Author Topic: gamma or ck standard treatment option?  (Read 2242 times)

Battyp

gamma or ck standard treatment option?
« on: May 30, 2006, 11:50:05 am »
I'm extremely frustrated today..just got off the phone with an attorney who said yes, your doctor was negligent in care however, gamma or ck is not considered a standardized treatment of care for An's according to the info he's gotten.  Just wondering where he's getting his info.  Does anyone have an idea of how long gamma or ck has been a viable treatment option for AN's? 

thanks,
M

russ

Re: gamma or ck standard treatment option?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 01:49:18 pm »
Hello;
  Might that depend on the insurance company? I believe all radiation types are considered as valid methods of treatment by Medicare.
  Just a thought...
  Best wishes to you in this!
  Russ

Mark

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 01:53:27 pm »
GK was first used on acoustic Neuroma's around 1969-70 in Sweden and actively since then. I believe it was introduced into the US based on the Studies I've seen around the mid 1980's in facilities such as Pitt and UVA and has been a routine option for patients easily for the last 15 years. The other newer generation machines have come out at various stages in the 90's, but are all based on the same biological principal established by GK. Your attorney is wrong or not asking the right people about whether GK was an accepted standard of care option at the time you were treated. Clearly, many insurance companies have been paying for and teaching medical centers have been utilizing radiosurgery for many years.

Mark
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001

Obita

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 05:21:07 pm »
Batty:

When I was diagnosed in March of 04 my ENT explained GK and surgery to me. Then I met with the surgeon and he gave me the the name of the GK dr. to explore my options.  GK has got to be "the standard" as well as surgery. (but, of course I don't know for sure).  

Good luck,  Kathy

ps:  no one even knows what an AN is........wonder what he is reading.....
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Battyp

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 05:39:09 pm »
Thanks guys, I know he's not up to speed on this.  I'm trying to help educate him.  They lost a case a few  years back and said that was the basis but I don't agree. 

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 06:18:47 pm »
When I wa first diagnosed, I asked the ENT who came to my hospital room to give me the bads news if there was any form of radiation for this tumor and I got an unequivocal "No." Can you believe it?
Captain Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Battyp

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2006, 06:27:40 pm »
It amazes me how uninformed doctors are in regards to this.  I just found a web site that stated gammaknife has been a form of treatment for the past 10 years.  My thought is if medicare and medicaid covers it then it's a viable form of treatment that should be given as an option.