Author Topic: vocal cord  (Read 4111 times)

adriana

vocal cord
« on: June 02, 2006, 09:03:40 pm »
A year ago I had a 2.00mm A.N. removed, lost my hearing, have paralysis if the face,  a gold weight in my eyelid, my vocal cord was paralized, could not speak, difficulty swallowing, I was on puree food for months. My Drs. suggested  I get a "Teflon Injection" a temporary "procedure" to help me talk and swallow better. I didn't. My voice is back (almost normal) I still cought a lot, my throat gets too dry. Did anyone else go thru this? Thanks for listening

Battyp

Re: vocal cord
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 10:37:28 pm »
you had a 2MM not CM tumor removed?

I had a 2.5CM tumor removed last august and am having problems with my throat.  My tongue is numb and half of my face.  I do ok swallowing with most things.  I do have trouble with dry crunchy small pieces of food and pudding consistency.  I do the cough thing and dry throat thing.  It's so frustrating!  I have facial numbness (I dont' feel my face, eye, nose, mouth etc..but have movement and tone) not paralysis. 

Is your speech slurred at all?

Raydean

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2006, 04:42:20 am »
Good Morning Adrianna

My husband also had the problems that you mentioned.  He found that it helped to keep water and hard candy mints ( the ones that comes in a tin altoids(ms?)  near him.  For some reason sucking on mints seems to help with the coughing episodes.  Others have mentioned sucking on lemon candy also helps.  We also keep water and straws near by all of the time, even set a bottle of water on the night stand at night, carry it in the car ect.  This also helps to keep the throat from getting so dry.

With facial paralysis it's important that you monitor your dental health.  It's a subject that the doctors don't discuss much.  Due to decreased salivia, (salivia protects the teeth and buffers them from cavities) and numbness  things develope at a faster rate.

Thinking of you
Raydean

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

russ

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2006, 05:43:21 pm »
 Hi Adriana

A full year ago, but might I ask if somehow the largynx was damaged during the insertion of the anesthesia tube?
   Many have a problem post op with sore, dry throat and difficulty speaking but I wonder, this far out from surgery?
   I'm glad you've improved somewhat. What a frustration to add to frustrations from the pre op, op, and post op recovery!
   Do you really mean a 2 mm? Or, 2 cm?
   Best wishes!

Russ

DeniseSmith

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 07:14:18 am »
Adriana,

I also have difficulty swallowing.  The left side on my throat does not seem to work very well at all.  I was out to dinner last week, ate some soup, started choking and puked at the table.  Yeah, not too pretty.   I was extremely embarrassed, so as the soup nazi, says "NO SOUP FOR YOU!" (Seinfeld)  ;D

Denise

Battyp

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 06:04:23 pm »
Oh Denise..I love that episode..we have a place here we call the pizza nazi's  LOL.  I threw up on one of my employees.  I'm now so paranoid it will happen with the kids trying to teach.  How well do you handle small crucnchy foods?  I find they are hard to eat and usually choke me.

matti

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 07:26:17 pm »
When I chew or swallow, the AN side (left) always feels so weak.  I choke on my saliva quite often. I eat very, very slow, I know it annoys my family, but I have no other choice  :(

No soup for you! (And remember don't ask for bread)  I LOVE Seinfeld, (my lab is named Cosmo)
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

DeniseSmith

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2006, 06:26:07 am »
I am a big Seinfeld fan too. ::)

Michelle, I do okay with small crunchy foods, but have to have plenty of water on hand.  I tell you what.... I have never liked water, and now it seems all I can drink is water.  ironic huh?  i have tried that Crystal Lite flavoring stuff, but on my "dead tongue" (my boyfriend calls it that) it doesn't taste very good.  Seems like the only taste buds working are the sweet ones, and my scale says I don't need anymore of those!!

Okay, here's something else stupid i did this weekend.   I did a shot of tequila through a straw, i don't recommend it!   Okay first of all it burned the back of my throat like hell, secondly it made me puke (like the soup incident).

Obita(Kathy, my friend), if you read this I fell prior to the tequila shot!!  :P

I tell you what, trying to get back to a normal life sure is tough!

Denise