Author Topic: New member says Hi!  (Read 7481 times)

mandy branham

New member says Hi!
« on: November 15, 2010, 04:32:45 pm »
Hello,
I am new here, and WOW I thought I was alone, guess not, THANK GOD!, I am still waiting to see the surgeon, and the waiting is driving me batty, and I don't need any help in that area  ;D, I see the surgeon on Nov.30TH, at least it is much closer than it was when I was scheduled, anyway I have had so many questions answered right here, awesome to say the least, it almost makes me feel special, NOT, i would rather not be special, I will say I am thankful for finding this site, as now I can ask questions of those who are in the same boat, as of right now i am just over whelmed and there are no questions, that is subject to change quickly  ;D
diagnosed Oct.15Th  2010, right side An 2.5cm x 1.9cm, 80% hearing loss, waiting to see surgeon on Nov.30Th

"GOD WILL SEE ME THROUGH"

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: New member says Hi!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 05:11:23 pm »
Hi, Mandy - and welcome.  Like you, we're sorry you have a reason to be here but glad you discovered the ANA website discussion forums.  Feel free to ask any question (we may actually have an answer), vent and whatever else you feel a need to do.  We'll support you all the way.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 05:19:42 pm »
Mandy

As Jim did welcome to the site.  It is truly amazing that this forum can and will help you through this very hard time.  At first you are not sure what to do or where to go.  In time if you continue looking at this site the fog starts to clear.  But sure to ask plenty of questions and the time to make the right decision for you. 

Best of Luck
TJ

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 05:32:33 pm »
Hi Mandy and welcome!

If you have not already done so, send for the free ANA materials.  There is a wealth of clear, non-threatening information in the packet.  http://anausa.org/sc/apps/forms/forms.cgi

Of course, we are always available here on this forum to walk you through this journey and support you all the way.

Best thoughts.  Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

DHJ

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 07:04:33 pm »
Hi Mandy     My tumor appears to very similar in size and symptoms as yours, except mine is on on the left side.I have been  waiting and watching for almost three years now and continue to work and enjoy life. At some point treatment will be needed. Take your time and try to relax as you meet Doctors and research treatment.There many great options and we will be OK.     Peace Dave J
3yr wait and watch on left sided 2.9cm AN is over surgery 11/4/2011 Mckenna/Barker at MGH one year MRI 11/12/2012 all clear

Kaybo

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 07:26:26 pm »
Hi Mandy & WELCOME from TEXAS!!

Glad you found us - please let us help you however we can - ask questions, rant, whatever...If you would like to chat, PM me your phone number and I would be happy to call you!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

mandy branham

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 08:52:39 pm »
WOW!!!
I posted and left, I had no idea i would get so many comments, I am just tickled, I have support, GOD IS GOOD!

I do have something going on that i haven't seen not that it's not here but rather I just haven't found it, I have been have some problems with my nose, only on the AN side, I have to blow my nose after I eat, as soon as I wake up and when I am tired even more, and no I don't have allergies, and I have a bit of pain in my cheek on the right side as well, the pain comes and goes, and the saliva thing, I have way to much at times, ok that is enough wining for now, i just can't believe I have others who understand..................hate that I have this, VERY GLAD I FOUND YOU!!!.................lol................sounds like a corny song  ;D
diagnosed Oct.15Th  2010, right side An 2.5cm x 1.9cm, 80% hearing loss, waiting to see surgeon on Nov.30Th

moe

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 08:59:03 pm »
Hi Mandy,
Yep there are regulars here who respond quickly to newbies.
I can't relate to your symptoms, but wanted to welcome you. This place is great.
Questions?  Ask away. Lots of humor here too. Helps buffer the stress :D
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

mandy branham

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 09:06:08 pm »
I do know that attitude plays a big part in how this whole thing plays out, and if I am going to get through this I have to first trust GOD and second not let it take what life I have, and yes humor is one of the blessings we have if only we choose to use it, after all I do have a brain, pictures to prove it  ;D and i have come to see that this is just another part of who I am and how I deal with it will help others, and yes I have more questions, but I will get theses answers first,........................THANK YOU, THANK YOU THANK YOU,

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 09:07:32 pm »
Mandy .....

I am not a doctor and I did not have the symptoms you are describing but it does sound like it could all be related to the AN.  Are these symptoms new or did you have them before you were diagnosed?  I hope you have mentioned them to your original doctor.  If these are new symptoms, I would call the neurosurgeon's office and tell them about it to get an opinion as to whether you should be seen before November 30th.  Just make sure one of your doctors is aware of these symptoms to see what he(she) says.

Let us know ..... now you have a whole forum of caring friends!

Clarice

mandy branham

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010, 09:26:31 pm »
No I didn't have all of this before the diagnosis but some of it I did, I am on a call list, I have let them know, it is just so amazing how many things this can cause, I am still in shock, but I know as soon as I walk into that surgeons office I will get my slap of reality, I just want to get on with my life, as we all do, I have a wonderful hubby who is just being a rock for me, ( a soft cuddly one) and now i have this as well, :)

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2010, 09:42:34 pm »
Hello Mandy and welcome to our little club!! I am sorry you HAD to be in this club, but now that you are here, you get all the benefits of this membership!  As everyone said and you no doubt have seen, you can ask questions, rant, blow off steam...whatever!! Let us know how the surgeon appt goes, ok? Take care!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2010, 09:39:40 am »
Mandy .....

I am so glad you are on top of things.  Hopefully you get a call to come in sooner.  It never hurts to call the office and tell them these new symptoms are very troubling ..... you know the old "squeaky wheel" adage!  There are times when it is the right thing to be aggressive.

Those wonderful hubbies are a Godsend ..... especially when you hear shocking news.  Unfortunately my husband was not with me when I received the diagnosis because I was so sure the report would be negative.  Never again ..... he goes with me to every appointment now!

Many thoughts and prayers!

Clarice

mandy branham

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2010, 10:01:24 am »
I just don't know if my symptoms are just my over thinking or if I am truly feeling more symptoms, I have never been that way in the past, but then again this has never been an issue before ether, and I have been researching a lot so that I am informed, I know I will get through this, just reading all I have read here has given me so much incite, and the fact that I can finally express how I am feeling is great.

moe

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2010, 10:57:41 am »
I just don't know if my symptoms are just my over thinking or if I am truly feeling more symptoms,

Mandy,
Very common to be more aware of your symptoms once you find out that you have the bugger in your head, and to think that the symptoms are "worse." The mind is amazing.
I was actually kind of RELIEVED to hear that I had the AN, because it pinpointed why I hadn't been feeling right for years. (mine was insidious, slooooooow growing over they think >20 years)
So glad that you know it is there, and it is still within the size for radiation  and time is on your side.
Dang holidays are coming up, but don't let this thing get you down. ;)
Maureen

06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty