Author Topic: Waiting period for hearing "aid"?  (Read 4602 times)

6pick

• Light a candle rather than curse the darkness.
Waiting period for hearing "aid"?
« on: October 24, 2010, 05:18:22 pm »
It seems that I either read it or was told that we should wait a while before trying to acquire a BAHA - I don't know, maybe to see how things are working out. I got the impression from that that a waiting period was encouraged before getting any other hearing device like a TransEar or SoundBite. I guess I never brought it up to my doctors and therefore never got the information one way or another.

So let me put it out to my forum family. Of course there is no reason to wait to do research, but is there a reason to wait after CK to actually get the device for use?

Mark
5/21/10 diagnosis: Left side AN: size 25X17; tinnitus with variable volume, garbled word recognition, disequilibrium.

10/11/10 CK treatment@Stanford; Drs. Chang, Gibbs, Lieberson size 25 x 20 x 15 mm

4/24/12 size 23 X 20 X 15 no hearing change

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Waiting period for hearing "aid"?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 09:01:04 pm »
Mark -

typically BAHA candidates who had AN surgery have to wait for their heads to heal if they decide to have the BAHA implant surgery after the AN surgery (not when the surgeries are combined).  I don't think that BAHA candidates who had radiation need to wait at all, unless their docs think their hearing loss may be due to swelling of their tumor.

As for hearing aids, I've never heard of anyone having to wait post radiation - or post surgery for that matter.  If someone else has heard differently, I'm sure they will chime in.

I wonder if those who had surgery with the translab approach have to wait if they decide on the TransEar, since it fits into the ear canal. 

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

6pick

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 12:47:08 am »
I can't imagine why I'd have to wait,  but, that's why I'm asking, because I can't imagine why.
 Thanks for your help and wisdom, Jan.

Mark
5/21/10 diagnosis: Left side AN: size 25X17; tinnitus with variable volume, garbled word recognition, disequilibrium.

10/11/10 CK treatment@Stanford; Drs. Chang, Gibbs, Lieberson size 25 x 20 x 15 mm

6pick

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 10:47:11 am »
Thanks, Donnalynn,

(I posted this on "Hearing Issues but it applies here")

I called my insurance [a few days ago] to see if BAHA or TransEar are covered. After many "I'm not sure(s) . . . it depends on(s) . . . " I asked if my phone inquiry would be better made by my doctor. The customer service lady perked right up and said yes because they have all the information needed.

At this point, rather than confuse things with the blow-by-blow, I'll just say that so far it appears that the follow-up appointments made for me for MRI, Audiogram and consult in April will breach the subject of hearing device. If this is the case, it would have been nice for someone to have informed me. But I'm not complaining. I'm truly grateful for everything: the doctors, the insurance, the forum, the fact that there are hearing "aids" out there that can help, that my "alien" is benign - everything.

So, I guess the question is, "is that how & when I'm supposed to find out?"

Mark

6pick

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 03:31:16 pm »
I'm sorry, Donnalynn, I am kinda vague sometimes, and at other times my dry sense of humor doesn't help to make me any more clear. I was asking if it's typical for the doctors to breach the subject of hearing devices (BAHA, TransEar) at the 6 month follow-up MRI and audiogram consultation?

While I don't deny that it's usually a good idea to consider a sound regimen of vitamins, rest assured that the communication failure is more likely due to what I like call my 18 year attendance at my "familial school of communication". In other words, 16+ years of school couldn't erase some of the poor communication skills I learned growing up. Go figure.

If I'm still not clear, please, keep pounding   ;D

Mark

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 12:14:41 pm »
Mark -

I thought I posted this on another thread, but it might have been someone else's thread and you may not have read it.

If you are considering the BAHA and want to know about insurance coverage, contact Cochlear (www.cochlearamericas.com)

They have a division called OMS that will do the leg work to answer the insurance coverage question for you.  This division didn't exist when I was trying to get insurance coverage, but from what I understand it's a great resource and those who have used it are quite happy with the results and the help they received.

Even if you decide not to go with a BAHA, at least you'd have the insurance question answered.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

6pick

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 09:08:38 am »
Thanks, Jan,
I'll check it out. It's always good to know one's options. I do remember reading your post about OMS at Cochlear somewhere now that you mention it. Thanks for giving the link out again, I'm going to go there now and bookmark the page.

Thanks Donnalynn,
Frankly, I'm ok with waiting until spring to see the docs, but my wife is getting pretty tired of repeating herself   :-\  .

I don't know what I'm going to do, and we're expecting a fairly large family gathering for the holidays. Might be a really good time for a trial spin . . .  ::)

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 12:04:38 am »
Mark:

My Dr. told me she had scheduled BAHA surgery for an AN patient of hers almost 1 year after the surgery. Shortly before the surgery, the patient cancelled the surgery because she had regained her hearing. How much? I don't know, but she was no longer a candidate for a BAHA. I'm guessing this patient didn't have translab surgery.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

6pick

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 09:38:17 am »
That'd be my guess . . .