem and called Cochlear. They provided free return shipping via Fedex and returned it to me fixed within 7 days. :)
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 10:38:04 am »
Dale -

I had the beeping problem twice.

First time I sent it to Cochlear and they fixed it.  They promise a 5 business day turnaround time for repairs.  Make sure you tell them where to return your processor when it's fixed.  I was able to have mine returned directly to me because it wasn't programmed by my audiologist.  If your audiologist programmed yours, it should be returned to her so she can reprogram it.

The second time I had this issue it resolved itself.  Don't know how or why, but I didn't have to send it back to Cochlear which made me happy.

Make sure when you insert your battery into your processor that you really push it in so that it makes good contact.  If it's not making good (full) contact, that may be part of the issue.

I've never had the issue with my processor shutting itself off so I can't help you there.

Good luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

dalern

• www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 11:09:40 am »
Thanks, Jan.  I thought maybe the humidity in Africa was the problem, and I also just let my hair go curly...no blow dryer.  But I always dried the abutment with a towel and Q-tip.  However, the audiologist told me that  that should not cause beeping.  She thought it might cause sound distortion or a weaker sound, but that actually did not happen.  But, it is still happening, just less, since I have been home.  I will wait til after Thanksgiving.  She said she will send it back for me.  It is under warranty so it should not be a problem.  She reprogrammed it for me yesterday and we started from scratch.  The program that Cochlear suggested was not as effective as what she was able to do by starting over.  She also made my third program a music setting (for theater, opera, symphony or lectures) as I was not seeing any difference between the second and third programs.  We'll see how this goes.  Thanks for they input.
~Dale
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 11:17:24 pm »
My 3rd setting is for music also, but I only use it with my MP3 adapter.

I'm curious to see how you think it works in a theater, opera, symphony or lecture.  Haven't tried it in any of these venues yet.
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

dalern

• www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 12:38:49 am »
I was at the theater the other night.  I have excellent seats and was always able to hear pretty well there.  However, I was paying close attention to see how it made a difference, and I think the thing I noticed the most was I had more of a sense of "surround sound".  I never knew I was missing it, but the difference stood out.  I even turned my processor on and off to hear the difference!
~Dale
Tarzana, CA