Author Topic: Tinnitus better after surgery?  (Read 3146 times)

Adrienne

• I'm a postie now, and it feels so much better!
Tinnitus better after surgery?
« on: November 17, 2010, 09:23:50 pm »
An acquaintance has been told she has an AN.  Her only symptom is really loud tinnitus.  She originally thought that surgery would cure her of the tinnitus, and therefore was willing to go through with it to 'cure' the tinnitus.  I hated to do it to her, but had to burst her bubble and inform her that not only does it not cure it-surgery can CAUSE it (as it did with me).

But then I got to wondering........are there any documented cases of people on here that had their pre-treatment tinnitus get better or go away after surgery or radiation?

Just curious......

Cheers,
Adrienne
3.0 x 3.0 x 2.5 cm AN, left side.  Diagnosed Feb. 19th,2009
Retro Sig surgery with Dr. Akagami and Dr. Westerberg on May 26/09 at Vancouver General Hospital
SUCCESS! Completely removed tumor, preserved facial nerve, and retained a lot of hearing. Colour me HAPPY!

cecile k

Re: Tinnitus better after surgery?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 09:56:25 pm »
Hi Adrienne:

I had mild tinnitus prior to surgery - much worse after but perhaps that is also because I lost all hearing on the tinnitus side as well.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 01:59:38 pm »
Hi Adrienne .....

This does not answer your question ..... but I am with you ..... no tinnitus pre-surgery, major tinnitus following surgery.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

kiwi

• Facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 08:05:51 pm »
Hi Adrienne

I had tinnitus before and after my AN surgery, but after my CSF leak surgery which involved losing my ear canal, ear drum and most of my middle and inner ear, I no longer have tinnitus.  Although I wouldn't wish such a drastic surgery for your friend I am relieved that the constant ringing in my ears has gone.

Jacqui
3.6cm AN Left side diagnosed Dec 09.
Translab surgery 16th March 2010
Left SSD, Facial Paralysis
CSF Leak surgery 11th May 2010

Suebedo

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 08:17:11 pm »
Not better - just different. Before surgery it was like a fax machine in my ear most of the time. Now it's more like a lawnmower or something in the next yard. Not as obnoxious but sometimes still so loud I have trouble hearing (and I sitll have 80% on my AN side). 
Diagnosed with AN June 10, 2009. Mid fossa surgery 9/30/10 at University of MN. Tumor over an inch at that time. CSF leak after surgery. Eight years later, regrowth. Starting the decisions all over again.