Author Topic: new patient needing some quidance  (Read 8225 times)

novagirl

Re: new patient needing some quidance
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2010, 10:45:59 am »
Hi Tu - welcome to the site! I am 34 (diagnosed last year when I was 33), so I definitely can relate to what you are saying about wanting to have a normal life dispite this diagnosis.  My AN is a bit smaller than yours, but I was also initially told that surgery was my only option. I sought out a CK center myself and am now of a strong opinion that CK is definitely an option for younger people even though a lot of surgeons would tell you otherwise. I've been watching and waiting for over a year now and decided that I'll go for CK the moment my AN shows any signs of growth/new symptoms. Surgery vs. radio is a very individual choce. For me, quality of life is VERY important. And seems with CK I have much better chances to maintain my current quality of life. But again, these are my reasons for making the choices that I've made. Regardless of which way you decide to go, this is a great place to look for information and encouragement. You will be just fine. This is treatable and there is definitely life after AN.
Best wishes. Stay positive.
Right AN 10 x 10 x 7 mm - dx 7/28/09; w&w for three years
CK at Stanford October 2012 - Dr. Chang and Dr. Soltys
Oct'12: 15 x 14 x 10 mm
Oct'14: 12 x 6 x 5 mm

nftwoed

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2010, 02:55:00 pm »
Tu;

Does Jefferson offer radiation of any form? At 2.5 cm you are closing in on that 3.00 cm size limit so location may be an important factor due to possible tumor swelling, post irradiation. Your AN is bordering on large, so, an oncologist who still does FSR ( as Dr. Gil Lederman in NYC ) may give good results as the hypofractions allow for a greater overall radiation dosage.
   University of Pittsburgh Medical Center has an excellent gamma knife radiation record. Massachusetts General as well.
   Best wishes in your Tx. You should be fine with it. I wouldn't jump right away at translab surgery if you still have hearing that side. My feeling is a second opinion is worth it. This is a potentially life altering decision.

ReneeK

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2010, 05:05:02 pm »
Hi Tu,
I have just gone through a fight with my HMO (Healthnet) regarding House I'm in California. I am scheduled for surgery 11/30/10 (Dr. Friedman) and at the last minute denied the surgery  >:( I then filed two grievances which were denied and I was told I had to see "any" neurosurgeon at a medical center "in" network. I then filed a complaint with the HMO helpcenter, which were really no help at all as they toild me the same thing. I felt I was being forced to see this doctor!! I was beyond angry. My third and successful solution was to contact the operating engineers union, which is where our insurance is from under my husband. They said that I could switch to the PPO plan that they offer effective 12/01/10  :D and there is no pre-exsisting condition. House institute is contracted with Blue Cross, so my surgery date will be postponed by a week. It has been a horrible couple of weeks, but hopefully all of that is behind me. Hope this may help in some way.

Good Luck

tu

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2010, 01:51:03 pm »
thanx soo much everyone,
I really appreciate all of you for reading and posting your thoughts and experience.  So far I've send my info to HEI, too soon didn't get a reply yet. Having appt with Jefferson monday. At this point still haven't decided the procedure yet...surgery..radiation..surgery..! Uhgg this is really tough. Just the though of all this is so stressful. Thanx again friends... Have a wonderful holiday everyone.

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2010, 07:53:32 am »
You might try an advanced search on this site. Type in the major city you are living in or near and you can probably pull up some doctors in a few posts that have treated ANs in your area. I did that, and Priscilla answered my post, and we exchanged a PM. Her doc became my doc,and because of people like her on this site, she has played a major role in my recovery. There is a lot of good information in the archives here, and most people will be happy to share their experience with you. I had some one PM me about my experience through an archive search, and it really is a benefit to talk to "one of us" instead of a doctor. I still would not advise you on how to be treated, but I would tell you about my experience. Good luck to you. I live in Austin, so I'm not much help to you today except for the advice.

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2010, 08:59:38 am »
James, what I did for you, Brian did for me.  It was a privilege to "pay it forward" and share in what I and others have experienced in the collective wisdom of this forum!
Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.