Author Topic: Is it normal for hearing to decrease more 2yrs post-op  (Read 2799 times)

cin605

Is it normal for hearing to decrease more 2yrs post-op
« on: November 03, 2010, 02:00:58 pm »
My hearing in my bad ear has decreased significantly in the last 2 months is this normal?
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Is it normal for hearing to decrease more 2yrs post-op
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 02:10:22 pm »
Cindy ~

In my non-doctor's opinion: it may not be precisely termed 'normal' but it is a relatively common consequence of retrosigmoid approach AN removal surgery.  I'm sure a real doctor could offer you a more complete and wholly credible explanation.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

cin605

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 02:22:41 pm »
Thanks Jim......Put a call in..of course theywant to do ANOTHER complete audiology work up......last one was July...i had word recognition then .....now i have none when i cover good ear.....
I just realized this post may have to go to the hearing section....Move it if you want.. ;D
43yrs old

Lizard

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 08:11:04 am »
Sorry to hear that your hearing has decreased, I felt mine was doing the same over the last few months, but come to find out its holding strong where it was post-op.  I asked the audiologist why it would feel like my hearing decreased when it actually had not and her explanation was pretty simple.  This is my problem and may or may not be yours only your audiogram can give you that answer, but basically the AN ear ignores sounds that are directed at both ears.  The good ear trumps the bad ear, if you will, making the hearing seem even more diminished in many circumstances.  However, if a sound is directed at the AN ear and the good ear is not receiving the sounds as loudly, like someone speaking directly into the AN ear, the sound will be picked up.  Now whether we can decipher what is being said, now that's a whole different story  :)

Please let us know how the audiogram goes.
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

cin605

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 09:59:07 am »
I am sort of frustrated at the moment....Going for nerve abaision next week.....Dartmouth put me in for audio work up and follow up w/ olotariangologist/ENT directly after....Dartmouth is two hours away...app at 1:30 and 2:30.....Jan.18th,2011
I have to get my sister to drive becouse i can not drive long distance w/o falling over when i get to my destination or having my head spaz out.....GRRRR....well i am not going to fret about it now....maybe i will be back to normal after this nerve block...2 1/2 years out....I want my life back!!!!!!!!!!!!! ::)
I think i am going to look into getting a hearing aid...soooo....Dartmouth is probly the best place to start..since they are the experts here in N.H.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 10:02:07 am by cin605 »
43yrs old

Lizard

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 12:44:49 pm »
Cindy,
Its hard to know if it will work and that's part of why these blocks are used as a diagnostic tool as well.  I must say for me that the block has been the best thing to treat my head pain.  We did a series of 4 of them and has greatly decreased my discomfort.
Good luck to you, sorry its such a long drive to your appointments, but hopefully all worth it  :D
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt