Author Topic: Need suggestion on doctors at NY  (Read 2990 times)

AN?

Need suggestion on doctors at NY
« on: June 02, 2006, 04:10:46 pm »
Hi:
I am still trying to recover with the reality of diagnosis of AN. I am 37 and my tumor is small 5mm. I have met Dr. Smouha at Mt. Sinai and I am meeting dr. Anil Lalwani at NYU and dr. Post at Mt. Sinai in next  2 weeks. I will appreciate any feedback regarding any of these doctors Dr. Lalwani or dr. Post. What I have realised is that since my tumor is small and I don;t have any hearing diffculty (my only problem is ringing in the ear and balacne loosing sometimes), doctors are kind of confused what should be the best approach, whether wait and see and detioriate the situation or taking the risk of side effects of AN surgery and go for it.

any comment will be helpful

tony

Re: Need suggestion on doctors at NY
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 04:34:53 pm »
At that size you do have options - surgery, radiotherapy, or wait and see
You also have the time to investigate all three, and get other opinions
In the end it is your choice, but its a good idea to get all the info possible first
best regards
tony

AN?

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2006, 09:49:56 am »
Thanks Tony,
do you know anything about Dr. Lalwani or Dr.Post or Dr. Smouha? I have seen the name of Dr.Post in this forum and he seems to be very well known. But I am not getting any info about Dr. lalwani at NYU or Smouha at Mt. Sinai. Also, who else I can see in NY area? Dr. Selesnick at Weill/Cornell has stopped taking my medical insurance hence I couldn't go to him.

tony

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 02:39:35 pm »
I have no direct experiance of these surgeons
- best bet is to widen the question to the group as a whole
are there any out there with a recommendation in the NY area ?
Best regards
Tony

HLM

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2006, 06:42:09 am »
I used Jack Wazen, MD and Michael Sisti, MD at Columbia for my surgery in 1994.  Felt very comfortable and confident with them. Good luck to you all.

MAM

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2006, 10:54:24 pm »
My daughter (25) had a 2cm AN removed by doctors Roland (neuro-otologist) and Golfinos (neuro-surgeon) at NYU Medical Center on June 7th. We had previous consultations with Smouha/Post, Selesnick/Steig/Gutin, and Brackman at House Ear Clinic. We felt the most comfortable  with and were very pleased with Roland and Golfinos. They have been working together as a team for 11 years and have a lot of AN experience. They are very personable, patient, and quick to answer questions. Our suggestion would be to go with the team that you feel most comfortable with. Good luck.
MAM